PDA

View Full Version : All about Complainers.

cuda1179
14-08-2009, 15:37
I'd like to think I have a decent grasp on the rules. Every now and again though I find that I miss-read something or I am trying to used 4th edition rules because of how similar the editions are.

In a friendly game I don't so much mind this happening no matter who makes the mistake. It's just simply pointed out, corrected, and we move on. That being said, I ran into one guy that just could not let things go.

It was supposed to be a friendly gathering of local people. Every time I made a rules error he tried to rub it in my face, but when I tried to correct him he would swear up and down he was correct and would almost insist we play things his way until I showed him a quote in a rule book. Then the next turn I would have to do the EXACT same rules argument again.

In the 3rd turn I started rolling well and killing vehicles. He actually yelled at me when I rolled on the damage charts and when I rolled to roll the blast radius. They were "his" tanks, he should be rolling on the chart. (By the way, which player is supposed to roll that?)

Let's just say that things went down hill after that. Maybe he was just having a bad day, but I couldn't stand being around him.

Normally I would just opt not to play him again until I saw him acting more acceptable, but I don't want to rock the boat in a small gaming community.

Mannimarco
14-08-2009, 15:50
you kill the tank you roll the blast distance, thats the way we do it anyway

the nightbringer
14-08-2009, 15:53
Just make sure if he's always like that with other people. If so just avoid him.

kurac
14-08-2009, 15:58
Really, who rolls the damage dice?

Captain Micha
14-08-2009, 16:00
You blow it up, you roll it. Spelled out in the rule book.

Templar_Seer
14-08-2009, 16:01
What does it matter? It makes zero difference.

EVIL INC
14-08-2009, 16:08
I agree so long as SOMEONE rolls the dice. If my opponant wants to roll it, fine by me. I just want him complaining AFTER I roll or both of us to roll at the same time.
Considering the whole picture though, yeah, I just wouldnt play them as the game is meant to be fun. Not going to let that sort of player ruin mine. If enough people shun playing him, he might get the picture.
If you dont have a choice, keep relevant pages in the rulebook marked for the occasions you feel he will start on.

SharpSilver
14-08-2009, 16:16
Someone sounds sour that you actually turned around a game and gave him a fight.

guillimansknight
14-08-2009, 18:24
If you mess up in the rules and especially if you confused editions I wouldn't care at all
the only time I insist on rolling the dice is for my saves

The Orange
14-08-2009, 18:49
Sounds like a pain in the ****. It's easy to make rules mistakes in a game not everyone is a jerk about it. If this guy isn't fun to play with/against don't accept another game with him. Just politely refuse the next offer and tell him he's simply not worth the fuss, you just want to play and have a good time, not get into a shouting match, etc.

Billpete002
14-08-2009, 19:26
I generally say before a game that I am rusty on some of the rules (for not always playing 40k or Fantasy) so I take my time and ask questions and if something smells fishy (usually not) then I ask to see the rule OR if there is a time constraint I ask we roll a D6 on a 4+ it goes 1 way and vice versa for less.

Really if a person want's to bicker and complain I explain without raising my voice my opinion and my thoughts on the rule - there's no reason to yell or get angry. I really feel some people take these games WAY too seriously, it's like if I hit their kid or called their wife a dolt and fat.

It's a pity not all GW have a bar attached to it like GW HQ... Could just say "let's pause and take a breather over a pint?" or some such.

orkz222
14-08-2009, 19:28
when I tried to correct him he would swear up and down he was correct and would almost insist we play things his way

In the 3rd turn I started rolling well and killing vehicles. He actually yelled at me

WAAC rules lawyer?

dont play him.

14-08-2009, 21:06
What does it matter? It makes zero difference.

it makes a huge difference...my loaded dice will blow it up his loaded dice will keep it safe :D

Shadey
14-08-2009, 23:52
Show him 'The most important rule' but point out the addendum that says "and don't be a douche"

Seriously though, you get those kind of people in every social setting, probably the best thing you can do is as has already been suggested, not play him again.

TheEndIsHere
15-08-2009, 01:29
He plays like my (only) opponent.

You roll, and if he doesn't like the roll, he says he wants to roll.

Never roll for him, just let him.

ONE THING: He rolled a dice, it fell and ended up under a couch, he put his hand under and said OMG I got a 6! (hooray for unseen rolls) I was VERY peeved off but decided to let it go, it cost me my unit (I think it was my monolith) but he is a very big whiner, so I let him do it.

NEVER AGAIN.

D-End

Absolutionis
15-08-2009, 02:44
I actually don't know who rolls the dice, and I have played games where (like an armor save), the defender rolls the dice.

In all honesty, I never cared as long as someone did it, and I have never seen an ARGUMENT about it.

Kriegfreak
15-08-2009, 02:47
The person who kills the tank rolls the dice, but even then it doesn't really matter much anyways.

ThePrecious
15-08-2009, 04:32
If you ever have problems with falling on the floor our rule is that if it falls out of your hand or on the floor, whether it is a succesfull role or not, you reroll it.

Somebody once tried to pull a "if you cant hit the table with your dice and it falls on the floor, then how can your men hit the enemy?" so any roles that fell on the floor automatically missed. I thought this was stupid, I always let anyone else reroll dice on the floor, but unfortunatley he was the tournament director. So, uh, they missed. What is your opinion on "the floor misses" rule?

Devil Tree
15-08-2009, 07:48
The only time you role damage dice for your own tanks is when you fail to appease the Dice Gods and they inflict really bad scatter roles upon you.:cries:

Imperialis_Dominatus
15-08-2009, 08:07
The only time you role damage dice for your own tanks is when you fail to appease the Dice Gods and they inflict really bad scatter roles upon you.:cries:

That has happened to me too many times. Apparently the shell bounced off the enemy's codpiece and hit my tank.

Oh, and "All about Complainers?" *looks around* I don't have to say much, just wave my hand around the forum. This is Warseer.

Shadey
15-08-2009, 08:54
;)

Better to have us all here bitching than inflicting us upon Johnny Noob.

Imperialis_Dominatus
15-08-2009, 09:16
No, if we inflict ourselves on Johnny Noob, he becomes as bitter and hateful as we are. And that's a good thing. Because the way we are is the way the game should be.