PDA

View Full Version : I talk about 40k more than I play 40k

Latro_
14-08-2009, 16:48
Be honest, do you end up talking, chatting, writing lists, thinking up combos, posting on WS etc more than you actually spend playing games in an average week?

MrInsomniac
14-08-2009, 17:01
More than I care to think. I buy a codex when it comes out, create a list (or 10...) and think of all the things I'll do. Then never get round to it. I've created numerous Gorkamorka and Necromunda lists and have just got into Inquisitor28. Hopefully I'll actually be able to have a few games before the next release comes...

Signal
14-08-2009, 17:09
Yeah, I talk about it more often than I play it. I don't feel too bad about that fact because it's kind of like sports: People talk about professional sports WAAAYYYYY more often than they have ever actually played any sports.

I will admit, though, that all too often I run into people who speak as if they are strategic and tactical 40k geniuses, and yet only average a game every other month - if that.

the nightbringer
14-08-2009, 17:25
I know someone who has created two fantasy armies and statergies for them but has NEVER! played a game of fantasy. Can't complain though because they (the armies) look great.

Lord Cook
14-08-2009, 17:27
Oh God yes.

TheEndIsHere
14-08-2009, 18:23
I know someone who has created two fantasy armies and statergies for them but has NEVER! played a game of fantasy. Can't complain though because they (the armies) look great.

Been "playing" 40k since I was 12, I think I had about 6 games, 0 losses, maybe a ties. Turning 17 in 2 months. I havea about 4k pts of necrons and 1.5-2k of nids, never played with nids though.

Played against the same guy everysingle game I've had (he is a horrible opponent and not only tacticly, he says he never lost except the games he played against me, he plays like a child and acts like one (he's older though, but I know him from school), he is the reason I shelfed my armies.) (still haven't fixed everything he broke)

D-End

grissom2006
14-08-2009, 18:24
have to say 50/50 :D

Makiaveli
14-08-2009, 21:29
RL gets in the way of me trying to find an actual club, and so stuck with a few friends, and since it's a minority in our little group the odds that us 40Kers can get together and have the majority to say OK tonight we kill some Chaos!! is rare. Or it happens, and I can't make it due some so-called emergency (oh come one, that hardly requires stitches...can't you wait?)

I kid, I kid. :angel:

Tho a long time ago, in a Financial Universe far far away, I did know a guy who stopped into the store one time to buy some Magic cards and who kept saying he was in a hurry. Finally after about 10 mins he said the wife was in the car. We (me and the other owner) asked how she was doing and he said Oh she's having the baby, we're on the way to the hospital. :wtf:

Mojaco
14-08-2009, 21:40
Anyone visiting this forum likely is :)

trapper
14-08-2009, 21:43
I play2-3 games a week. Im on these forums mostly every day now (heck, have the laptop open as I paint). So I figure I play my fair share, but I talk about it even more. (edit:)Though if we are counting painting/modeling as playing then I do that more, as Im generaly painting (blasted guard) when Im on the site, and when Im with friends we're generaly actualy playing a game if we're talking about it, or watching a game at the least.

RCgothic
14-08-2009, 22:00
Hell yes do I talk about it more than I play. Throw in modelling/painting and I still talk about it more. Wish I played more, but is difficult to get games.

AtnaShadow
14-08-2009, 22:18
I play fairly often, but I talk about it way, way more than I should. A lot of my good friends play, and while we might have one or two times a week that we actually have time to play (which means maybe two of us actually end up playing), we end up talking about it off-hand all the damn time.

naked_surfer
15-08-2009, 00:24
I paint most, then talk, then play. Although im hoping to increase the amount I play once I've got a sizable enough army painted up.

Matt D
15-08-2009, 00:31
are we counting painting as playing? if so a play more than i talk and or read about it.

weasley!
15-08-2009, 00:53
Yes! So badly yes! :D

I generally end up talking about fluff (I don't know if that counts) a lot. Theres just a lot to talk about.

Devon Harmon
15-08-2009, 01:03
I don't really talk about 40K, ever. I do, however, paint considerably much more than I play.

Giganthrax
15-08-2009, 01:11
Well, I generally go to the LGS once or twice a week, and then usually play 2-3 battles on those days. So, on the whole, I spend roughly 4-10 hours a week in the LGS, actively playing.

Now, I prolly spend an hour a day on teh intrawebz, and warseer & b&c are my regular haunts. So I dunno, I guess all combined I spend about 7-8 hours a week browsing the websites and hence, among other things, talking about 40k.

So... Not really, can't really say I spend more time talking about then playing. I play more! :)

Filthy O'Bedlam
15-08-2009, 03:05
Unfortunately, yes. I don't have a LGS, the closest one is almost 100 miles away, and I only have one friend that is into it, and he's been away at school alot in the past couple of years. Rural Canada sucks sometimes.

Cheers, Filthy

Zingbaby
15-08-2009, 03:49
A better poll might be: Do you spend more time complaining about rules than you do actually trying them?

Firaxin
15-08-2009, 04:41
Poll's broke.

I've spent more time talking about it than playing since they closed down all 4 Games Workshops in my state within a year. Including the Battlebunker. I think the last game I played... was Games Day Atlanta.

But I mean, honestly, this is Warseer. Look at the post counts. Even if they played 5 games a week since they began playing, I doubt most of the more renowned members on here would be able to even come close to the number of posts they've made.

Lordsaradain
15-08-2009, 04:57
Definetly. Yes.

RangeFinder
15-08-2009, 11:39
Yes, how could it be any other way!!
I don't think I have ever meet anyone who plays more then they talk about it. Although I guess this gets a bit fuzzy if your talking about it while you are playing!! I guess better question could be how much more do you talk about 40k then you play. Myself, I probably have a ratio of 8:1 (talk : play).

Guardian of the Rage
15-08-2009, 12:55
I suppose it is logistics really! You are interested in something so you want whatever you doing to relate to it. You can't play all the time (boards, opponents etc) but you can almost always talk about! (even if others don't want to listen)

Kind Regards
GotR

Talos
15-08-2009, 23:28
Yes I got into 40k last summer and I have only played about 10 games in a year. I have a 2k Chaos army and a 1.5k Ork army. Never used the ork army just waiting to get it painted.
I only get to play in uni holidays and I spend most of that time painting, havent really found a club so dont get many games in at all, this summer havent played any but have painted a fair bit.

Vaktathi
15-08-2009, 23:32
well, I probably spend more time lurking on forums than actually playing, but I usually get in about 2-5 games a week, so I get a solid amount of play time in as well.

CommissarGuard
15-08-2009, 23:45
I play a game every now and then but talk about it WAY more one of my best mates plays and when i ring him up to talk about something we always slip into 40k lol i also talk to him in the town about 40k lol

Oguleth
16-08-2009, 00:10
Except for a brief period of 2 years when I lived with friends that also played (gaming table in the living room and all), I've spent more time with talking about it than playing. Thankfully my portent post count is not around to haunt me, either.

Latro_
16-08-2009, 11:02
Argh yea poll seemed to fail on me, cannot edit it?

I just realised I have not actually played 40k in about 2 months! hah but I'm on WS 3-4 times a day.

EVIL INC
16-08-2009, 12:40
Be honest, do you end up talking, chatting, writing lists, thinking up combos, posting on WS etc more than you actually spend playing games in an average week?
To be honest, even when I played a lot in my youth, I talked/read/made spare lists ect more then I played. NOW, the difference in time is so huge you would wonder why I even bother. Ahh the "advantages" of adulthood. :p

Shadowlance
10-09-2009, 14:05
yeah i talk to much more then i play

but then who doesn't love a good 40k army/race/weapon/tank/god discussion/revolution/cult/argument:D

Yorkiebar
10-09-2009, 14:48
I spend a lot more time talking about it than playing it - I've been using these forums for about six years, despite not having played in the last four :p

HsojVvad
10-09-2009, 14:49
I spend more time on warseer than I do modelling or playing lol.

BTW why is the poll closed?

Sureshot05
10-09-2009, 14:53
I dunno, if you include painting, then I spend more time with the mini's than i do talking about the mini's. However include the forum time, and then it tilts back the other way.

Condottiere
10-09-2009, 15:52
My 40K models are sitting in a display unit, awaiting deployment.

itcamefromthedeep
10-09-2009, 16:58
Good question, do we include painting and modeling time in this? If so, I might be in the green on this one.

I talk about 40k as much as I play it, if only when I'm at the club waiting for a game. Can't be helped, I'm afraid.

Hypaspist
10-09-2009, 17:02
+11 (as in all the way up to..)
I talk and think and geek about it *WAY* more than playing it, I probably manage a game a week ish (2-5 games a WEEK Vaktathi! holy mother of.......)

Not as bad as one of my friends though, he has a whole A4 BOOK of BT army lists, every single one subtly different... that man has *way* too much time on his hands!

Fallen DA
10-09-2009, 17:58
Yup... Huber guilty. It's a time thing.... !

Hicks
10-09-2009, 18:07
I spend more than on warseer than actually gaming in a week that's for sure. A game lasts 3 hours tops usually, I must be on warseer at least an hour a day.

I do however spend whole days modelling/painting/stripping minis from time to time. It's not actually playing, but it's something that will greatly enhence the experience when I get to play.

Forgotmytea
10-09-2009, 19:41
...posting on WS etc more than you actually spend playing games in an average week?
Guilty as charged :p

de Selby
10-09-2009, 19:45
Definitely. But then I hardly ever play.

I just like collecting armies really. If I'm spending more of my spare time building and painting figures than I am posting on here, then I figure I'm doing ok. I have complete armies that I've never got a game in with.

precinctomega
10-09-2009, 20:14
Definitely, yes. But then, I play 40k, Necromunda, Inquisitor, BFG, Space Hulk, Dark Heresy and now D&D as well. And mostly I talk about 40k. If I played more 40k than I talked about it, I'd either have to be a Trappist monk or play five games a day!

R.

NightrawenII
10-09-2009, 20:59
Well, I talk about W40k(or WHFB) even when I play, so technically I talk about 40k much more than really play it.

Thud
11-09-2009, 23:12
At best I get one game of 40k in every week. So about an hour or two there.

As for talking about it and whatnot, well, Wednesday I had a thirty minute phone conversation about the Space Wolves rumours and I usually write at least one new experimental Eldar army list every day as well as devising clever tactics for it. Oh, and then there's Warseer. A couple of hours every day reading this and that, posting and annoying the mods. :)

Irisado
11-09-2009, 23:17
I'm lucky if I manage to get a game these days, for various complicated reasons, so I definitely talk about the game more than I play. Besides, I'm much better at advising other people how to play well than I actually am at playing well myself.

MistaGav
11-09-2009, 23:34
Same here as most others unfortunately. I'm either on here (or the other forums I tend to glance at) or painting minis when it comes to 40k as there are no clubs here which sucks.

DeathTyrant
12-09-2009, 00:16
I'm more of a collector and fluff lover than a player, I have very few games under my belt, and all of them were back in 2E haha.

Coragus
13-09-2009, 01:36
Part of it is my own laziness to make it to the game store, but part of it is that I decided to concentrate on Fantasy this year and play tourneys. Having said that, I haven't played 40K in well over a year. Because of that, I'm going to focus on 40K in 2010.

Imperius
13-09-2009, 01:48
Yes I honestly do talk about it more than I play it, I just don't go out of my way for a game.

If I call up a friend and invite him over to my house, sure we might squish in a game, but I'm not taking the drive to Gamesworkshop because firstly, I think my nostrils will implode on me, and secondly, I think that the sales pressure is a little bit OVERKILL.

Putty
13-09-2009, 04:17
i don't play as much as i want but i do roll a lot of dice by myself at home to test combinations and tactics.