PDA

View Full Version : What if GW invented a Harry potter game?

Lotoc_Sabbath
14-08-2009, 18:12
Hi guys,

I was asking myself: what would your opinion be if GW invented a harry potter miniature game?

I think that could be wonderful+ it would be nice to play it in 25mm scale a sin 54mm scale because battles wouldn't need to be enormous just concentrated in 20 -30 maximum people.

I personally think that it could be interesting to have this game as there could be very very pretty settings and very beautiful miniatures, it could also be a wonderful game to play as there are so many spells that could be used and the magic bit would be so interesting to play.

what do you guys think?

Ah yea and if you don't like the Harry potter background please avoid to post things like:
'I think it is a stupid background'
or
'to me the story makes no sense'

Chaos and Evil
14-08-2009, 18:15
GW is in the business of selling miniatures for mass-battle wargames.

Harry Potter battles rarely involve more than ten people...

Condottiere
14-08-2009, 18:17
I assume it will be a skirmish game, but I can't imagine that much close combat. Mostly, the magic phase would dominate. Movement too, assuming they're taking their broomsticks along.

Lotoc_Sabbath
14-08-2009, 18:17
So why did they invent space hulk, necromunda, inquisitor they are all gemas that include no more than 20 people...

simonr1978
14-08-2009, 18:48
Most of the smaller scale games were feeder games for the main systems or offshoots of them, there is no comparable mass battle system that would be applicable in the Harry Potter world. The development costs would be prohibitive.

That aside, I'm really struggling to imagine how this could be made into an entertaining game that wasn't basically a wild west shootout only with wands and a few Combat type spells instead of guns and ammunition, and with a very limited pool of characters and spells I think it would get tedious very quickly.

Outside of that and maybe a Quidditch based game, what else is there to do?

A Potter pen and paper RPG might have better long term prospects, but as has been said, that isn't going to sell many miniatures. Maybe a Heroquest style dungeon-crawl game through a magical creature infested Hogwarts and grounds? Even then that's going to have limited appeal and is probably quite a few years too late to be really profitable.

Llew
14-08-2009, 18:48
I don't think the wizard duels lend themselves to GW's strength, and I don't think battles are what most people think of when they think of Harry Potter. It would be a far better subject for a role-playing game and that would satisfy most gamers and fans far better than a skirmish system.

IMO, Harry Potter is not the right target for a GW license.

N810
14-08-2009, 18:52
Well the rule book would probaly be in Latian and if you mispronounce the name of a spell your miniture explodes. :p LOL

Bookwrak
14-08-2009, 19:10
So why did they invent space hulk, necromunda, inquisitor they are all gemas that include no more than 20 people...

Because those games didn't require them paying through-the-roof licensing fees for what is still some pretty hot IP.

loveless
14-08-2009, 19:23

And how many of those games are still supported with new releases? :p

More importantly, most of those are off of their own IP - the ones you mention are specifically 40K-related. There's no licensing fees and the games either attract new players to the 40K-world or offer a few extra sales to current players.

There's no way to expand Harry Potter outside of a board game, due to the nature of the books.

OLIVERASO
14-08-2009, 19:25

Hi ;

Gw did make an Harry Potter Game. Quidditch Game.
But he wasn't released because they finally haven't bought the licence.
( or maybe for lot of other reasons ? )

All the best ;
Oliveraso.

zedeyejoe
14-08-2009, 19:40
The popularity of the Harry Potter series has translated into substantial financial success for Rowling, her publishers, and other Harry Potter related license holders. This success has made Rowling the first and thus far only billionaire author.[87] The books have sold more than 400 million copies worldwide and have also given rise to the popular film adaptations produced by Warner Bros.

Puts GW to shame really doesn't it? One woman can do so much.

Of course GW would not 'invent' the game as make a game from the idea. Paying for a license to do so, just like LoTR.

badgeraddict
14-08-2009, 19:53
I would actually have to eat explosives if GW were to produce a Harry Potter game.

I highly doubt that that drivel would translate well towards tabletop wargaming.

If this where to happen GW may as well produce 'Carry On...[films]' related wargames.

GraveGuard
14-08-2009, 20:07
That they have completely given up the premise of being a decent gaming company and come out into the open and said "we'll cash in on anything"

isaac
14-08-2009, 20:14
What about Left Behind?

puppetmaster24
14-08-2009, 20:22
Because those games didn't require them paying through-the-roof licensing fees for what is still some pretty hot IP.

pretty hot, due to the films and the sucess of the books. if you look at harry IP potter funny you lose your eyebrows.

and i agree with all of what has been said so far, also i don't think that GW are going to try risking another outside idea after what happend with lord of the rings minis.

~Aura~
14-08-2009, 21:22
Does anyone have pictures of the unreleased Quidditch game that GW apparently made a few years back ? I'm quite interested in seeing it.

blongbling
15-08-2009, 10:27
i was there and never heard about this, as a licence GW wouldnt have taken it as they had already stated that they wouldnt consider doing another licence after the perceived Lord Of The Rings issues.

That being said though i was in the studio when they were designing rules for Warmaster sized sea battle stuff, which also never saw the light of day

Alsharoth
15-08-2009, 11:01
Skipping all posts here.
It wouldn't work for gw but may work for Fantasy Flight Games. It would be a rpg sort of thing.

Gazak Blacktoof
15-08-2009, 11:02
I was asking myself: what would your opinion be if GW invented a harry potter miniature game?

I wouldn't care. It doesn't interest me and their internal financials are of no consequence to me.

Lotoc_Sabbath
15-08-2009, 11:12
Yes maybe you are right...who cares of the GW FINANCIAL problems....yea they are important but as long as I enjoy it is ok + it wouldn't be that enormous investment to do a small tabletop miniature game...

Bookwrak
15-08-2009, 11:20
Yes it would.

Gazak Blacktoof
15-08-2009, 11:23
Surely you have some free time? Why not make one yourself if it's that important to you.

EDIT: Making a financial case for it is a bit pointless. Wishlisting should be done from the heart.

Condottiere
15-08-2009, 11:25
Because beating someone up over badly thought of and phrased rules is just a self-inflicted injury.

Gazak Blacktoof
15-08-2009, 11:28
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you trying to say, it might not work, therefore it's not worth trying?

If so, I couldn't disagree more.

OLIVERASO
15-08-2009, 11:38
Does anyone have pictures of the unreleased Quidditch game that GW apparently made a few years back ? I'm quite interested in seeing it.

Hi ;

The auction was on ebay one years ago, but was pulled very quickly by GW and -apparently - no one get time to save pics.

Condottiere
15-08-2009, 11:42
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you trying to say, it might not work, therefore it's not worth trying?

If so, I couldn't disagree more.It's less frustrating being upset over unwieldy rules if they were written by someone else.

simonr1978
15-08-2009, 12:10
Yes maybe you are right...who cares of the GW FINANCIAL problems....yea they are important but as long as I enjoy it is ok + it wouldn't be that enormous investment to do a small tabletop miniature game...

How do you know what sort of investment it would involve? Not to mention the Laywer's time and money sorting out the license agreements and what the royalty payments would be.

My bet is that even if GW were to consider it (Which they apparently will not) the R&D costs for this would be prohibitive, even if you were to do "Harry aged 11, Harry aged 12, Harry aged 13... etc" for all the applicable characters you're still not going to be selling that many miniatures and those (and the paints for them) are where GW apparently makes its money.

As I said earlier, I just can't see how you would make an interesting tabletop game out of it. There's a very limited pool of applicable spells and characters to chose from, few if any battles in the books to draw on for inspiration and those combats that do occur are over pretty quickly or determined by pure luck that isn't really possible to translate to the tabletop. How would you see this working?

A Quidditch based game might have more possibilities, but even then it would rapidly become tedious as the vast, vast majority of players would have the Hogwarts Griffindor team (My guess is that it wouldn't even be worth making the Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff teams unless it was as generic "Other Team" miniatures to be painted up the appropriate colours). Even then, it's about eight years too late.

Skraal2099
16-08-2009, 23:06
What about Left Behind?

What do you mean?

Etienne de Beaugard
17-08-2009, 05:41
As others have noted, Harry Potter battles are not like the types GW has worked with before. If they did take this one, perhaps one should look an Inquisitor as a model type. Perhaps an LotR SBG/Inquisitor hybrid. I believe a campaign/character development angle would be important to the game, and the books are largely about development of the various characters over and extended period of time.

Condottiere
17-08-2009, 06:07
I can't believe a Harry Potter game will work out -first off all, the theme isn't that compatible with their main products, though their target demographic would be as part of an introduction to TTG; secondly, they've left it very late without the continuous synergy that would be provided by the films.

genestealer_baldric
17-08-2009, 08:24
This thread has got me looking for a pitchfork, burning piece of wood and the train times to nottingham.

The Phazer
17-08-2009, 09:42

Seriously - the upfront costs of the licence alone would be easily 50m plus. And such a licence would be extremely difficult to obtain, because the IP brand would probably be very sniffy about it being sold next to much more adult IP's like Warhammer and 40k. Tricky to sell many miniatures too, though the game itself would sell like gangbusters.

If GW were going to make such a game they'd be better off doing it in a joint venture with someone like Hasbro and selling it in regular stores, but the logistics of such a deal would be a nightmare, and frankly that's not GW's business model or core expertise.

Phazer

Condottiere
17-08-2009, 11:50
Where does 50 million pounds figure come from? The licence will likely be limited to a TTG.

The Phazer
17-08-2009, 15:16
Where does 50 million pounds figure come from? The licence will likely be limited to a TTG.

I do copyright licensing professionally. I was being pretty conservative, and I am quite aware of how it would be restricted.

I know the toy licence is a LOT more than that.

Phazer

Griefbringer
17-08-2009, 16:00
I think a game based on "Harry the Hammer" would be more interesting.

blongbling
17-08-2009, 16:23
I do copyright licensing professionally. I was being pretty conservative, and I am quite aware of how it would be restricted.

I know the toy licence is a LOT more than that.

Phazer

a toy license would be split down into different sections so that the company could maximise the amount of revenue it could generate from the licensors.

The cost of the licence would also be indicative of the amount of money there is from that part of the licence. You would no texpect to pay 50m for the table top wargame licence for Harry Potter but you would for the board game of Harry Potter.

They would also most likely factor in the amount of money that they would get per unit sold in royalties as well, a lower initial licence could mean a higher royalty and visa versa.

50m is a bit steep though, especially for a licence now coming to its end

Condottiere
17-08-2009, 16:38
I fairly much doubt that retail sales will reach fifty million pounds, let alone net profit.

Bookwrak
17-08-2009, 17:54
Harry Potter simply isn't suitable material for the kind of game GW makes. For the limited number of characters and locales, a board game would be much more suitable, and IIRC, there already has been something like that done.