PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce "Abaddon"?

hellhammer6
14-08-2009, 19:40
some say: a-BAD-don

some say: AB-addon

Anyone know the official pronunciation?
I don't want to mispronounce it and have him come looking for me ;)

wartorngetahroun74
14-08-2009, 19:42
Ive always gone with the first pronunciation. Could be wrong, but its what I like.

DuskRaider
14-08-2009, 19:48
The second way. Emphasis on the AB.

Dr. Hellbeast
14-08-2009, 19:49
some say: a-BAD-don

some say: AB-addon

Anyone know the official pronunciation?
I don't want to mispronounce it and have him come looking for me ;)

A bad'un. :)

Absolutionis
14-08-2009, 19:53
It is a biblical word and is supposed to be "a-bad-din"

However, I and most others pronounce it "ab-ah-don"

Mannimarco
14-08-2009, 19:55
agreed we just call it ab-ah-don, accent has a lot to do with how you pronounce it as well

trapper
14-08-2009, 19:58
Me and everyone in my local area have always used Ab-ah-don aswell (or maybe it was one guy who convinced us all to say it that way).

Sihsboy
14-08-2009, 20:00
All wrong. It's pronounced ABBA-don :-)

*plays dancing queen*

The pestilent 1
14-08-2009, 20:02
Same as the Angel of the Abyss.
Ah-baddon

theunwantedbeing
14-08-2009, 20:06
A bad'un. :)

Uh-BAD-uhn,
or
uh-BAD-n
Is more correct.

Certainly not Abba-don like everyone near me seems to pronounce it.

Dr. Hellbeast
14-08-2009, 20:12
Uh-BAD-uhn,
or
uh-BAD-n
Is more correct.

Certainly not Abba-don like everyone near me seems to pronounce it.

Someone get this guy hooked up to an irony drip, stat! :D

thoughtfoxx
14-08-2009, 20:29
Throat Wobbler Mangrove.

massey
14-08-2009, 21:13

*plays dancing queen*

Curses! You stole my joke!

But yes, that's how I've always heard it pronounced.

loveless
14-08-2009, 21:17
I tend to say "Abbadon" but some people I know say "Abbadon" - of course, there was that one tournament where the guy insisted it was "Abbadon" so who knows?

*snickers*

Makiaveli
14-08-2009, 21:22
I tend to say "Abbadon" but some people I know say "Abbadon" - of course, there was that one tournament where the guy insisted it was "Abbadon" so who knows?

*snickers*

*SLAP* :angel:

guillimansknight
14-08-2009, 21:32

*plays dancing queen*

ABBA Don?

The Black Legion is lead by a singing dancing Swedish crime lord? :eek:

Doppleskanger
14-08-2009, 21:32
I'm with Hellbeast. I think it's one of those awful old GW puns unfortunately, and he is after all, a bad 'un. Still makes me groan after all these years!

CrownAxe
14-08-2009, 21:34
Ab-ba-don

one of the two 'd's is silent

Erazmus_M_Wattle
14-08-2009, 21:57
Actually both 'Ah-bah-don' and 'Uh-bad-un' are both acceptable pronunciations. It depends on which culture you are listening to. I have even encountered 'Ah-voo-doon.' But hey! Does it really make that much difference? Games Workshop called him that because of the pun mentioned earlier. I prefer to call him Ah-bah-don. I won't stand for anyone telling me I am wrong. It has been thousands of years since the early Greek Christians (St John of Patmos) wrote about it in revelations. Lets face it. Although the Angel appears in other faiths it is Christianity that the name of the Chaos Lord comes from. GW being British and all that. Who knows how the writer originally spoke the word. Language (Or at least the way it is spoken) having obviously changed significantly since then.

Say it how you like, it's not like it really makes much of a difference anyway.

guillimansknight
14-08-2009, 22:02
It depends on which culture you are listening to. .

The problem with making up names is phonetically spelling it

If you want a good example Scottish people tend to find it really hard to read English peoples method of phonetically spelling

SharpSilver
14-08-2009, 22:26
Ab-ad-don.....

Use to say Ab-ad-dun

Hlokk
14-08-2009, 22:29

*plays dancing queen*
did you feel the beat of the tamborene? :p

I've always said it "A Bad On" or "super killy death machine".

Craftworld
14-08-2009, 22:33
It's the same as it's pronounced from its original biblical roots; Auh-Ba-Don.

Hlokk
14-08-2009, 22:34
Auh-Ba-Don.

So how do you pronounce that Auh bit then? Like "A-yuh?"

Craftworld
14-08-2009, 22:38
So how do you pronounce that Auh bit then? Like "A-yuh?"

Well I suppose if I'd put it as AW it would have been a lot more clear as AW-BA-DON. :p

mooze
14-08-2009, 23:06
1.)Get a copy of "The Godfather"
2.)Find the scene where the Corleone family is about to go legitimate in Vegas
3.) Wait until Don Corleone (Marlon Brando) says to Tom Hagen (Robert Duvall) in his explanation of why Tom is no longer consigliere and you'll hear the following:
"I never thought you were a bad consigliere, I thought Sonny was a bad don..."
Good enough for Brando... Good enough for me.

Lord Damocles
14-08-2009, 23:10
Dawn of War pronounciation at 5.40:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CVQ2naLm0Y

Illiterate Scribe
14-08-2009, 23:22
Ah-have-no-arms.

StormWulfen
14-08-2009, 23:23
Dawn of War pronounciation at 5.40:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CVQ2naLm0Y

yes be he also pronounces slaanesh, sla-anesh, never heard that one before.

Jackmojo
14-08-2009, 23:51
I've more issues with the mispronunciation of Baal (as in the blood angels planet and predator variant), but I think lots of folks got a wrong one from Diablo...

Jack

Hadafix
15-08-2009, 07:50
Ive always said "a-bad-don" but seeing as chaos is suppose to be all singing and dancing , maybe ABBAdon is better. B)

Bunnahabhain
15-08-2009, 09:30
It's at times like this when the International phonetic alphabet is useful, for communicating exact pronunciations. It does have a few small flaws...

1)You Need somebody with a degree in Linguistics, or at least a degree in their native Language, with a hefty dose of Linguistics in it, to describe how you pronounce words.

2) It's a right pig to learn. Even good universities tend to leave it until well into the second half of degrees.

3) I don't think Warseer supports the 130 odd characters needed for it in text...

My version is something like Ah-ba-Don.

Really, there is no fixed version, as through the assorted places the name crops up in the Bible, it would respectively have originally been in Herbrew, then Aramaic, and finally Greek as well. That's three separate sources and therefore probably pronunciations, before we get onto other ones.

Milton, as the other big place the name crops up in the English language, in Paradise lost, although heavily influenced by The King James Bible, is almost certain to have twisted the name every which way to make it fit his lines.
Given the density of Paradise lost, and centrality of Satan/Abbaddon, you can probably say that ALL of the pronunciations above are in there, somewhere.
However, you'll need to read the whole thing, with a fine toothed comb, to prove that, and that's about as joyous as trying to make sense of the Necron FAQs. It's hard going...

Cheexsta
15-08-2009, 09:51
Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/abaddon) pronounces it as [uh-bad-n], so that's as good a place as any to go from.

Condottiere
15-08-2009, 11:21
There are two ways, based on the original roots and based on your language traditions.

I think "ah-ban-don" all hope, sounds good.

Wintermute
15-08-2009, 12:09
There are two ways, based on the original roots and based on your language traditions.

No, there is only one correct way to pronounce the name, which is Hebrew in origin, and it is uh-BAH-dun.

massey
15-08-2009, 16:27
Languages and pronounciation change all the time.

RCgothic
15-08-2009, 17:23
Abaddon
a BAD 'un.

Short 'a', emphasis on 'bad', 'don' very nearly turns into 'nnh', is how I pronounce it.

Wintermute
15-08-2009, 17:52
Languages and pronounciation change all the time.

Maybe so, but in relation to the question posed by OP the advice on how to pronounce the name is always the same regardless of which source you check be it Wikipedia or an online dictionary.

massey
15-08-2009, 18:30
Maybe so, but in relation to the question posed by OP the advice on how to pronounce the name is always the same regardless of which source you check be it Wikipedia or an online dictionary.

In French, le roi means "The King". This term came to the US through Louisiana and cajun country. People in the area wanted their kids to have a royal name. Thus, Leroy was born. :)

The circles most likely to use "Abaddon" (in the modern US at least) are going to generally be religious people, in the same way as Moloch, Ba'al, or any of the other Christian demons. The generally accepted pronounciation you'll get there is ABBA-don (we really need a backwards-B symbol on this site :)). I'm not saying that is how it should be pronounced, but when you take words out of their original language and move them halfway across the world, you get changes. It's like English pronounciation of "mozzarella" or "Hawaii". It's not the same as the original language, but it's the commonly used one.

Wintermute
15-08-2009, 19:56
In French, le roi means "The King". This term came to the US through Louisiana and cajun country. People in the area wanted their kids to have a royal name. Thus, Leroy was born. :)

The circles most likely to use "Abaddon" (in the modern US at least) are going to generally be religious people, in the same way as Moloch, Ba'al, or any of the other Christian demons. The generally accepted pronounciation you'll get there is ABBA-don (we really need a backwards-B symbol on this site :)). I'm not saying that is how it should be pronounced, but when you take words out of their original language and move them halfway across the world, you get changes. It's like English pronounciation of "mozzarella" or "Hawaii". It's not the same as the original language, but it's the commonly used one.

I understand the point you are making and don't disagree with you ;)

big squig
15-08-2009, 20:25
I say a-bad-un

Salmon
15-08-2009, 21:56

The Wikipedia entry isn’t quite correct in some of its details, including the pronunciation and some of the ambiguities surrounding it. In the earliest recordings of the word the ‘bet’ lacks a daghesh (a little dot in the heart of the letter) and thus can be pronounced as either a ‘v’ (‘a-vad-DON) or a ‘th’ (‘a-thad-DON) but the daghesh appears in later texts. The daghesh also causes confusion in the ‘dalet’ because of the ambiguity as to whether it is a daghesh lene or a daghesh forte euphonic. Generally the consensus, including in the English transliteration to Abaddon, is that it is daghes forte euphonic, which means that the letter is doubled, amusingly (given all the differing views in this thread) for ease of pronunciation. The majority of classical Hebrew words are accented milra’ which means that the accent is on the last syllable, while a minority of syllables are accented mil’el, where the accent is on the second to last. However, “bad” is a closed syllable with a short vowel in this case and thus the word is very likely to be accented mil’ra. This leaves the most authentic pronunciation as “a-bad-DON”.

Not that it really matters, as massey excellently shows why this debate as to the archaic pronunciation is really just a sideshow.

[/smarmy, Hebrew-knowing, git]

Hmmmm, wonder if I should do a post in Fantasy General on Canaanite and Mesopotamian influences on Dark Elf religion in the 7th edition army book? Am I really that geeky/a show off?

*note, I didn't include special accents, Hebrew letters and things in the above post because I was unsure as to whether the forum's code would like them or whether it would hit me with a stick.

Tsillanabor
15-08-2009, 22:01
I pronounce so that it rhymes with 'parcheesi.'