PDA

View Full Version : Armour piercing daemons.

JHZ
14-08-2009, 20:25
Ok, while I've had a daemonic legion since the Storm of Chaos list and I've had the Daemons of Chaos army book since it came out, I have to say I feel pretty stupid right now if my observation is correct.

Ok, so in the entries for Seekers of Slaanesh and Seeker Chariot of Slaanesh, it lists Armour Piercing. Does this mean the steeds and the chariot (impact hits) have AP as well? It lists that Poisoned Attacks are for steeds only, but nowhere does it say that the AP is just for the rider, and the chariot doesn't have crew of its own, so the AP on that entry must mean something.

So the steed and chariot of Slaanesh have AP, right?

T10
14-08-2009, 20:34
Actually, only the steeds have the armour piercing rule.

The entire model has the Daemonic and Chariot rules, but a second list of rules apply specifically to the steed.

-T10

JHZ
14-08-2009, 20:52
Ah, another oversight on my part. Dammit, how is it that everything about WHFB is so much more difficult for me? Not only do I have trouble with remembering all the rules, now I can't even read the army books right. Man, if only 40K was more popular around here...

Anyway, good to know about the steeds. Man, so many wasted armour save rolls... The chariot would have been murder with the AP. What's that, Mr. 2+ Knight, 5+ armour save not good enough for you when I crash into your ranks?

mr_vespa
14-08-2009, 21:11
Considering you can tool your Herald with Etherblade, I think the knight (or anything with average toughness for that matter) can still be handled nicely :). Slaanesh chariots are already murder for being able to charge 20" and keep up with marching troops. Slap on a fighty/tricky herald with decent stats and you've got yourself a virtual killing machine!

Small consolation, but don't worry. I've put one of these ladies to work and she carved a bloody swathe ^_^.

JHZ
14-08-2009, 21:22
Well, I do have a chariot with Etherblade, but I'm also working on a second one. For that I've been thinking MAM, mainly to use against something that doesn't have thick armour, like a Giant or something. 6 attacks from Herald, D6 from the Chariot and 2 from the steeds equals 9-14 attacks. Surely it'll get something through. So far my S3 ladies have been quite poor in beating anything with a decent toughness to death.

Yes, that's what Khorne daemons are for. In a non-fluffy daemon circus cheesefest that I won't have any part of. I was raised in a world where Chaos gods will only ally under an undivided mortal, and I'll be stone cold dead before anything like that slips into my army.

mr_vespa
14-08-2009, 21:40
Daemonettes may not appear as killy as their khornate counterparts (S5, KB... hard to beat), but with double the number of attacks and AP, they don't do so bad. However, daemonettes becomes surprisingly good tarpit units when they carry the Banner of Ecstasy and are joined by a Herald. ASF daemonettes that are stubborn for their first break are very dangerous, because they become perfect for luring an enemy into their sensuous talons. After everything is all set and done, whoever was lured into their deadly embrace (Siren Song, anyone? :D) is a prime target for flank charges (Seekers, Flesh Hounds, Chariots, etc.).

As for MAM vs Etherblade, the choice is purely situational. When going against Warriors of Chaos, Bretonnia or any other army known for high armour saves, Etherblade becomes your best friend (especially versus Bretonnia... being base Str 4 only allows their knights to roll a 6+ ward save!). When facing Ogres, Orcs (notwithstanding BlOrcs, Boar Boyz and Characters) or even Elves (besides their cavalry and characters, they don't have much armour) MAM becomes a very interesting prospect.

JHZ
14-08-2009, 22:30
Daemonettes may not appear as killy as their khornate counterparts (S5, KB... hard to beat), but with double the number of attacks and AP, they don't do so bad.
No, of course not, though I still liked the more when they were S4. Made them a little better vs. tougher targets (orcs, dwarfs, chaos warriors, etc.). But I guess GW had to do the old balance within the codex stunt.

However, daemonettes becomes surprisingly good tarpit units when they carry the Banner of Ecstasy and are joined by a Herald.
Oh, Hell, they make pretty goot tarpit with musician and stock banner alone. How many other units have gone toe to toe with a fully stocked Black Coach for turns on end, losing every single round but still coming off on top in the end? In one doubles tournament I was playing with a Khorne beastman player, and at first we were like "so you tie them and I'll flank them, ok?", but after the first few games it turns out that my little ladies had much more toughness to tie the enemy in place than his billy goats.

EvC
15-08-2009, 12:14
Actually, only the steeds have the armour piercing rule.

I'm fairly sure the Steed has the poison rule, but not AP...

theunwantedbeing
15-08-2009, 12:26
Page 85.
Its just the steeds.

Page 50.
Notice the full stop after the word chariot.
The next set of rules are only for the steeds as they are followed by (steeds only) with a full stop after it.

It's plenty clear enough.