PDA

View Full Version : Can i get away with this?

Dead orc
09-01-2006, 22:20
I want to know if this is legal. People will hate me for it i know.

VC Master Necromancer, Cloack of mist and shadows, Obsidian amulet - 310 point

Ethereal so only magic attacks and other ethereals can hurt, all magic attacks i get a 5(4?)+ ward save and magic resistance 1.
Have i made a mistake here or is this really legal?

scatterlaser
09-01-2006, 23:41
Perfectly legal, but it doesn't leave you with any room to take arcane items. You won't be able to put the Book of Arkhan/Staff of Damnation/Black Periapt/dispel scrolls/power stones/etc on your Master Necromancer. The other thing is that the Amulet's useless most of the time (because you've got the Cloak), and when it isn't you're probably in trouble anyway, because things with magical attacks are often fighty characters that aren't going to be slowed down all that much by a 4+ Ward save. It's a good combination if you want extra insurance against your Master Necro getting stabbed, but you could probably get by with just the Cloak most of the time.

Rikkjourd
10-01-2006, 00:32
Wizards should be protected by hiding, not by items. If a wizard is in a situation where a Ward save would come in handy he is already deathened 9/10 times.

oma
10-01-2006, 10:51
against fighty chars that onely use GW anyway its good, have the hand of dust ready and byebye chaos lord! the 4+WS is a bit unneccesary in my eyes though..

Odin
10-01-2006, 11:09
I want to know if this is legal. People will hate me for it i know.

I wouldn't hate you for it - I'd love it if my opponent wasted that many points which could have been spent on improving his magical abilities.

skavenguy13
10-01-2006, 12:27
If your plan is to put him out of the unit, I strongly advice against it. Even if they can't kill you, skirmishers should get to you by turn 2 or 3 and they'll win CR with outnumber, so you lose 1 wound each turn for crumbling. That doesn't help a lot.

Borthcollective
10-01-2006, 13:53
If your plan is to put him out of the unit, I strongly advice against it. Even if they can't kill you, skirmishers should get to you by turn 2 or 3 and they'll win CR with outnumber, so you lose 1 wound each turn for crumbling. That doesn't help a lot.

I didn't think that rule applied to Necro's, just the undead models. I too think it's a lot to spend on the guy to keep him safe, but were not talking about a dwarf lord here. Were talking about the cornerstone of the Vampire army. Most armies don't have to worry about crumbling if they lose their leader.

Hlokk
10-01-2006, 13:54
I think, in game terms, if your asking if you can get away with something, you probably shouldnt be doing it in the first place.

Keller
10-01-2006, 21:12
I didn't think that rule applied to Necro's, just the undead models.

Every model in the Vampire Counts army is Undead, save for Ghouls and Batswarms. Combat Resolution is the easiest way to lose a character, so keep him inside a unit. Remember, every unit that loses a combat suffers the wounds, so if your necro is on his own, even if fighting in the same combat as a unit of zombies and you lose by 3, both the zombies and the necro take 3 wounds.