PDA

View Full Version : Killing a Vampire Lord

A.Gentleman
15-08-2009, 02:31
Alright

A friend of mine had quite some success in our last battle with a fully kitted out Vampire Lord on Abysal Terror. I am at my wits' end as to how I should destroy this Lord.
I play Dark Elves and I know that Bolt Throwers may work but is that really the only way?

The Vampire Lord is thus equiped:
Lance
Nightshroud Armour
Shield
Red Fury
Beguile
Infinite Hatred
Abysal Terror

Love and Kisses
A.Gentleman

shredshredxx
15-08-2009, 02:35
if you wanna be a dick, you could just run a pendant of khaleth lord with a great weapon

if not, try nuking it with some big gnarly spell,

or mayhaps asf blackguard??

black amulet lords are severely underrated also.

try one in aforementioned black guard unit.

AvariceX
15-08-2009, 04:01
That lord is possibly the most vulnerable-to-shooting Vampire I have ever seen.

Large target, 5+ AS, no ward, no regen....

???

If that's your wits end then I'd hate to see the results when you face a Lord with Avatar of Death (hw+shield), Cadaverous Cuirass and any type of ward in a unit with Regen Banner.

Sarah S
15-08-2009, 04:07
Repeater Crossbows should do the job, let alone Bolt Throwers...

If you want to kill him in combat, just target the weak, pathetic crap bag Abyssal Terror. You will strike first if charging, and beat the living hell out of hit, so no matter what the Vampire does, the combat resolution should annihilate him.

A 175 point Hydra (underpointed piece of trash it is) would wreck this dude.

You would almost certainly inflict 4 wounds from the Hydra and Handlers, leaving him to pointlessly try and hurt the Hydra - you might take 2 wounds.
So that's 4 wounds, +1 for outnumbering against 2, he loses by 3 and vanishes.

Hell, even if he charges the Hydra, he is almost certainly not able to inflict enough wounds to kill a Hydra (what can? a Bloodthirster probably...) leaving you able to kill him anyways - and this is assuming the Lance is the Dreadlance that automatically hits...

Marshal Torrick
15-08-2009, 05:08
I know this is not what the guy above said, but a lord on a terror should probably be wielding either the blooddrinker(most likely) or the Flaming lance, both with hate, red fury and +1 CR. The second would give a hydra some trouble.

4 attacks
2.67 hits
.89 more hits from hate
3.56 hits total
2.96 wounds flaming(rounded to 3)

3 more attacks
2 hits
2.66 hits after reroll
2.22 wounds

Dead Hydra on average, of course you are throwing 600ish points at 175 so it had better win. It is still better not to run him around as such, but it can look and feel cool having a vamp flying around thwacking things.

Latro
15-08-2009, 09:24
You can either hunt him down with an Elf Lord on a Dragon (pendant etc etc), but this is not very point effective. You both have very expensive Lord options now, but he can still make use of his Vampire Lord during the magic phase while simply avoiding the Dragon Rider ... your Lord however will not be doing much useful while running the risk of getting trapped in a tarpit unit.

... or you can take 2 bolt throwers for area denial ... a salvo from 2 of these are enough to down the Terror on average. I don't think he will be stupid enough to give you free shots, but you will be restricting him to hiding and casting magic while the much cheaper bolt throwers can shoot other things as well.

(And no, Hydra's or Black Guard units won't catch a Vampire Lord on a flyer ... unless your opponent is either very unlucky or stupid.)

:cool:

mossel
15-08-2009, 10:25
any shooting will do, as there are no saves to speak of (only a 5+ armour that will become 6+ or will be gone completely). it's only protection will be the high toughness!

same thing works fo combat, actually. hydras, cold one knights, black guard, executioners, fighter characters... can all kill an abyssal terror quite smoothly, especially when it's been wounded already by some shooting or magic...

doombolt is a very effective spell to do some damage on the vampire and it's mount! even chill wind will wound now and again:)
best spell to damage both rider and beast: bladewind
and of course word of pain will seriously help you in close combat!

this vampire is quite killable, but of course, there is the rest of the army coming too...
try to take out this vampire lord, while still keeping an eye on the rest of your opponent's army. when the vamp goes down, crumbling will help you take care of what's left on the table!

just hope he doesn't field to much blood knights or varghulfs...

A.Gentleman
15-08-2009, 11:03
Actually, I did forget to mention that the lance is the Flaming Lance. My bad :)
He did manage to wip out my Hydra on the charge. That was rather scary :P
The Vamp and Terror were also accompanied by a Varghulf :(

By the way,

If that's your wits end then I'd hate to see the results when you face a Lord with Avatar of Death (hw+shield), Cadaverous Cuirass and any type of ward in a unit with Regen Banner.

That was a little jerky :)

Yrrdead
15-08-2009, 15:49
Having played with a lord both on an AT and a Z Dragon , I'm not a big fan. While you may think your buddy is being "beardy" but in actuality he is being rather soft. Unless he has constructed a complete anti-crumble army, he is giving you a rather large advantage.

Place a sorceress or two in between units instead of in them. This will still protect them for the most part since you don't have to worry about shooting and there shouldn't be enough room for anyone to declare charges.

The 360 LOS in combination with the Lord on a large target should be good game. Let the crumble begin. This is a situation where you should focus all magic and shooting on his lord. Sure the rest of his army is coming, but they will also be crumbling for the rest of the game the instant he dies. Which makes the 15 or 1600 pts left on the board very very manageable.

Good luck.

AvariceX
16-08-2009, 07:55
Lance
Nightshroud Armour
Shield
Red Fury
Beguile
Infinite Hatred
Abysal Terror

Not sure how I missed it last time I read this, but I just realized that this Vampire Lord is impossible.
Red Fury @ 50pts
+Beguile @ 25pts
+Infinite Hatred @ 25pts
+Avatar of Death @ 20pts (this is the only possible way he could have a shield and Nightshroud at the same time)
=120 pts of Vampire Powers.

The only issue here though is that he's 20 points over on Vampire Powers, and only because of a shield. He spent 20 points on a normal shield...to improve his AS to a meager 5+... I don't even know if I'd want to call him out on that lol

Aranel
24-08-2009, 01:33
Its a very boring tactic but just shoot it. two bolthrowers backed up by shades, Xbowmen and dark riders should easily cause enough damage to taake it down. Throw in an offensive magic phase and the vampires demise is almost a forgone conclusion!

Lord Dan
24-08-2009, 01:42
Lifetaker and bolt throwers.

mr_vespa
24-08-2009, 15:33
Not sure how I missed it last time I read this, but I just realized that this Vampire Lord is impossible.
Red Fury @ 50pts
+Beguile @ 25pts
+Infinite Hatred @ 25pts
+Avatar of Death @ 20pts (this is the only possible way he could have a shield and Nightshroud at the same time)
=120 pts of Vampire Powers.

The only issue here though is that he's 20 points over on Vampire Powers, and only because of a shield. He spent 20 points on a normal shield...to improve his AS to a meager 5+... I don't even know if I'd want to call him out on that lol

Avarice does have a point here. Where is your buddy's Vamp Lord getting his shield from? Avatar of Death? Dread Knight? Enchanted Shield? Either of these options would prove illegal, because:
a) Avatar of Death and Dread Knight are Vampiric Powers, and he's already stockpiled 100pts of Vampiric Powers
b) You cannot purchase Enchanted Shield when wearing magic armour (Nightshroud), because you can only wear one piece of magical armour, be it a shield or breastplate.

All this considered, the only thing that's hampering your melee capacity versus this particular build is the Nightshroud, seeing as it effectively cripples your initiative and forces you to strike last. Therefore, a logical solution to taking a beating would be to be able to weather it down, then strike him down for his failed attempt (hur hur...). Consider:
- Pendant of Khaeleth
- The suit of heavy armour that bestows regeneration (Eternal Servitude? For the life of me, I can't remember the name atm)
- A sea dragon cloak (now seriously, would any fighty DE Lord or Hero leave home without one?)
- Caledor's Bane or whatever weapon you prefer

On the other hand, putting said fighty character in a deathstar tarpit (Black Guard with ASF banner comes to mind) will also squelch his advance. Sniping his flyer with x-bows and bolt throwers is another solution; the Abyssal Terror does not have a save and is fairly vulnerable to missile fire. Being grounded, his Lord will be a stacked ninny.

Von Wibble
24-08-2009, 16:42
My favourite way of killing vampire lords is killing blow generally. He has no immunity to it and no ward save. A master on manticore with the KB lance could do the job - even striking first he will not eliminate all incoming attacks. And shooting as mentioned will be effective since his armour save isn't that good, whilst his mount is not resilient at all.

mr_vespa - armour of eternal servitude vs flaming attacks is a bad idea..

Pendant is dirty but does the job. If you want a clearer conscience try the black amulet.

And finally - no MR? Take lore of metal and destroy the NightShroud. Then use whatever you like!

EvC
24-08-2009, 17:11
Well, he would get to nominate the item that has a 50% chance of being destroyed, but Dark Elves should in no way have any problems killing this Lord.

mr_vespa
24-08-2009, 18:05
Missed that part where he mentionned 'flaming' lance (balefire spike), it'd be worthless versus that. Though in general, Armour of Eternal Servitude + Pendant is what I usually see going around for building 'the unkillable' DE dreadlord.

Also, wouldn't he have to roll Law of Gold with the Lore of Metal? Not exactly a very probable outcome unless you field a level 4 Sorceress.

sulla
24-08-2009, 21:04
The Vampire Lord is thus equiped:
Lance
Nightshroud Armour
Shield
Red Fury
Beguile
Infinite Hatred
Abysal Terror

Lord or BSB on a dark steed with the pendant and a lance/crimson death. Charge him and target all attacks on the abyssal terror. You're not targeting the vamp, so you don't suffer the effects of the nightshroud. Have him in a unit of DR with a standard if you don't feel confident of doing enough wounds, challenging will keep the rest safe from harm.

But don't kill the guy too often... you don't want the VC player to resort to boring bunker lords. :D

Lord Dan
24-08-2009, 22:21
I wouldn't bother with an anti-vampire dreadlord build when the aforementioned "kill it with crossbows" is the best idea so far.