PDA

View Full Version : Out of print games

abaddonseviltwin
15-08-2009, 11:05
I stumbled on this interesting section on the GW website. All the old games that those of us of a certain age will remember fondly, including Dark Future and Adeptus Titanicus, strange that Space Hulk isn't there though... ;)

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat1290025&categoryId=1100014&section=&aId=5300012

Not sure how long this collection has been around for, it's probably very old news, but might have been missed by everyone last time so administrators please delete if you feel it's not appropriate to have it up again.

AndrewGPaul
15-08-2009, 11:24
Space Hulk, along with Man O' War, are likely not there because they need significant extra parts (boards and counters for Space Hulk, ship control boards and several card decks for Man O' War) to be playable. Dark Future is more of a historical document than a playable game, since you don't get the roads.

Fantasy Flight look to be putting out some of the out of print boardgames - Fury of Dracula, Talisman and Chaos Marauders, for example.

Annoyingly, no sign of the Gorkamorka Digganob book. :(

By the way, that old Mighty Empires game is pretty good as a standalone, even without using it in conjunction with Warhammer.

Makiaveli
15-08-2009, 11:46
Never played Dark Future, but seems like the roads could be adapted/made as long as you had the correct measurements. Would the Car Wars stuff from Steve Jackson match up for example? If not, reduce/enlarge with a copier perhaps....

grissom2006
15-08-2009, 13:24
It's been up for months now

EVIL INC
15-08-2009, 14:54
Good find. I always wanted to get dark future and never got the opportunity. I will have to print it off now.
Thanx :)

Loki73
15-08-2009, 14:59
remember those chit grand scale board games. I still have the battle for armaggedon. New and pristine but no box. I loved that game they also had one for the assault on terras palace.

AndrewGPaul
15-08-2009, 17:40
Effectively, the Dark Future boards were divided into 'spaces the length of a car and half the width (so a car takes up 2 spaces). I can't remember how many there are to a section, and the curves get awkward. There was also a clear range template for something, but I can't remember what for.

Alessander
15-08-2009, 19:51
I forsee the rules for "ultra marines" (the scout squad vs scout squad game set on space hulk tiles) floating back online once Space Hulk gets re-released. That game was fun, no limit to number of players, even though the dice-rolling system was stupid (hey, my box lid is warped so my scouts always miss!).

ScItRiX
15-08-2009, 22:49
Wan O war, now there's a game i'd like to see come back.

Gorgoroth
16-08-2009, 00:06
Did anyone play 'Battlemasters' ? I know it was fantasy based but it is what introduced me to Games Workshop stuff and ultimatly 40k. Great game. Soooo epic

ScooterinAB
17-08-2009, 10:35
Whoa. Battlemaster. That's a throwback. Ten points for you.

Although I never played Battlemaster, a friend had it, and we subbed in models for my Ork army (we were 11 and poor. Deal with it).

Nut ya. There is some cool stuff on the Old Game page. I've been meaning to try Dark Future.

Bloodknight
17-08-2009, 10:43
Although I never played Battlemaster, a friend had it, and we subbed in models for my Ork army (we were 11 and poor. Deal with it).

Why not? I used 3 boxes worth - one that I got as a kid when it was new, and two that I bought later - of the BM imperial troops for my Dogs of War army because they look like the old Empire Minis from WFB which I still prefer to 6th and 7th edition Empire.
The game itself wasn't really a strategy game (too random, and too biased towards the Imperium), but at its time it was a great deal with beautiful minis (remember, that game is almost 20 years old), the vinyl mat is great. I kept the 3, they're great for games that use big hexes). The towers are now WFB terrain. ;)

Dwarf Supreme
18-08-2009, 16:59
Wan O war, now there's a game i'd like to see come back.

Yeah, me too. I'd love to build a Dwarf fleet.

eriochrome
18-08-2009, 17:12
The organization for the Dark Future rules is so bad a new player would have a hard time getting started. The basic game rules are buried like 160 pages into the pdf instead of page 1.

The roads where not just lengths they also had speed limits for the curves and a range ruler plus spin out template. Someone could definately proxy up a kit with that info which could be provided if desired.

AndrewGPaul
19-08-2009, 00:28
Huh? no. The basic game rules begin on page 9, headed "Turn sequence".

The game rulebook is pages 1 - 102 (although I believe page 2 is actually the back cover). The White Line Fever supplement is pages 103 - 156, and Dead Man's Curve and St Louis Blues (a series of WD articles) is pages 157 - 188. Pages 189 - 194 are the quick-start booklet from the game box (the position of that is a little confusing, I agree). The rest is more WD articles, with pages 215 - 220 being "tournament rules" - stripped down for quicker play than the full game.

Page 5 is the parts list, and you can see the layout of the road sections, which makes it easier to design your own. The range template is simply 2 lanes wide and 5 spaces long.

eriochrome
19-08-2009, 14:41
The quick start rules are where you would want to start a new player with especially if no one has played before since reading 100 page rule book before playing a board game is really not going to happen. That is what I meant by the basic rules. I just did not both to go back and look at the listing I made of them last month. I have the game but would probably start with the quick start rules if I was going to play again since I have probably not played it in 15 years.

AndrewGPaul
19-08-2009, 22:06
If any of those games were aimed at new gamers, you'd have a point. When the game was published as a boxed game, that was the case. As it is, that PDF is just for the old fans to reminisce over.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never once looked at those intro rules sheets in GW games - Just pick up the rulebook and start at page 1. It's not like any of them are complicsted. Mind you, when I started, you didn't get the choice. :)

Dai-Mongar
20-08-2009, 00:52
Hooray! I can play Gorkamorka once again!
BRB, buying Ork battleforce... :D

AndrewGPaul
20-08-2009, 11:48
If only the Digganob book was available...

pringles978
13-07-2010, 20:36
thanks for the link mate, the dark future rules are a very welcome blast from the past!

silence
07-11-2010, 21:11
Yeah thanks for the link, very much a walk down memory lane

Fleet Captain Roak
08-04-2011, 15:37
Anyone else remember 'Battlecars' ? -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlecars

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2368/battlecars

One chap at my boarding school got it in 1984 and we must of played it most weekend's until 1987 or so . By the end of that time the d8 that came with the game had began to disintegrate from over use !

A fun game , but on the whole I prefer the varity of Car Wars .

Another GWS favourite was Chainsaw Warrior -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chainsaw_Warrior

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1827/chainsaw-warrior

Again much played at my school - the CDT Teacher even got the nickname 'Chainsaw Warrior' as he used a huge one to cut up fallen trees , after the powerful storm that hit southern England in October 1987 !!!

Think I played the GWS Doctor Who game once , but remember v.little about it .