PDA

View Full Version : Third Eye of Tzeentch timing

squeekenator
15-08-2009, 14:44
The Third Eye of Tzeentch says that it can be used 'in each friendly Magic phase'. Does this mean that you can declare its use partway through the phase, or do you have to do so at the start? If you indeed can use it at any point during the Magic phase, can you use it to cast one or more of your own spells before using the Eye to cast a spell an opponent's Wizard knows?

EDIT: On the topic of the Third Eye, what happens if you use it to gain Tomb King magic? I don't see anything that would suggest that you can't do so, but there are some things (lack of a casting value is the most obvious) that make me unsure of whether that's allowed.

Jushak
15-08-2009, 15:03
RAW allows it, kind of.
RAI doesn't.

While normally I wouldn't go assigning intent in this case it's clear, if badly worded.

Lord Zarkov
15-08-2009, 16:47
TK magic wouldn't be too much use anyway since 3/4 only affect undead troops.

Tae
15-08-2009, 17:47
It would depend on the wording of the TK book (which I don't own). If they are referred to as spells they would probably be 'stealable', however my gut feeling is that they are referred to as incantations. And as Third Eye only 'steals' spells, it wont work on TK's would be my interpretation.

stripsteak
15-08-2009, 20:42
well Aldred's casket of sorcery can be used to steal an incantation, and it is cast at a power level to what the enemy would cast at (2d6 if stolen from a priest, or 3d6 for high preist etc) (empire Faq)

squeekenator
16-08-2009, 00:10
While normally I wouldn't go assigning intent in this case it's clear, if badly worded.

I'd agree that it's intended that you can't cast some of your own spells and then use the Eye to cast another wizard's, but I'm not sure if the intent was that you had to use it at the start of the magic phase, since usually they specifically state that. I was mainly hoping to use it for bluffing purposes, throwing around other spells and then taking the enemy's super-spell of doom once they have no dispel dice left, rather than splitting spells between lores.

TK magic wouldn't be too much use anyway since 3/4 only affect undead troops.

Yeah, that's rather disappointing. I was looking forward to a turn 1 Chaos Knight charge. And all the Gut Magic buff spells affect only Ogres, which is a real pain. Giving my Lord and Knights Regeneration or T5 and Stubborn would have been insane. Fortunately, both those armies are underpowered anyway, so it's not like I needed super awesome Knights to deal with them.

It would depend on the wording of the TK book (which I don't own). If they are referred to as spells they would probably be 'stealable', however my gut feeling is that they are referred to as incantations.

There's a lot of text before it, but in the last paragraph concerning how incantations work it says that 'in all other respects the Incantations are treated as normal spells'. So, while I would only be able to actually use the magic missile (hooray), I think they do count as spells known.

EDIT: Actually, you can't take incantations. I was just flicking through the Daemon FAQ, and it says that Glean Magic won't let you steal them, since they aren't real spells. I'd say that ruling would apply to the Third Eye of Tzeentch too.