PDA

View Full Version : Giant Base Ruling

forthegloryofkazadekrund
15-08-2009, 19:38
I know in all the pictures of the new Giant the base is placed with the small frontage to the front, is there anywhere which says it cant be used the other way round.

Im about to build up my 2nd Giant so thats why im wondering.

Skyth
15-08-2009, 20:15
My giant is on the 50x50 base it came on :)

Urgat
15-08-2009, 20:15
No, there's close to no rules regarding bases themselves. There's no rule either for cavalry bases being used small frontage to the front, or charriots, or whatever. Heck, there's no rule for using certain bases with certain units.

stonetroll
15-08-2009, 20:17
New Giant model comes on 75*50 mm, so I remodelled my old Giant on one like that (just added a cavalry base to it's 50*50mm).

Up to you to judge if your gaming group will get anal about it as it's definately a pro to have it on the 50*50.

Harwammer
16-08-2009, 09:16
I have a friend who refuses to rebase his giant to ensure my beast herds a) don't get rank bonus when they flank him and b) units get the smallest number of attacks possible against the giant :'(

Condottiere
16-08-2009, 12:13
One compromise was that monsters keep the base that they were packaged with, though I think we have to accept Giants have a larger base now.

T10
16-08-2009, 12:53
I have a friend who refuses to rebase his giant to ensure my beast herds a) don't get rank bonus when they flank him and b) units get the smallest number of attacks possible against the giant :'(

If your friend is using the Giant's original base then you can hardly fault him on that.

-T10

Harwammer
16-08-2009, 14:19
If your friend is using the Giant's original base then you can hardly fault him on that.

-T10

True. Him mocking me for not getting rank bonus does make it a sore point though.

The Red Scourge
17-08-2009, 10:35
The BRB has a size chart showing the appropriate base sizes for each type of model. Use that to determine the width and breadth of units.

There are a lot of instances where the minis don't comply with the rules, such as giants, hydra, one HE dragon (though you can just get the other one to reduce the size of your flanks), the worst example is probably the VC Black Coach that is supplied with nothing but two cavalry bases - my own base ended up being 150 mm long just to accomodate the model, a close second may be the fact that cavalry bases aren't 25 mm wide as prescribed but only 24mm.

I have absolutely no problems with calculating the contact width based on the BRB values and not the actual base size, after all people use such things as movement trays to further confuse the base size matter etc. And in the almighty words of the second BRB FAQ "just fudge it!" :)

Zilverug
17-08-2009, 12:21
With somewhat open-minded people you could keep the giant on a 50x50 base and (in case of a flank or a rear charge) assume it's on a 50x75 base.

The Red Scourge
17-08-2009, 12:27
With somewhat open-minded people you could keep the giant on a 50x50 base and (in case of a flank or a rear charge) assume it's on a 50x75 base.

So you'd say that a black coach only takes up two cavalry bases? :cheese:

Condottiere
17-08-2009, 17:32
That's either 25mmx100mm, or 50mmx50mm, either of which won't fit, so you must resubmit.

The Red Scourge
17-08-2009, 19:32
It'll fit perfectly after a little conversion. As it can gain flying, you could make it take off towards the sky, or as it becomes ethereal, it could burrow underground? :D

Oh, and its just 24x100 or 48x50 ;)

HereticLosMorte
17-08-2009, 20:31
bases are generally fronted based on the width of the model. so the "short" edges of the giant base would go front-back, as that is how "wide" the giant model is. look are single model bases, and also cavalry bases. cavalry go short on front-back and long on side-side as well. it depicts their general "motion of movement", being a more forward style movement.

Urgat
17-08-2009, 23:03
Generally, but not always (Skarsnik). Really, unless GW deigns providing a picture of the unit, there's no real way to tell. What in the rules helps you guess that an orc, a marauder, a human and a dwarf goes on 20x20 in preference to a 25x25mm base or vice versa, really (or a great cave squig goes on a 40x40mm base while a gigantic spider goes on a 50x50 one?)?
They never settle for a base for good: (wyverns supposed to go on charriot bases according to ther latest chart, but hold and behold: the new Azagh comes on a square base. I mean: geez... And they even had the opportunity to do so, since they had to redo the base). Truth is, they just give a base that suits the model, or give none at all. During 5th edition I got metal marauders, some had 20mm bases, others had 25mm bases, all in the same blister. Great, heh?

forthegloryofkazadekrund
17-08-2009, 23:18
I wish they would have a bit more consistency, tbh i see having the base the other way around as being a bit more of a disadvantage to me due to missile fire - harder to hide - i want it purely for asthetic reasons - i want him to look like he is smashing the front rank of a unit, ill have 3 different sets of 5 models ready to be plugged into the base via pins before the battle depending on opponent.

Thats why im wanting to know if its ok

Zilverug
18-08-2009, 09:45
Most oldfashioned giants look really bad on a 50x75 base, I don't think they cared about that when they designed the new giant (they probably didn't even think about it). Which is somewhat logical, because Games Workshop earns its money by selling models and not by supporting old models.

Condottiere
18-08-2009, 20:11
You only need a 50x75 base.

But yes, I see the problems in persuading an old-fashioned giant to spread his legs.