PDA

View Full Version : List of Death Stars

weasley!
15-08-2009, 22:15
These seem to be very popular. Could everyone post the ones they know and I can edit this post to include them?

Edit:

Blood knight deathstar
Shade star
Black guard deathstar
phoenix deathstar
Inner circle knight deathstar
Temple Guard.
Terradons (?)
cold one knights bsb
40 empire knight with bsb with double ranks banner
grave guard with drakenhof bsb
Nurgle plaguebearers + characters as front rank
Shadestar - lots of shades with characters (very survivable and shooty, with 1/2 BS, MR3, Ring, unkillable lord)
Cold One Knights with Hydra Banner BSB - not that survivable comparatively speaking, but super killy
Ironbreakers with Thorgrim and some thanes
Blackguard
Swordmasters with Korhil - survivable it ain't, but killy definitely
Chosen of tzeentch with a couple of warshrines to give them 3+ ward, stubborn by turn 2. At which stage with a BSB, they are more or less unkillable.
Archaon + Knights of tzeentch with blasted standard - hard to kill and mashes things in combat
Archaon supported by stubborn banner BSB. What? He's unkillable, LD10 rerollable terror causing and chews through units.
"If special characters are allowed, I like the Lord Kroak + Temple Guard deathstar for Lizardmen. with minimum skink core and two engines, you get an unkillable unit that can spam salvation of itza to clear the enemy off of the board. The best part is that it actually works better against Daemons and VC!"
Grave Guard with Mounted Wight Lord Drakenhof BSB (regen) BAnner of Barrows(+1 to hit) and Combat Vampire backed up by 1-2 Corpse Carts (for ASF) and a vampire with Helm of Command (unit has WS 6-7)
BE Black Guard with ASF Banner and Ring of Hotek, Pendant of Khaleth character and 1-2 hidden assasins with either Dark venom and ninja stars (chariot smasher) or killing blow with d3 extra attacks. Backed up by Black caulron (for KB or Ward Save) containing hag BSB (for re-rollable Break tests on stubborn)
6 Tomb KIng Chariots with Icon of the Sacred Eye (+1 to Hit) King with Flail and Prince with MR 2 and GW
"Load up a unit with as many combat characters as you can and go to town. Have them all join a single Maneater for a nice stubborn killy block. And the nice thing about Ogre characters is that they are relatively mobile, so you can deploy them separately and then assemble (to form Voltron) later in the game when you need to whup something."

WhiteKnight
18-08-2009, 03:06
Blood knight deathstar
Shade star
Black guard deathstar
phoenix deathstar
Inner circle knight deathstar

thats all I know of.

Sarah S
18-08-2009, 03:08
Dire Wolves.
Temple Guard.
Terradons.

chippyman64
18-08-2009, 10:29
cold one knights bsb
40 empire knight with bsb with double ranks banner

Chaseyboy1er
18-08-2009, 16:42
grave guard with drakenhof bsb

Gaargod
18-08-2009, 17:24
There's a lot of possible deathstars.

Beasts: Er, not really.

Brets: Could do a massive unit of like grail knights, but its not a good idea.

Daemons: Nurgle plaguebearers + characters as front rank - nigh on unkillable

Dark Elves: Shadestar - lots of shades with characters (very survivable and shooty, with 1/2 BS, MR3, Ring, unkillable lord)
Cold One Knights with Hydra Banner BSB - not that survivable comparatively speaking, but super killy
Blackguard? Could work i suppose

Dwarfs: Ironbreakers with Thorgrim and some thanes - unkillable and practically unbreakable

Empire: Inner Circle Knights, lots of them, especially with Griffon Banner (double rank bonus)

High Elves: Swordmasters with Korhil - survivable it ain't, but killy definitely. Not one i would recommend

Lizardmen: Common one is TG with Slann - LD8 cold blooded rerollable, ItP, stubborn, 2+ armour, T4, SCR 7. Go away. Massive points denial.
Theortical one is the terradon spam. -4 to shoot, MR1, fifteen billion rocks.

Ogres: Don't. Seriously

Orcs: Again, no.

Skaven: Nope.

Tomb Kings: Seeing a pattern here?

Warriors: Chosen of tzeentch with a couple of warshrines to give them 3+ ward, stubborn by turn 2. At which stage with a BSB, they are more or less unkillable.
Archaon + Knights of tzeentch with blasted standard - hard to kill and mashes things in combat
Archaon supported by stubborn banner BSB. What? He's unkillable, LD10 rerollable terror causing and chews through units.

Wood Elves: Technically, you could do an eternal guard deathstar. Don't tho...

Don Zeko
18-08-2009, 19:42
If special characters are allowed, I like the Lord Kroak + Temple Guard deathstar for Lizardmen. with minimum skink core and two engines, you get an unkillable unit that can spam salvation of itza to clear the enemy off of the board. The best part is that it actually works better against Daemons and VC!

Maoriboy007
18-08-2009, 20:39
Grave Guard with Mounted Wight Lord Drakenhof BSB (regen) BAnner of Barrows(+1 to hit) and Combat Vampire backed up by 1-2 Corpse Carts (for ASF) and a vampire with Helm of Command (unit has WS 6-7)

BE Black Guard with ASF Banner and Ring of Hotek, Pendant of Khaleth character and 1-2 hidden assasins with either Dark venom and ninja stars (chariot smasher) or killing blow with d3 extra attacks. Backed up by Black caulron (for KB or Ward Save) containing hag BSB (for re-rollable Break tests on stubborn)

6 Tomb KIng Chariots with Icon of the Sacred Eye (+1 to Hit) King with Flail and Prince with MR 2 and GW

Rez
18-08-2009, 21:51
Why have these armies become so popular of late? Surely people can see that taking these armies wrecks the game?

Guard of Itza
18-08-2009, 22:18
Why have these armies become so popular of late? Surely people can see that taking these armies wrecks the game?

They are for tournament play almost always. Most people who use these lists in friendly games to play many more friendly games.

The grail knight death star is intimidating but not really good in the end. To easily flanked if it is held in combat for more that one turn.

Rez
18-08-2009, 22:37
I realise that, but surely taking such a list to a tournament would kill your sports score. Unless you perfect your battle points, it would be hard to win a tourney with a **** sports score. Plus the fact that the games wouldnt be enjoyable at all for your opponent, and I dont know why you would take them.

Rawne
19-08-2009, 00:45
these lists are just stupid in my opinion, its how to be beardy and take the fun out of the game

Sarah S
19-08-2009, 00:50
Ogres: Don't. Seriously

Actually, this is one I have seen seriously discussed on the Ogre Stronghold.

Load up a unit with as many combat characters as you can and go to town. Have them all join a single Maneater for a nice stubborn killy block. And the nice thing about Ogre characters is that they are relatively mobile, so you can deploy them separately and then assemble (to form Voltron) later in the game when you need to whup something.

Fechik
19-08-2009, 13:11
I agree.. I have a friend that plays Ogre's and that's about all he talks about is an Ogre Death Star.. which he got from the Stronghold.

Something about Tyrant, 2 bruisers, and 3 maneaters or something like that.

Gaargod
19-08-2009, 15:29
Opps, missed the VC ones. Well, yeah Grave Guard or Blood Knights is how its normally done, obviously with Wight King with Drakhenhof banner.

These are the more effective ones anyways. Dunno why i really put the terradon one in, probably just because it would be funny to watch an opponent's face when you get like 40 D3 S4 hits, then points denial for the rest of the game. I didn't say it would be a good game...

I think the main problem with the ogre deathstar is that anything really killy will run through it more or less instantly - W3 T4 5+armour just isn't good enough for 90pts models. Plus, its quite a large point sink and usually reduces the number of butchers to get more hitty things. MSU of ironguts is generally more dangerous.

Witchblade
19-08-2009, 17:27
WoC: Trollstar.

Death Korp
19-08-2009, 20:01
What about the Archaon one? Him, unit of Tzeench knights with blasted standard. Nigh unstoppable, awesome too but alot of points!

DK

Guard of Itza
19-08-2009, 23:28
I realise that, but surely taking such a list to a tournament would kill your sports score. Unless you perfect your battle points, it would be hard to win a tourney with a **** sports score. Plus the fact that the games wouldnt be enjoyable at all for your opponent, and I dont know why you would take them.

Many tournaments do not use comp or painting in their scoring anymore. Ii sucks but it is a likely possibility. TOurnaments have become less about having fun in a competitive environment and more of figuring out how to completely crush any opponent. Fun for the person using them, which for some people is fun enough. Not to offend people who enjoy tournaments but to causal gamers tournament players often come of as jerks.

PARTYCHICORITA
20-08-2009, 00:00
The only deathstars that are actually good are the DE shade one, VC with either wolves or guards and one i recently saw on this board; a HE deathstar with Teclis and PG which seem kind of cool.

Any other deathstar are pretty sad since they load tons of points and can be ignore in a rather easy fashion.

relasine
20-08-2009, 07:06

I don't get how fielding a legal list "wrecks the game". Wouldn't that instead be indicative that the game itself was already wrecked?

Rez
20-08-2009, 11:12
No. Any game where the player chooses what he brings to the table will always been slightly unbalanced. The choice has to be made by the player - am I going to play with an army (ie; Warhammer), or am I going to try and squeeze every last advantage that I can out of a unit, resulting in (most probably) an unenjoyable game for at least one of the players.

Valtiel
20-08-2009, 11:30
Oh, how I wish Deathstars wasn't that big in the games now. Last time I played with my WoC, I went up against VC where they had the Grave Guard deathstar that hits on 2+, wounds most of mine on 2+ with killing blow and of course regeneration. It makes the game boring. Very much.

Funny enough, it never got into combat. Most of my army ran away because of fear. Funny game.

PeG
20-08-2009, 12:09
VC usually have problems getting sufficient magical defence. Next time you face this grave guard deathstar spam gateway and then ask him to bring something else for a more fun game.

relasine
20-08-2009, 17:38
No. Any game where the player chooses what he brings to the table will always been slightly unbalanced. The choice has to be made by the player - am I going to play with an army (ie; Warhammer), or am I going to try and squeeze every last advantage that I can out of a unit, resulting in (most probably) an unenjoyable game for at least one of the players.

I disagree with this statement completely. I'm of the opinion that the strength of a ruleset is determined at the highest, most competitive end of the metagame. If I go to a dozen GT's or large tournaments and see everyone playing and winning consistently with "X", then it usually means that the designers of the game screwed up, either making "X" too powerful for its cost or not properly capping the amount "X" that can be built into an army. The solution of using comp scores to regulate list builds is a horrible one because it is completely without any kind of rubric, and there's no accountability. I could say "that list is not getting a good comp score, because I don't like your hair", and there's nothing anyone could do about it. It's not hard to look at things like enormous, Stubborn blocks of infantry and figure out how to fix them (i.e. capping the amount of models that can go in there, errata things that push them over the edge, increase cost, etc.). But GW refuses to do these things, and would rather leave their game broken and move on to putting out the next army book or codex.

The problem is not the player, it's the game.