PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see in a Chracian army list?

Red_Lep
15-08-2009, 23:23
I was building an effective army to go along with my fun Sea Guard army(still being built, put on backburner because I'm short on cash right now) and it was too WAAC for me so I'm thinking of making a Chracian army instead(I already have most of these minis).

My question to you is, what would you like to see in a Chracian themed army?

EDIT: Old list

SilverWarlock
16-08-2009, 03:40
first of all the points on the chariots are wrong, not a big issue but figured id point it out.

As for the theme, taking a quick look at an Ulthuan map, Yvresse and Chrace are relatively far appart ... Eltharion doesn't seem all that fluffy and doesn't add much from a gaming perspective.

On the other hand, the Shadowlands are right next door and a Chrace/shadowlands hunting army would be quite a good theme.

As such I would suggest Alith Anar as a general, keeping Korhil and putting in more white lions (minimum size archers as core as apprentice shadow warriors?)

Red_Lep
16-08-2009, 04:00
The original thought behind Eltharion was to have a Prince on a Griffon, I've been going over the list and decided to drop the Griffon so I'm using just a generic Prince now(any advice on the equipment?).

And thanks for the catch on the chariots!

VilleVicious
16-08-2009, 10:43
If your prince is going to be on foot, great weapon, armour of caledor, vambraces of defense, amulet of light might be a good combo.

Another idea is to take the radiant gem of hoeth and some protection and give your prince the lore of Beasts and take the bears anger spell. This gives you a similar warrior/mage as eltharion (not as powerfull, but cheaper).

Banner of Ellyrion might be nice on one of the spearmen to give them some woodsmen like ability. It's cheap, so no worries if you don't use it that mutch.

Slayerthane
16-08-2009, 15:14
I think shadow warriors would be very in theme given the proximity to the Shadowlands but also given the woodsmen theme of Chrace armies. I would also suggest you could have 2 units of white lions, one being a larger block of 15-20, I would go 15 with a warbanner, and a smaller one for flank attacking since they can move through woods without penalty, maybe 10-12.

I realize that a popular thing to do with chrace lists is have dragon princes mounted on lions which is not in the fluff anywhere. You could have silver helms since all nobles fight in silver helm units according to the fluff. This will give you a cavalry option.

Spearmen with banner of Ellyrion would also be in theme because it would give them something similar to a woodsmen theme.

Red_Lep
16-08-2009, 15:48
I was thinking of something like this, any ideas?

My biggest worry is magic and ethereal creatures, any advice on how to counter them? Any advice on theme?(don't worry, no Lion Riders)

chippyman64
16-08-2009, 19:06
What about just "re-writing" the rules making white lions core, or even having spearmen with great wepons instead.

the gribbly
16-08-2009, 19:45
I really like the list, Definately has a chracian feel to it. I do have a few suggestions that would tighten it up the list a little while still keeping with the theme:

Prince- a very good standard setup, but the AoL is pretty much wasted in the spears. Why not put korhil in the spears and prince in the white lions. Now spears are stubborn and still have some magic attacks from korhil.
Also I would be tempted to kit the prince like this: Armor o Protection, white sword, Tol. This gives another unit magic attacks and frees up the AoC for the BsB who is currently over his limit on magic items allowance.

BsB- Currently has 55 pts in items. If you went with the above setup on the prince you could now give him AoC and AoL, giving him and a S6 WL unit magic attacks.

Mage- personally I would either drop him or give him 2 scrolls, preferably drop him for caradryan who could also go into the spears giving more fear immunity, MR 3, and some punch, but either way.

Spear elves- Spears can be really good with the right support/items. I would bump these to 24-29 strong though. Then if you did put khorhil and caradryan here the unit becomes a beast.

Eagles- I have been on the giving and recieving ends of 4 eagles and they can be horrendously powerful for their pts IMO. Still, a fluffy and strong edition I have used is 2 stubborn maneater lions for 180 pts (DoW OK maneaters, hvy armor, brace of handguns counts as ferocious roar).

The above changes would net you 4 characters in 3 units with magic attacks, 4 stubborn units, and 6 units immune to fear total. idk, just some suggestions and either way cool list. -grib

Red_Lep
16-08-2009, 20:37
Thanks, I really like some of your suggestions and this is what I came up with:

Time of Madness
16-08-2009, 20:55
If you really want to be in theme then you should limited yourself to the following list.

Prince (could be on griffon)
BSB
Korhil
Archers
White Lions
White lion chariots
Eagles

Time of Madness

the gribbly
16-08-2009, 21:05
ToM is right on concerning true chrace theme. Still your list is very cool and will be recognized as from chrace. I would definately drop an eagle to add 5 spears to the unit. -grib
Edit: 6 spears since your list is shy by 6 points.

WhiteKnight
16-08-2009, 21:36
Caradryan is a no for a chracean list. Just have a scroll caddy for magic defense and don't forget to pull out magic res with the banner of arcane protection. Also, a noble with the cloak that gives you the 2+ ward against magic will give you good magic defense.

Time of Madness
16-08-2009, 21:38
Here's my fav in theme chrace list.

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30123&p=638947&hilit=white#p638947

Red_Lep
17-08-2009, 00:18
Thanks for all the advice!

Hows this?

Lords- 663

Prince- 245
~Armor of Protection
~Talisman of Loec
~White Sword
**Goes in a unit of WLs

BSB- 158
~Armor of Caledor
~Amulet of Light
~Great Weapon
**Goes in a unit of WLs

(Any advice on which unit of WLs to put characters in?)

Korhil- 140
**Goes in Spearmen

Mage- 120
~Dispel Scroll
**Hides with Archers
.................................................. ..................................
Core- 361

Spearmen(24)- 251
~Standard Bearer
~Warbanner
~Musician
**Center

Archers(10)- 110
.................................................. ..................................
Special- 1024

White Lions(14)- 267
~Standard of Balance
~Standard Bearer

White Lions(14)- 247
~Lion Standard
~Standard Bearer

**On each side of the Spearmen

2x White Lion Chariot- 140
**On each side of the WLs

2x Silver Helms(5)- 115
~Shields
**On each side of the WLC
Rare- 200

4x Great Eagle- 50
Total- 2248

Is it workable and in theme?

Slayerthane
17-08-2009, 03:46
I would give the spearman unit Banner of Ellyrion rather than warbanner and then give one of the White Lion units Warbanner instead. The Banner of Ellyrion is primarily to give the spearmen the Woodsmen rule which is fluffy from a Chrace standpoint.

Red_Lep
22-08-2009, 13:10
Here is a very good question, how will this army deal with a large flying monster that lands behind it?

Would droping the Prince and his unit of White Lions for a Griffon Prince help?

Something like this maybe?

Lords- 886

Prince- 448
~Armor of Protection
~Talisman of Loec
~Star Lance
~Shield
~Griffon

BSB- 158
~Armor of Caledor
~Amulet of Light
~Great Weapon

Korhil- 140

Mage- 140
~2 Dispel Scroll
Core- 361

Spearmen(24)- 251
~Standard Bearer
~Warbanner
~Musician

Archers(10)- 110
Special-

White Lions(14)- 279
~Standard of Balance
~Standard Bearer
~Guardian

2x White Lion Chariot- 140

2x Silver Helms(5)- 115
~Shields
Rare- 200

Repeater Bolt Thrower- 100

2x Great Eagle- 50
Total- 2236