5 Dire Wolves

5 Dire Wolves

25 Grave Guard
Full Command
Banner of the Barrows

3 Fell Bats

3 Fell Bats

2000 points dead on.

So the plan is to pile all the characters into the Grave Guard unit, with the Zombies looking to hold the flanks. The Dire Wolves and the Fell Bats are all intended to redirect and disrupt the enemy lines. The 7 wolf unit is intended to pin down lords on dragons/Bloodthirsters/etc.

No raising, no magic movement, no heavy cavalry. Is it hopeless? There are 212 fear causing infantry models.

jme
16-08-2009, 01:37
By putting all your characters into one unit, it makes them very easy to avoid.
Meaning the rest of your army will be picked apart.
The dire wolf trick to hold up BT and dragon lords only really works when backed by magic as indeed does a vampire counts army!
I like the idea of taking unique and different armies but this one would be hard pressed to beat anyone.

Sarah S
16-08-2009, 01:57
You don't think that the 3 units of fast cav, 2 units of flyers and 4 massive blocks of zombies will allow me to at least pick a few battles for the deathstar?

SilverWarlock
16-08-2009, 02:24
You don't think that the 3 units of fast cav, 2 units of flyers and 4 massive blocks of zombies will allow me to at least pick a few battles for the deathstar?

probably not

If you want to compare it to something it is very much like a WoC list. In WoC an infantry deathstar has problems, the cavalry does most of the work.

I like the concept but I think you need more of the mobile and fighty VC (rather than zombies).

Maybe some wraiths (they cause serious problems even without magic support) supported by black knights and a coach ? If you want a VC deathstar without magic I would suggest the knights, M4 is too easy to avoid.

jme
16-08-2009, 02:33
Maybe, however againest a army with shooting and magic I dont think you would have any fast cav or flyers left by turn 2.
Wraiths would be better as they can screen, immune to shooting and can hit fairly hard.
I think it would be better with 2 units of grave guard with your characters spread across the 2 as this would be harder to avoid.
You've got me thinking now, I quite like the idea of a wight army!

kormas
16-08-2009, 04:48
it looks ok, but the zombies die REALY easily, i might recomend some skellies insted, or possable some ghouls, and get a fe small unitsof black knights in there, they are wonderful to ad a little punch to a combat, in this sort of army you are going to want to have alot of units that can dish out a bit of pain, zombies are just simple incapable of doing this

SilverWarlock
16-08-2009, 06:53
Maybe, however againest a army with shooting and magic I dont think you would have any fast cav or flyers left by turn 2.
Wraiths would be better as they can screen, immune to shooting and can hit fairly hard.
I think it would be better with 2 units of grave guard with your characters spread across the 2 as this would be harder to avoid.
You've got me thinking now, I quite like the idea of a wight army!

a few things though

a) probably better off using WoC list for the same theme, call them nurgle and go

b) combat only means you are usually better off character light, so really you just need a Lord and a BSB, the other points are better spent on more dudes to soak up the inevitable magic and shooting damage.

c) still better off with speed, remember that ogres are underdogs and they have a full army of M6 combat beasts ... M4 gets hurt if it has to attack.

d) Normal vampire lords can be mounted ... not to mention it could be ethereal :o Anyways, I have this vision of 2 wraith units and 2-3 black knight units (with whatever works for min core and a few fighty characters in the front line).

Jind_Singh
16-08-2009, 07:10
zombies die quicker than the time it takes to get them out the case and onto a movement tray!
Skeleton units would be ideal as they might even be expected to win combats!
Black Knights would give you a resiliant unit with decent armour save - they can take a charge as well as dish out pain
Ghouls would give you excellent posion - ideal against Ogres/Giants, and other such targets. Also with their poor WS hitting with posion is always good.
Otherwise it would be great to see how this list plays, against some armies it will fall apart as the magic heavy lists will burn it to the ground, but against most forces you'll have a decent chance - PROVIDING you can get the characters to combat. Good way to do it is by not having them deployed together - pull them together as the turns roll by so they wont really know were the deathstar will come from - I played against a guy who would put all 4 vampires in a skeleton unit - and belive me it was a blooody deathstar!

wingedserpant
16-08-2009, 21:33
Haha you nutter.

Its an absolute terrible list but would love to try it out.

Its the sort of list Konrad would take you know. Haha.

Maoriboy007
16-08-2009, 22:24
Konrad is one of the worst SC in 7 ed. Only to be considered as an army to play for "fun", depending on how much you like having Konrad going frothing mad or turning onto a dribbling ***** at various (and probably inconvenient) stages of the game.

Sarah S
16-08-2009, 23:29
Konrad is one of the worst SC in 7 ed. Only to be considered as an army to play for "fun", depending on how much you like having Konrad going frothing mad or turning onto a dribbling ***** at various (and probably inconvenient) stages of the game.

The thing is that he's only 145 points, and the Wight Kings in his unit are Ld 9.

So I'm not worried about him failing Stupidity when that happens.

Chaseyboy1er
17-08-2009, 00:44
your army can't march. you have no vampires, or the one banner to let them march.

Sarah S
17-08-2009, 00:48
Konrad is a Vampire dude.

He's also a general, with the extended marching radius.

Chaseyboy1er
17-08-2009, 01:19
ohhh, sorry, i skiped over him by accident

HellRaid
17-08-2009, 01:49
It's a cool list, but it's not going to win much. At all.

Personally I'd switch Konrad out for a resurrection-oriented lord with 5PD and +1 to Cast and Dispel. I know you don't want magic, but one caster and 3 WKs is a lot cooler and more viable than Konrad and 3 WKs.