PDA

View Full Version : empire 2250pts, heinzdoffen millitia

kormas
16-08-2009, 04:30
General Hanz looked out over the swaying grasslands that he called home, nestled between to hills was the town of Heinzdoff, named after his illustrious ancestor heinz spawnslayer. in the distence he herd the braying of warhorns, their call signiling the end of the 100 years of peace and prosperity that had encompased this region. looking back over his army he wondered how many of his men would live to see the dawn. there were no state troops in the army, there had not been time to send for aid. the villages of Heinzdoff would have to fight on without outside assistence.

well, fluff over :D. one night as a i was contemplating how to assemble my millita box and flaggellent box set to create my mordheim warband. i was enamoured by the idea of an army that was bassed upon free company. i am realy not sure how compeditive this idea could be but i decided to throw together a list, and with the help of warseer, construct a themed army that could also be compeditive.

without further ado:
LORDS
general Hanz=204
dawn armour
holy relic
sword of justice
shield
barded warhorse

this guy needs to survive to give my army a much needed Ld buble

HEROES
Capitan Karl=152
BSB-griffon banner
plate armour
barded warhorse

figured i might need the extra combat res that this guy gives

Warrior priest Johan=119
armour of metoric iron
X2 cc weapons

Warrior priest Thimo=134
enchanted shield
sword of battle
barded warhorse

these guys are there to give my units hatred so if i actualy get to attack i might do some dammage

CORE
40 free company=220
full command

40 free company=220
full command

40 free company=220
full command

40 free company=220
full command

40 free company=220
full command

this is the backbone of my army, these units are BIG so they can soak up ALOT of casulties before they panic

10 free company=50

10 free company=50

these guys are there to act as charge redirectors, and if i am versing a gunline they will hopefully be able to screne my bigger units

10 archers=80

10 archers=80

10 archers=80

i figured i needed a bit or range so these guys fit the bill, they are also missile shields and will hopefully manage to be anoying

20 flagglents=210
prophet of doom

mostly caus i like the minnies, but they are possabl the only thing in this army that can deal out some seriouis hurt when they charge

all opinions are welcome :D, i would realy like to get this list to be as compeditive as possable

Jind_Singh
16-08-2009, 06:35
keeping with your fluff....
the general would more than likely have a great cannon or 2 on his ancient castle walls - or on his border towers.
None of the newer war machines though - they wouldnt be with provincial forces.
Even a rustic lord would have access to at least 10 crossbows as part of his armoury so introduce them - but just dont take them with detachment so they act as statetroops.
No knights, fast cav, though you might be eligble to take 15 greatswords -sworn personal bodygaurd to their leige lord - and they would also act as his local law enforcers, they would man the key towers/gates, act as the Empire reps - so you could very easily (and without destroying your fluff) take 15 greatswords into the list without feeling bad - and they could take free company detachments.
By adding the 2 cannon and greatswords your army has enough teeth to bite back - as it stands it will look pretty but will get mauled as you wont be able to tackle big beefy targets that will run amok over your lines.
I love the concept though, good luck!

kormas
16-08-2009, 07:16
LORDS
general Hanz=204
dawn armour
holy relic
sword of justice
shield
barded warhorse

HEROES
Capitan Karl=152
BSB-griffon banner
plate armour
barded warhorse

Warrior priest Johan=119
armour of metoric iron
X2 cc weapons

Warrior priest Thimo=134
enchanted shield
sword of battle
barded warhorse

CORE
40 free company=220
full command

40 free company=220
full command

40 free company=220
full command

40 free company=220
full command

10 free company=50

10 free company=50

10 archers=80

10 archers=80

10 crossbowmen=100

20 flagglents=210
prophet of doom

SPECIAL
great cannon=100

great cannon=100

i am not 100% sure about the greatswords, when i look at them i see a unit that has a 4+ armour save, which is nice, but they cant take shields and have great weapons, good on the charge but wil fall like flies if they are charged and/or when they reach the second round of combat.

i agree that now i can actualy take out big things :D, and the crossbowmen give me some more hitting power with my range.
to get all this is simply dropped one unit of 40, so insted of 5 units of 40 i know have 4 :D

keep the comments comming, and if i am wrong about the greatswords please tell me :D

The Farmer
16-08-2009, 09:41
They do fall like flies but they have stubborn which is really the only reason to take them. They could represent grizzled veterans or something in a militia army.

With the freecompany units perhaps you could model some of the FC as swordsman (maybe a personal body guard for your general made up of militia with the best scrounged equipment carrying his personal banner which you haven't utilized yet), this has the advantage of providing the 10FC as detachments which reduces panic for your army and perhaps the archer detachments too. I prefer foot priests to have GW as I feel its more reliable than a second handweapon, remmeber WYSISYG is less prominent in fantasy than in 40k.

BTW your crossbows are pointed incorrectly.

Jind_Singh
16-08-2009, 16:38
yah I did think about swordsman, but once you bring them in then theres no stopping the rest of the state troops from comming in - after all we can invent as many stories as we want to justify a troop choice - hence the suggestion of only 10 crossbows.
As for greatswords - they do drop pretty quick but look at it like this....

Even if only 5-6 make it to combat they will tie down a unit for a turn or 2 as they are stubborn....
If by some chance the enemy doesn't target them you now have a solid combat unit....
And if the enemy does target them he isn't targeting your actual army......

NOT SAYING that the Greatswords are a must have, but they are not that bad either, 15 base troopers will only set you back 150pts

CaptainAwesome
16-08-2009, 21:12
You could have your town as part of a trading post and convert state troops to look like mercs or carvan guards? It's a nice idea winning games will be an up hill struggle mind.

Slayerthane
17-08-2009, 02:50
Well, the main problem with your list which I'm sure has been stated already is that you are relying on free company, who have no armor and an average WS, so they will die in drove to just about any opponent.

You could pretty easily model some halberdiers, and swordsmen using some of the free company plastics.