PDA

View Full Version : beginer 1000pt high elves (looking for comments pls)

Rawne
16-08-2009, 17:25
This is my idea for a 1k HE list to face Woc, VC, and LM, please leave some comments or advice on how it could be changed, thanks

Hero
Mage 165pts
lvl 2
Silverwand
dispell scroll

Core
14 spearsmen 151pts
full command

Special
5 silverhelms 131pts
shields
standard bearer

5 silverhelms 131pts
shields
standard bearer

lion chariot of chrace 140pts

tironic chariot 85pts

Rare
2 x Repeater bolt throwers 200pts

Total = 1003pts

any comments or suggestions would be great thanks

yashamaru38
16-08-2009, 17:31
could you please explain what the general idea of your army is? i can comment better if you do.

overall it looks like it might perform well.
but if yu could explain your plan a little then i could help out more

Rawne
16-08-2009, 17:38
well id form on 1 flank with my 2 bolt throwers at the back but with clear lines of sight over the field, with my spearsmen infront of them movin up slowly, with the mage inside who id prob give lore of heavens so i have hopefully some unlimited range spells, on the other flank id deploy all my silverhelms and 2 chariots and do a refused flank. it will force the oponent to put alil more over there to protect his flank. ive done this tactic so 3 or 4 times so far and its worked really well, the bolt throwers sofen up what ever the chariots are likely to be charging first and they seem to go straight threw them.

Chaseyboy1er
16-08-2009, 19:41
silver helms?!?! why? dragon princes are soo much better for only a little bit more points. and i would take archers instead of spearmen. it saves some points.

The_O
17-08-2009, 02:03
Spearmen are fine, especially if you can get courage of aenarion off. I would drop the silver helms tho for phoenix guards and or white lions and maybe toss a noble in with them.

Rawne
17-08-2009, 19:47
well id have dragon princes, but its all about the amount of money they cost to buy! they are very expensive and as i had the battalion and had some already, it saved me buying them. the spears seem to work well, they can beat most units that arent too heaily armoured, and same goes for PG or WL, cost alot to buy, im thinking of having either SM, PG or WL when we upgrade to 1500pts, but i dont know which would work better, any thoughts ?

The_O
18-08-2009, 15:55
There are some big differences betweem SM, WL and PG. SMs will deal out the most dmg but will prob be the target of missle fire and magic, thus taking huge casualites before getting into combat. I personally like WLs because they are stuborn, and u can always give them a 5+ ward save which makes them almost as resilent as PG.

Rawne
19-08-2009, 00:13
hmmm i do like WL's myself, and as il b facing a WoC army having the streght 6 would come in very handy for weakening armour saves

Tarian
19-08-2009, 01:21
Well, personally, I think you should try to perhaps convert the Helms into Princes, and the Princes are far superior combat-wise.

Additionally, HE elite infantry are all quite good, so pick the ones you like. (I personally favor Swordmasters)

And one final thing... try to get rid of those last 3 points. Typically, a 1000 point list is <= 1000 points. As a new player (it seems) I wouldn't mind, but there are people out there who would. (And to be honest, if I have to make cuts in my army to reach a certain point value, is it fair if my opponent is "just a couple over"?, yes it is a small matter of irritation to me, actually.)

stonetroll
19-08-2009, 05:36
its all about the amount of money they cost to buy!

Somebody picked himself the wrong army ;)

Wanna go cheap? Try Daemons with a little conversions. If you wanna do competitive HEs you just gotta get a lot of metal, which is only obtained by lots of $$ :s

Rawne
19-08-2009, 18:07
lol ive got the basics tho lol i have all of the above, and we will b playing 1k points for some time, not progessing til me and my friends all have our armies almost all painted, so i have time to save for any additions . its just the core of my army that i want to be cheap lol extra to the above i have:
16 archers
2 mages on foot
another 6 SHs
so the next 500 points i can either work with those or by that time il have enough to buy a unit of say 15 WL/SM/PG and a noble or 2 or DP's

Rawne
19-08-2009, 18:09
i was thinking about dropping 1 unit of SH and mayb replacing with a unit of archers, thoughts?

Tarian
19-08-2009, 19:09
Do you have any Repeater Bolt Throwers? I think that would help you more than another unit of archers.

Signius
19-08-2009, 19:45
Do you have any Repeater Bolt Throwers? I think that would help you more than another unit of archers.

He has max RBT already.

If you are dropping silverhelms for something, make it one of the units of special infantry (if no DPs as already mentioned). Best would probably swordmasters, just because for 131 points they're the only ones who can get a useful unit size (7 is a good size for them in smaller games, whereas the others should have more, being more anvil type units).

Tarian
19-08-2009, 20:35
Ah, my mistake I missed the bolts. I would agree that HE swordmasters would be a good addition. They hit hard, though a little frail.

Rawne
19-08-2009, 23:02
yeah im thinkin mayb trying out the SM, what would i take regards to command group?

Tarian
20-08-2009, 01:44
For me, I take standard/champ in large(ish) ~14+ regiments, just the Champ in smaller. (No reason to give up 100 vp to a chariot charge.

Chaseyboy1er
20-08-2009, 02:01
i would suggest korhil in a unit of swordmasters with the lion standard. they become stubborn 9, and immune to fear and terror.

azindal
20-08-2009, 14:04
i would suggest korhil in a unit of swordmasters with the lion standard. they become stubborn 9, and immune to fear and terror.

Thats way too costly for a 1000 point game.

As somebody else mentioned, drop those extra points!
No point having a limit if its ignored.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
20-08-2009, 18:08
Unless you already own the silver helms, ditch them. They arent worth the points not to mention that the models themselves are ugly. For seven more points you get a gorgeous dragon prince :P I think you need another ranked unit. Lion chariot is kinda expensive for a small game. Two chariots in a small game is also kinda expensive. I would drop atleast the lion one and a unit of silver helms for 15 more spearmen and a unit of dragon princes 5 strong with no command save a banner. If you can fit in the banner of sorcery somewhere do so. Unless you just want to dispel. If thats the case, just take 2 scrolls on the mage. Two bolt throwers in 1000 pts is also really expensive. Any flyers, scouts, or worse will eat them. Its also kinda mean...
Good luck

Jind_Singh
20-08-2009, 18:19
I played a 1000 pt game yesterday with my Orcs & Goblins yesterday....what a game! I have never been trounced so hard by such a punny looking, small army! When I saw him deploy I was so confident - he had 2 units of 15 sea gaurd, 1 bolt thrower, 1 Hero BSB with standard that makes the unit immune to magic, and another hero with magic weapon and something that made the other unit magic resistance 2, and a lion chariot.
I took 2 units of 20 orc boyz, a boar chariot, 3 ironguts, 2 units of 10 spiders with bows, a gobo shaman level 2, a big boss.
Even though I had pretty bad luck during the game I was amazed at just how punishing his army is. The bolt thrower just destroyed unit after unit with it's 6 shots. The lion chariot - I woke up in the middle of the night screaming as I remembered how it charged a unit of orc boyz and destroyed them - 4 str 5 attacks, 2 str 6 attacks, and impact hits! What the hell is that thing - terrible! And worst of all were the sea gaurd. Now I have heard nothing but bad press about them, but in a 1000pt game they are deadly - they peppered me with bowfire all game (1 unit was on a hill) and when I started to close he reduced his frontage to add a rank to get an effective combat unit.
Amazing at how much damage these pointy ears can dish out!!!!

Tarian
20-08-2009, 18:38
FYI, the lion chariot crew only gets S5 on their attacks, since they're mounted on the chariot.

Rawne
21-08-2009, 22:47
well ive played a few games with my list now and everything works well together so i dont think i need to change anything, using 2 SH units and 2 chariots and using them on refused flank is pretty much destroying anything in there path and how is 2 repeater bolt throwers abit mean? im allowed it :P they arent protected, they can easily be taken out. SH true wouldnt perform as well as DP's would but, its what ive already got( i got a load of HE stuff on the cheap from a friend) obviously as we build the pts up to 1500 , 2000, 2250 i can think about getting me some. i like how my army is so mobile 4 fast moving units moving and working as 1, seems to be pretty scary.

Tarian
22-08-2009, 14:33
There is a very big difference between "allowed" and "mean". I'm "allowed" to field tournament lists against new players, but that's still "mean". That being said, I still field 2 bolts in games 1000+

T10
22-08-2009, 23:24
Normally I'd suggest going for a defensive magic user, but a level 1 "scroll caddy" can't effectively spend his entire power dice allotment (1 level + 2 pool, max 2 dice per spell, one spell...) So you might as well go for the big package there. However, consider the standard Lores. The Lore of Death is always useful.

I'd like to suggest a single larger unit of Silver Helms. At 5 models strong their role is pretty much limited to being distractions rather than effective units, a role you might be better off assigning to fast cavalry or scout units.

Now, I know you're working on a budget, and just dropping a unit of Silver Helms won't give you a lot of effective points. But please concider taking one unit of 8 silver helms (full command and War Banner) and spend the rest on increasing the size (and width) of your Spearmen.

Finally, if you want to go for small units, two units of 10 Spearmen (5x2) isn't at all a choice: On a charge it gets to attack with all models since the Spearment usually fight in 3 ranks. And more units give you a better chance of out-maneuvering the enemy.

I don't know if you have the money to spend on Great Eagles, but in 1000 points a single Eagle can move around pretty safely and pick out vulnerable targets such as enemy Wizards.

-T10

Rawne
23-08-2009, 21:20
t1o thanks for the advice, ive thought about making the SH units a single large unit, and i think im going to try this in the next battle i have against VC's and see how this works.

Deoh
24-08-2009, 15:55
It is a good list, I am more of a melee player myself so I would drop the mage and play a little more aggressive. Also dropping the silver helms would be your best choice, they have never done any good for me ever. I would not reccomend putting archers in, I usually just use them as a light wall for power to come from the sides. Bolt throwers are your best range deffense I have came across. I have been play HEs for a while against mostly Orcs, DE, Lizard Men, and VC.

ConfuciusCubed
26-08-2009, 03:47
If you're going to field spearmen, field the minimum amount and don't waste points in command. Core units are the area of weakness for the elves, and they benefit from only having to field 1 at 1k. Don't waste more points on it than you have to. This will free up points for something better.

As people mentioned, don't bother with two units of Silver Helms. One unit of Dragon Princes isn't much more and it will perform much better. If you free up points with some of the other things I've suggested don't be shy about fielding two as Dragon Princes are incredibly useful.

Stick with the Lion chariot and don't bother with the Tiranoc. Trying to flank with both will just have then both getting in each others' way and you're better off with the extra Dragon Princes.

With any extra points left over, pick up some Swordmasters, White Lions or Phoenix Guards. They're all very effective in their own way--Swordmasters are one of the best 1-to-1 combat units in the game as long as you don't get broken. White Lions are great for their surviveability against standard shooting and their stubborn ability. Phoenix Guards have that nasty 4+ ward save which makes them really hard to kill (and makes them a great bodyguard unit for your mage because they won't fall easily to war machines or magic). They also cause fear which would be useful against VC and sometimes WoC since they can cuase fear as well (and units which cause fear are not affected by units which cause fear).

Also, don't go 3 points over. This is common sense and common courtesy. When I was a beginner I knew better and you should too.

Jind_Singh
26-08-2009, 07:50
I second some of the above. Took my daemons against high elves today (was feeling grouchy so decided to dish out pain), and the 2 units of spears (10 strong) with full command did only 4 useful things.

1) Die really quick
2) Give out the VP for dying really quick
3) Quickly gave me an additional 100 VP for capturing the standard
4) With the captured standard in hand the deamons took a deamon **** on the field of battle and used it to clean their deamonic butts (especially the bloodletters, they got the packing rears!

So the full command was a huge waste of points - we (me the elf player) talked about it afterwards and those things are gone!!!

Swordmasters - quite possibly I only hate a few things more than facing these buggers in battle! The only way to kill them is with missle fire (magic or mundane) as you got almost no chance in combat. ?!
High WS, str 5, ASF, TWO attacks each - WHAT?!
A small unit is enough to dish out pain - but you need at least 6-7 frontage to squeeze those extra attacks in.
Lion chariot - quite possibly one of the best in the game, hits so hard you'll feel their punch till next tuesday

Tarian
26-08-2009, 16:29
I actually think that spears are useful. Yes, they struggle horribly against any elites out there, but against *most* armies, they're very good against their core/weak units leaving your elites free to deal with the more important targets in the enemy line.

I personally field 14 normally, in a 3x5 block with the mage using them as ablative armor and as a screen for the Bolt Throwers/Archers.

Raffe
26-08-2009, 22:34
Am i missing something here?
I recently bought the new High Elves armybook, but i cant seem to find anywhere that u can field 2 Boltthrowers as a single rare like u could before.
Have they removed it or am i just unable to find it.

Tarian
26-08-2009, 23:04
You can't field 2 for 1, you just get more rare choices to compensate.

Rawne
31-08-2009, 20:31
spearsman vs undead infantry seems to work fine, i murdered there core units as i take the charge and fight with 3 ranks, obviously against chaos warriors they dont work so well, but ive been using those for pin cusions with my RBTs. il try using the SHs in a single units see if that adds more punch.