PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing an army (for tourneys/regular play)

Captain Ahab
16-08-2009, 18:04
Hey, I haven't played Warhammer in a long time and sold all my old models, so I'm making a new army from scratch that I'll like to bring to tournaments with my friend next year. So I've been looking at a bunch of different armies trying to find one I'll really enjoy.

So my wish list is basically:
-reliable
-requires thinking/tactics
-balanced
-combined arms feel

What armies would you recommend looking into? Lizardmen is an army that caught my eye but I haven't read the new book yet on them. Thanks for any suggestions!

Dragune
16-08-2009, 19:13
Well Lizards are pretty balanced they can be either magic heavy with the slann are close combat heavy with the carnosaur and have the other heros make up for what you didn't take. They are very reliable with their cold blooded leadership (besides that one day where I failed about 7 leadership tests :wtf:) The terradons are probably our most tactical unit and you probably wouldn't make a list without a unit of those guys. All the jungle monsters and the saurus and skinks make for a good combined forces feel if you ask me. :D

Hope I helped.

Tuch
16-08-2009, 19:43
I am probably partial to armies I have played but Lizards, as suggested, are great fun and can be both casual and competitive. Warriors of Chaos can be competitive and fun as well.

Dark Elves, Vampires and Daemons are all doing very well in the tournament scene however; though both Vampires and Daemons are reliable (or overpowered depending on your take) they are less tactical to me as you cannot perform flee maneuvers due to ITP so bait tactics cannot be used.

All in all any of the 7th edition armies, except maybe Orcs and Goblins, have at least 1 or 2 competitive builds that are suitable for tournament play, I'd simply pick the army you like the fluff and models of most and go from there.

Captain Ahab
16-08-2009, 20:29
Thanks for the input guys!

CaptainAwesome
16-08-2009, 21:19
I play Empire as my main army as they can take every unit type bar monsters so you can try your hand at anything. On top of that you have the unique steam tank and can use all eight lores from the army book. They really are the combined arms force.

mossel
16-08-2009, 22:54
Gotta love wood elves! and I'm not even talking about 2 treemen and a BSB!

they're really mobile, can dish it out every phase (although magic never really damages your opponent, unless maybe when using the Lore of Beasts on a spellweaver :) )

I play 2 different lists with them in 2k points: either a Highborn with 5 S3 shots no AS allowed and enemies in base contact always strike last or a level 4 mage with a ward save, ranu's heartstone and a scroll :)

rest of the army: glade guard, dryads, wild riders, warhawks, treekin, waywatchers and an eagle. there are always an alter noble with HoDA, a L2 caddy and a L1 branchwraith with them :)

mr_vespa
17-08-2009, 14:11
Hey, I haven't played Warhammer in a long time and sold all my old models, so I'm making a new army from scratch that I'll like to bring to tournaments with my friend next year. So I've been looking at a bunch of different armies trying to find one I'll really enjoy.

So my wish list is basically:
-reliable
-requires thinking/tactics
-balanced
-combined arms feel

What armies would you recommend looking into? Lizardmen is an army that caught my eye but I haven't read the new book yet on them. Thanks for any suggestions!

This might sound like corny red-shirt advice, but hear me out. If Lizzies caught your eye, go for it. Why? Sure, you can read all the armybooks you want, but the bottom line for playing comes down to the models. If you like the models you're playing with, you'll be that much more motivated into building/painting them. Style of play is important, agreed. But also consider the 'natural' affinity with your selected army :).

Enigmatik1
17-08-2009, 19:13
:QR:

I think the OP wants Lizardmen or Tomb Kings, based on his criteria. Lizardmen are a "better" army (in terms of overt power level) right now because we Tomb Kings are long overdue for our 7E release.

I don't really like the look of the Lizardmen (and one of my group already plays them). But for competitive play/serious games, I have to recommend LM. (which makes me sad irl).

Captain Ahab
18-08-2009, 21:10
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I picked up the Lizardmen book and really like it. Came up with 2 possible lists, let me know what you think in the army list section, thanks!