PDA

View Full Version : Empire wizards and lore

Skywave
16-08-2009, 19:12
I'm plannig to slowly (very slowly) build an Empire army, I'll build and/or paint them at random to take a break from my undead!

I've done some list on Army Builder, and of course, I include a mage in there. I already have a wizard kit (was bought for some Necromancer conversion, until 7th ed made them suck), so I can already start with this one.

My question is, what other Empire player do, model-wise, with their mages? Do you model them for a specific lore, and always use them for that lore? Or do you make a random model and use whatever lore you feel like using?

Looking at it, there's at least half the lore that I can see me using, but I'm not sure yet if I want one model for each one. It wouldn't be a problem to use 1 model for whatever lore I want in my game (only friendly game with friends), but I'd like to know what people do with this.

snottlebocket
16-08-2009, 19:27
I'm plannig to slowly (very slowly) build an Empire army, I'll build and/or paint them at random to take a break from my undead!

I've done some list on Army Builder, and of course, I include a mage in there. I already have a wizard kit (was bought for some Necromancer conversion, until 7th ed made them suck), so I can already start with this one.

My question is, what other Empire player do, model-wise, with their mages? Do you model them for a specific lore, and always use them for that lore? Or do you make a random model and use whatever lore you feel like using?

Looking at it, there's at least half the lore that I can see me using, but I'm not sure yet if I want one model for each one. It wouldn't be a problem to use 1 model for whatever lore I want in my game (only friendly game with friends), but I'd like to know what people do with this.

You don't have to commit to a lore while building your army, it's a big part of what makes battle wizards so flexible. You could make a whole bunch of different battle wizard models or make a generic one that could do any lore and choose what lore and wizard you want to use at the start of each battle.

No need to decide beforehand what your wizard is going to do really.

brendel
16-08-2009, 19:30
I surpose it depends on if you want to theam your army or not and on how you want to use him, offencive or devencive, lately i have seen an increase of light wiards becuase of there spells good use verses deamons and undead.

Sheena Easton
16-08-2009, 19:39
I remember the days when they had 16 - 25 different Empire Wizard models (8 metal on foot, 8 metal mounted, 9 plastic on foot from Talisman / WHQ)...

If you prefer one lore over all others, you can build a model purely for that lore - and with a few accessories / good use of colour it can double for another lore. Or you can build one for general use - the common "Gandalf" type look seems to be used as an all-comers a lot.

Gaargod
16-08-2009, 20:22
In terms of effectiveness however, its usually Metal or Beasts - metal is flexible enough to be used most of the time, with some very useful spells, whilst beasts also has very powerful spells for a comparatively low price. Light also deserves an honourable mention for its effectiveness vs undead and daemons (sans sundering banner) and its generally a reasonable lore.

All of the lores are possible to use however, don't get me wrong. Its just for me at least, some of the lores are better.

Condottiere
16-08-2009, 20:25
Metal seems overall the best - however, for tactical reasons, you consider the other seven if you can find a way to exploit a weakness in your opponent or promote a strength in your army.

Briohmar
16-08-2009, 21:20
I have the whole set of plastic wizards from the old box set, plus I bought one of the new boxes, and won a second one for best painted in a tournament, so I've never really given it much thought, but if you built one or two generic wizards from the new set, and painted them feirly neutral, you could probably change lores as you see fit. Also, Rantasy players aren't too anal about WYSIWYG, so just make sure you identify the lore with the mage when you deploy, and all should be well.

Griefbringer
16-08-2009, 21:29
I remember the days when they had 16 - 25 different Empire Wizard models (8 metal on foot, 8 metal mounted, 9 plastic on foot from Talisman / WHQ)...

But out of those plastic ones, only 7 were Empire wizards (remaining 2 being for dark elves and chaos sorceror). And I happen to own all of them.

On the metal side, there was a model for the supreme patriarch also, though.

Briohmar
16-08-2009, 21:33
Yes, And I happen to like that Dark Elf Sorceress better than any of the current ones. the Chaos one is Chariot mounted, and looks pretty good too, especially as he's painted in purples (can swap easily btween Tzeentch and Slaanesh.

Commodus Leitdorf
16-08-2009, 21:56
You wizard colour scheme does not have to match the lore he takes if you dont want to. My wizard has a generic colours (black cloak, gold trim, red cape) so I use him for any lore.

That being said, I do also know an empire player who brings wizards of each lore and depending on what lore he chooses he uses a corresponding wizard.

So long as you point out who know what lore the colour scheme is up to you.

Leogun_91
16-08-2009, 22:00
I use a model that fits the lore they are using.....or will do that when I start my empire army.

Lordsaradain
16-08-2009, 22:56
I have multiple models (one for each lore, although I have two fire wizards as I tend to use that lore the most).

HellRaid
17-08-2009, 02:19
When I had an Empire army, I painted my wizards appropriately to the lores they'd normally use (I think there's some fluff behind the robe colours in the empire book/rulebook, actually).

I'd love to see a rainbow wizard though. He could cast anything.

Condottiere
17-08-2009, 06:27
They're called Mages and wear skirts.

Lord 0
17-08-2009, 14:05
My army is very mage oriented so I am modeling a mounted and foot variant of a Wizard Lord of each College, a mounted and foot variant of a Battle Wizard of each College and an auxilary foot variant of select Colleges that I think is likely I may take two of (eg Light, Jade, Gold, etc.).

That new plastic Empire wizard box is pretty good. You get enough to make two in there. You could make one of your favourite college and one generic one.

Griefbringer
17-08-2009, 17:09
As for making the most of the contents of the wizards kit, perhaps you could try combining some of the left over bits with bodies from another kit (flagellants?) to produce a few extra wizards with a bit of variety.

Sureshot05
17-08-2009, 18:03
I have all the lores I like to use modelled and set my wizards theme to that lore. I have one celestial, one fire, one light, and two grey (mounted and unmounted). I like having the wizard themed to the lore, and more importantly,I tend to find that you grow use to maximising the effect of some of the lesser perceived lores which can be a nasty shock to an opponent who doesn't expect you to bring out the long lost lore of light etc.

Course, it also helps that I like expanding my empire constantly so adding another lore is always fun :)

Keller
18-08-2009, 14:46
I have models for each of the lores which I use with any regularity. Some of them are the old models for specific Schools, others are just models painted and decorated up for a particular school. My main ones are Beast, Light, and Fire, but I also have Shadows and Death mages. I rarely run more than 3 mages, and rarely 2 from the same school, so this works well for me.

Granted, you don't have to select your lore at list creation, but I don't find it hard to squeeze in 8 mage models into my box when I already carry 200+ models for the main army. I just pick hwichever model to use at the start of the game.

Lord Zarkov
18-08-2009, 18:34
As for making the most of the contents of the wizards kit, perhaps you could try combining some of the left over bits with bodies from another kit (flagellants?) to produce a few extra wizards with a bit of variety.

High Elf archers work well, WE might also work. You can get about 6 reasonble mages out of the wizard box then.

Sheena Easton
19-08-2009, 00:47
A few extra ones:

The Light Acolytes from 4th / 5th Ed
Mordheim Warlock & Witch
HQ & AHQ Wizards
High Wizard & Storm Master from HQ WOM
Classic generic Wizards
Former Suprime Patriarch from 4th / 5th Ed (mounted Bright / Fire Wizard which is a far better model than the crappy current pegasus mounted one)

But out of those plastic ones, only 7 were Empire wizards (remaining 2 being for dark elves and chaos sorceror). And I happen to own all of them.

On the metal side, there was a model for the supreme patriarch also, though.

Generic Wizard - WHQ
Generic Wizard - Talisman
Druid - Talisman DOD
Alchemist - Talisman DT
Shaman - Talisman DOD
Astronomer - Talisman DT
High Priest - Talisman DOD
Fire Wizard - Talisman DOD
Which is 8.

For some reason I thought there was a "death" wizard in COA when its actually an assassin (which would actually make a decent wizard with a simple weapon swap)

Skywave
19-08-2009, 05:15
Interesting to see many that use apriopritate wizard for the lore they use :) I'm just starting so for now I'm just making 2 generic mage with my kit, but I can easily see me doing some more specific mage down the road.

Is there any good way to get a mounted wizard all in plastic? I'd like to limit the metal as much as possible for now.

Condottiere
19-08-2009, 05:54
I'm a cheapskate, I prefer to have a generic model; it also has a tactical function, my opponent wouldn't be sure which Lore I chose before rolling for spells.

Baerdog7
19-08-2009, 07:08
Interesting to see many that use apriopritate wizard for the lore they use :) I'm just starting so for now I'm just making 2 generic mage with my kit, but I can easily see me doing some more specific mage down the road.

Is there any good way to get a mounted wizard all in plastic? I'd like to limit the metal as much as possible for now.

The High Elf wizard kit works very well with the plastic Empire wizard kit. It's just a simple matter of swapping the head and staff and filing off as much of the high elf iconography as you want. You will still have enough Empire wizard bits left over to build two wizards on foot, and could even build a second mounted wizard from the left overs if you had another High Elf box. Here is one that I have converted up (not painted, sadly), and I have another on the way.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g141/Baerdog7/IMG_2109.jpg

Keller
19-08-2009, 15:53
I'm a cheapskate, I prefer to have a generic model; it also has a tactical function, my opponent wouldn't be sure which Lore I chose before rolling for spells.

While it could be an advantage that the enemy doesn't know your lore, I find it more advantageous for me to have it readily displayed. It keeps me from mixing up my 2 mages, if nothing else! :skull:

Skywave
19-08-2009, 19:02
The High Elf wizard kit works very well with the plastic Empire wizard kit. It's just a simple matter of swapping the head and staff and filing off as much of the high elf iconography as you want. You will still have enough Empire wizard bits left over to build two wizards on foot, and could even build a second mounted wizard from the left overs if you had another High Elf box. Here is one that I have converted up (not painted, sadly), and I have another on the way.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g141/Baerdog7/IMG_2109.jpg

That's quite interesting! Thanks for the info, I'll try to get my hand on the elf kit :)

TheSanityAssassin
20-08-2009, 03:22
I always write a particular lore into my lists and use it regardless of whether it's the most functional or not. Given that I'm also a High Elf player I really like to stick to the fluff of "humans can only control one warren" and given that, a particular army list should contain 1 particular guy rather than 8 wizards, of which the best one is always sent to battle....

But I'm a bit of a fluff-nazi.

Keller
20-08-2009, 13:42
I always write a particular lore into my lists and use it regardless of whether it's the most functional or not. Given that I'm also a High Elf player I really like to stick to the fluff of "humans can only control one warren" and given that, a particular army list should contain 1 particular guy rather than 8 wizards, of which the best one is always sent to battle....

But I'm a bit of a fluff-nazi.

That's an excellent point. I nearly always choose my lore at list creation, though I tend to pick magic to augment my army rather than worry about what the enemy may have. I like to have some written fluff for my force, so I'll have "Ashby the Wander" shadows mage, not Wizard w/ X lore.

Still, for quick write ups and unplanned games, I end up with general wizards who get whichever lore I feel like at the time, but again it tends to be based more on my army composition rather than what is on the other side of the table.