PDA

View Full Version : Casket of Souls Question...

New Cult King
10-01-2006, 05:37
Hi all,

My regular gaming opponent and I have just started Fantasy - him with Tomb Kings, and myself with Chaos.

He was told today by a Redshirt that the Casket of Souls has an ability, every turn, where you roll 2D6+2, and for every point that score exceeds the leadership of every unit that can draw line of sight to it, that unit takes a wound.

So, if I have 5 units with a leadership score of 10 all in line of sight of the Casket, and my opponent rolls 12, +2, each one of those units suffers 4 wounds? Do I even get an armour save?

I just need some clarification, as my opponent has a tendancy to... bend the rules and special abilities of his units, as he is very fond of winning at all costs...

Thanks in advance.

Ganymede
10-01-2006, 06:25
well, first off remember that the casket is a 2d6 bound spell and can be dispelled like normal spells.

Secondly, i am pretty sure that the casket rolls 2d6+2 for each individual unit that can see it.

Strictly Commercial
10-01-2006, 06:32
It does have that ability, and there are no saves allowed. It can, however, be dispelled depending on the incantation level of the casting (on 2d6). They are considered magical attacks, so they ignore daemon ward saves and the like, but regular ward saves can be taken and wounds can be regenerated.

Line of sight will apply to any unit that can draw a straight line to the target unobstructed from a single point (which will usually mean any unit on the table). It may seem like the shaft, but I suspect the rule is in there so the TK player doesn't abuse the rules by trying to put it in a building and still get its benefits. There is also no range for the casket, so there is really no safe place on the table. If you somehow get some ranged attacks (tough with Chaos but there are still spells), they can be used to target it but if any of the shots land on the casket, they are ignored.

It causes terror, and its guards have killing blow. I think that covers everything, hope that helps.

New Cult King
10-01-2006, 07:00
Christ on a bike. That's awful.

Festus
10-01-2006, 08:55
Hi

It is very much the WHFB analogy to Indiana Jones Ark, and you have to draw LoS to it to be affected and as said, it can be dispelled, as it is a bound spell.

Greetings
Festus

T10
10-01-2006, 10:04
A good tactic is to ensure that you have at least one model or unit with Magic Resistance keeping an eye on the Casket.

Then you can be reasonably sure of dispelling it at the end of the turn without having to let all of the tactical movement incantations through.

I recommend Stone Trolls for Orcs and Goblins.

-T10

Mad Makz
10-01-2006, 10:16
Yeah, remember that he rolls the dice for each unit affected by the casket.

Also, opposing wizards have their dice rolls for casting attempts at a -1 when the Casket is on the table ( a sometimes overlooked fact and one of it's better attributes.)

All in all though, it is rather expensive, only helps the tomb kings somewhat, quite fragile, and makes for a static-immobile heirophant (which generally isn't the best idea with Tombkings, you need those incantations where they'll be the most use.)

Strictly Commercial
10-01-2006, 11:13
A good tactic is to ensure that you have at least one model or unit with Magic Resistance keeping an eye on the Casket.

Then you can be reasonably sure of dispelling it at the end of the turn without having to let all of the tactical movement incantations through.

I recommend Stone Trolls for Orcs and Goblins.

-T10

I don't think magic resistance applies to the casket. The reason for this is because I'm pretty certain the incantation isn't considered to be cast on any particualr unit, but simply cast, although an argument may be made that since it affects units it could apply. Might be tricky but my gut tells me magic resistance doesn't apply (and usually my mind deciphers what my gut tells me in a far more logical manner a short time later).

Gorbad Ironclaw
10-01-2006, 12:17
Might be tricky but my gut tells me magic resistance doesn't apply.

Your gut is wrong then. Magic resistance do apply, why wouldn't it? It's a magic effect cast on every single unit with LoS. So if just one model with LoS to it have magic resistance, you get those dice to add to your dispel roll.

It's also been confirmed in a Q&A.

Overall, the casket really isn't all that, it's good at sucking dispel dice out, but if you got any sort of MR, it's in trouble. Not to mention, it's expensive and relativly easy to kill.

Flame
10-01-2006, 14:31
Its main good point IMO is that it forces armour heavy armies such as brets or chaos to save dispel dice to stop it, allowing other, more important incantations off.

ironduke
10-01-2006, 17:10
Your gut is wrong then. Magic resistance do apply, why wouldn't it? It's a magic effect cast on every single unit with LoS. So if just one model with LoS to it have magic resistance, you get those dice to add to your dispel roll.

It's also been confirmed in a Q&A.

Overall, the casket really isn't all that, it's good at sucking dispel dice out, but if you got any sort of MR, it's in trouble. Not to mention, it's expensive and relativly easy to kill.

yup it has you take the highest magic resistance that applies in the case of dispelling the casket

GranFarfar
10-01-2006, 18:34
All in all though, it is rather expensive, only helps the tomb kings somewhat, quite fragile, and makes for a static-immobile heirophant (which generally isn't the best idea with Tombkings, you need those incantations where they'll be the most use.)

Donīt you mean liche-priest here? As far as I know there is no rule which require the heiropanth to operate the casket(correct me if I am wrong).
Caus it is rather unwise otherwise to keep him stationed.

But as has been stated, the casket isnīt to bad - provides 2 pd for the TK players which he knows(most of the time that is) his opponent will try to dispell.

Skinnydookie
10-01-2006, 18:47
GranFarfar is correct. As a Tomb King player I can tell you that ANY Liche Priest may 'operate' the casket; it does not have to be the hierophant. In fact to use the hierophant for the casket would be an extremely bad idea and make him a sitting duck.

m1s1n
10-01-2006, 19:09
Last week when I played TK using the Casket I found it best NOT to have your Heirophant in the Casket because you risk making him a big target.

Also remember that the Casket does not target units in combat. It really is pretty easy to dispell--especially if you follow T10s advice on Magic Resistance.

The two guards with Killing Blow really have little affect on the game because they do not leave the Casket, and if the Casket gets into Combat (assuming the Terror does not ward off enemies) it is not going to be a positive outcome.

@NCK: If your friend has not figured it out yet, Tomb Kings are not hardy. They moderately fast and specialized, but they are very difficult to play. You cannot march them into combat and expect great outcomes and little mistakes start looking like big mistakes before you know it. Anyway, that's my feeling on Tomb Kings.

Mad Makz
10-01-2006, 22:33
Oops, I mean Liche Priest, I always accidentally use Hierophant....

The other thing you CAN do is crew the casket with more than one Liche Priest. This isn't really useful in and of itself, but what it means is that one liche priest can join the casket and then the other liche priest who was manning the casket can leave. It also means that you could put two liche priests on the casket if you were worried about one being snipered first turn (Potentially useful against empire's hochland long rifles and woodelves who also have a lot of sniper items.)