PDA

View Full Version : Ogres against Daemons need help

Tweakout
17-08-2009, 00:20
Hi I have now been in two tournaments and seem to always face daemons, since they are popular. Every time my Ogre Kingdom army comes up against a daemon army I just get ravaged. Its been a massacre in favor of the daemons with everything I have on the table killed. I guess I am flabbergasted on how Ogres can handle daemons. What can be done to a chunk of plaguebearers with herald, BSB, and lots of upgrades? How can they handle a changer of ways or any of the other magic heavy tactics? I am honestly feeling frustrated not by the continual loses but by the feeling of utter helplessness to stop the loses from being so complete. Are there in tactics in general Ogres can use or something I am missing? Any help is appreciated.

CrownAxe
17-08-2009, 10:08
Unfortunately Daemons are the best tournament armies while Ogres are one of the worst tournament armies.

Only thing that comes to mind are Scraplaunchers, since they have killing blow so will ignore Regeneration and can easily wound the rest of the other daemons

Kerill
17-08-2009, 10:56
Tyrant with tenderiser is all you can hope for against the nurgle herald. 5*.666*.8333*.666*.5*D3= 1.8 wounds i.e. a dead herald on average.

Rikkjourd
17-08-2009, 11:28
Unfortunately Daemons are the best tournament armies while Ogres are one of the worst tournament armies.

This is bang on target...

IF the deamon player is not very competent and haven't made a totally cheesed out list and IF you are a good general and have a good OK list then MAYBE you will win a few games, but probably lose/ draw more than win.

Sorry, but that is the reality of the situation.

ivrg
17-08-2009, 12:36
Maybe you should post the list you are using so you can get som advice on what to change on that list.

Tweakout
17-08-2009, 14:31
Thanks for all of the replies. Yeah I figured that daemons are just something ogres wont be able to handle if the opponent is running straight cheese. I normally run:
Tyrant (Mawseeker, Jade Lion, Siegebreaker, Wyrdstone Necklace, Luck Gnoblar, Heavy Armor, Sword Gnoblar)

Butcher (Halfling Cookbook, Fistful of Laurels)

Butcher (Hellheart)

4 Bulls (Bellower)

4 Bulls (Bellower)

4 Bulls (Bellower)

4 Ironguts (Bellower, Standard Beaer)

4 Ironguts (Bellower, Standard Beaer)

4 Maneaters (Heavy Armor, Great Weapons)

Gorger

Anything I can do with this list to modify it in order to help against the not complete cheese daemon lists out there.

selone
17-08-2009, 22:00
Your list seems alright at first glance, you must realise it's an uphill struggle. Do you find maneaters effective as an unit of 4?

Tweakout
18-08-2009, 02:23
Yeah my four maneaters are really quite effective, especially since I run the tyrant with them. 16 Str 7 attack added onto the tyrant is all around devastating.

Mercules
18-08-2009, 14:26
I prefer Maneaters with Brace of Handguns, they are about the only reliable shooting Ogre Kingdoms has. Gnoblars are great, but S2 and only 8" range is not all that "reliable". I also find 5 S5 attacks works better for me than 4 S7 most of the time, especially if I get charged and can Stand and Shoot first to pick off a rank or a couple attacks from them.

Midevil216
18-08-2009, 14:46
Here is your advice ........... Wait for the Ogre book to come out. :)

Deamons are crazy atm.

Mercules
18-08-2009, 15:40
I've beaten Daemons with Ogres... I'll admit it was an inexperienced(well, less than myself) general but he did have a fairly solid "netdeck" army. I am not a brilliant general by any means.

Stimpson J Cat
18-08-2009, 21:00
I don't have much tournament experience, but considering how you consistently experience heavy defeat vs daemons, I'd go for the gambler's army: For instance: couple of scraplaunchers (killing blow), Tyrant with Thundermace, Slavegiant etc. Sure, there's a chance this will collapse in a horrible way, but I think this will at least give you a chance if the dice roll well. Any ideas on this?

narrativium
18-08-2009, 21:02
Your best weapon is to know what the Daemon army can and can't do. Example: a unit of Horrors can march and cast Flickering Fire - so in one turn they can hit something 26" away. So minimise first-turn casualties by deploying a few inches back from the line. You're likely to have fewer dispel dice than you'd like, so work out what you should stop (Phantasmagoria) and what you can endure (Flickering Fire).

Ogres aren't a brute army. Getting the best from them means a lot of finesse, particularly in the movement phase. Keeping your distance from plaguebearers until you can hit them hard, watching for Siren Song... there's a lot to potentially keep track of.

kardar233
19-08-2009, 06:35
I've beaten Daemons with Ogres... I'll admit it was an inexperienced(well, less than myself) general but he did have a fairly solid "netdeck" army. I am not a brilliant general by any means.

If you managed to beat even a less-experienced Daemons general using a NetList with Ogres, I don't think you're doing yourself enough credit.

Hat's off to you!