PDA

View Full Version : FW and sculpting

rabblerouser
17-08-2009, 03:28
I was wondering, what does forge world use when they sculpt their large models like titans and such? Is it still kneadatite or something else?

Lord Humongous
17-08-2009, 04:35
They could use anything and everything; the molds they pull stuff from allow any material in the model. Chances are they shape large parts from wood or some sort of carvable model making material (common to industrial design models) and some smaller parts from plastic card / rod, metal bits, etc- just like any scratch building model maker. They might use a two part epoxy clay like aepoxie sculp (http://www.epoxysculpt.com/) or magic sculp (http://www.magicsculp.com/) for large parts as well. I've used magic sculp, and its a lot more "clay like" than "green stuff", which was designed as a glue. That means when its hard you can sand it, file it, drill into it, etc much easier, and before then you can even use water to disolve the surface a bit and smooth it out.

Grimbad
17-08-2009, 06:35
One of the sculptors has a forum, he sculpts vehicles from (if I recall) a kind of very dense foam.

Absolutionis
17-08-2009, 06:45
One of the sculptors has a forum, he sculpts vehicles from (if I recall) a kind of very dense foam.Really now?
Would you happen to have a link and/or name of this sculptor?

Grimbad
17-08-2009, 07:29
No, sadly I've lost the link. Not even sure the forum would still be up, seeing as so few ever heard about it. Its purpose was so that fans of Forgeworld could ask questions like that. I want to say it was Darren Parrwood, but my google is weak and I am tired, so I'm probably wrong on that.

marv335
17-08-2009, 12:13
I've seen the sculptors using plasticene and freeze spray for some fine detail stuff.

grissom2006
17-08-2009, 13:03
Simon Egan has a habit of using Super Sculpey as i recall one of the other sculptors can't understand why when it the slightest slip and it gets ruined if it hasn't been cured.

rabblerouser
18-08-2009, 01:16
So we don't really know...

aim
18-08-2009, 01:31
So we don't really know...

That nearly made me choke on my drink, awesome lol. I think thats as close as you will get to comedy timing on a forum :P

Lord Humongous
18-08-2009, 01:33
Point is, it doesn't really matter. They can (and apparently do) use whatever works best for them; the mold doesn't care, as long as the surface texture isn't to funky.
In official art catalogs, the materials in a piece are often called "mixed media" which basically means " whatever they had laying around that worked". Same idea here.

rabblerouser
18-08-2009, 03:06
Point is, it doesn't really matter.

It matters to me, thats why I asked. I am working on a pre-heresy dread I intend to cast and would like to know what material I should be making it out of. Super sculpty firm seems to be a good choice for the basic shape of the chassis with green stuff for the details, but I am wondering if there are other options out there.

Lord Humongous
18-08-2009, 03:31
What I meant by "it doesn't matter" is that there's no material such models "should" be made from. Almost any material that you can shape the way you like and give the finish you need is equally valid. Then again, I see from your log you do some pretty good casting already, so your probably know that you can pull a RTV silicone mold from almost anything. If you are just wondering what material is structurally strong enough... greenstuff is probably to flexible on larger scales, without an armature or other underlaying support. Another good reason to use sculpy. Those epoxy clays I mentioned are also fairly droopy before hardening, but really strong after.
Super sculpy does seem a good bet, but don't be worried about using "unconventional" materials.

rabblerouser
18-08-2009, 13:17
I guess what I really want to know is what do they use to produce a part like the shoulder part of the mk IV dread arm. The difficulty here is that the curvature is easier to make with some kind of putty rather than card, but at the same time it can't be organic and needs to have hard edges.

EVIL INC
18-08-2009, 13:51
Isnt it possible to file or hard carve the hard stuff after it dries to clean up any "curves" that you dont want?

Verm1s
18-08-2009, 13:54
green stuff for the details

Oh heck no, unless you mix it with... well, anything else. IMO greenstuff is the only one of the commonly-used putties which isn't good for sharp, mechanical details. It's not impossible, but it's a lot more difficult than with others.

I don't have a clue what FW sculptors use (I once saw a half-finished hive tyrant in grey at a GD, which might've been SSF, but it wasn't mechanical anyway) so I can't help you there. I haven't used SSF so I can't comment on that either; I think you'd know more than I do.
If you're looking for 'other options' I can suggest a couple of things. Lord Humongous sang the praises of magic sculp and I'll do the same for apoxie sculpt. Couple of grades of sandpaper/went 'n' dry paper and you're laughing. Milliput Superfine White is a little firmer and probably has the edge for sculpting and sanding smooth surfaces, but is messier and has more of a health warning. Try mixing GS with any of those for sharp detail.

Where'd I put my notes on this stuff...?

Oh, and, have you tried emailing anyone at FW?

AndrewGPaul
18-08-2009, 15:21
Rackham's sculptors used FIMO modelling clay, and sculpted the details out rather than adding them on.

Looking at that dreadnought arm, I'd say either a hard-curing putty (brown stuff? I've heard of that being used for weapons and the like) or out of plastic card with gaps filled with putty and sanded smooth.

GraveGuard
18-08-2009, 15:30
I believe it varies, I do a bit of sculpting (large and small scale) and you will mix and match the materials depending on what the object or even part of the object is.

Vehicles you would build/sculpt out of various things usign foam and wood for the basic shape then adding parts like plastic sheet, bits of dowl, milliput, greenstuff etc for things like cuvres, flat thing surfaces etc.
GW also use parts of existing models for example if making a vehicle which has weapons that already exisit on another model you would just get hold of that "spure"/piece and attach that.

Figures though very, you would start with an armature, use Geen Stuff for cloth/material/robes/hair/hands etc use brownstuff for hardlines like armour and plasticard for things like weapons, sheilds accessories.

Idaan
18-08-2009, 15:41
There was once a WIP 40k Manta picture, and the majority of the shapes were cut from some kind of wood.

Jagged
18-08-2009, 16:48
If you look at the wip pictures in the rumor threads you can see they xommonly use a picture of brown stuff, green stuff and plastic. I've not used brown stuff myself but I understand its better for smooth flat surfaces.