-Mok
-Full Command

5x Knights of Chaos
-Rapturous Standard
-Full Command

Rare
Dragon Ogre Shaggoth
-Great weapon

Took this against a HE player and ate him alive. Wanted to get some opinions on what would improve the list.

Things I've considered:
Dropping the 18 warriors to just 12, or just dropping them (both units) outright (I like warriors a lot but they didn't even get to the fighting)

Dropping MoK on the horsemen. They evaporate when they touch something so I'm unsure of the real value of combat upgrades for them.

Your thoughts?

The Red Scourge
17-08-2009, 12:37
I never leave home without my Jugger BSB, he rarely disappoints. Compare him to your exalted champion. My favorite version is to equip him with a warbanner a shield and a flail and dump in a pack of dogs for the first rounds :)

mr_vespa
17-08-2009, 16:38
Might I ask, what was the HE player fielding? I'm guessing poor magic to be squelched by a caddy and 3 DD. And nothing that could handle Knights? o.O

Anywho, truth be told, solid list. Here's my two cents:
- Drop MoK on the Marauder Horsemen and invest in throwing axes. March blocking while chucking S4 axes can be a real pain in the neck (if you consider Elves, they'll hate you for it, litterally! haha). Naked or MoS works best on them, MoN if you're going towards a fluffy army (I'd advise against it for points). Oh, and most importantly: MUSICIANS. Fast Cavalry should always field musicians.
- MoK Exalted on Jugger with a BSB is an interesting option, especially if you intend on running some MoK Knights. Tooled for giving pain or taking it, he can be a very effective and versatile hero. Slap a Warbanner on the MoK Knight Standard Bearer and watch them steamroll whatever them crash into. Watch out for the Frenzy though, smart players can lead a frenzied unit astray with flyers/fast cav.
- MoN + Banner of Rage on Chaos Knights is pure abuse. You're litterally giving them MoK and MoN at the same time: added protection against shooting and CC, and frenzy. Unfluffy? I tend to believe so. Effective? Most definitely.
- If you drop your Warriors to 12 men, give them MoK, GW, Shields and Musician. No sense giving them a banner and a champion, they'll be claiming their combat resolution through sheer attrition. The banners become gambles on small units, for should they break in CC (it happens... T-T), you're giving up 100 VPs right then and there. Something to consider. Also, if you want to tool them to extreme versatility, consider adding extra hand weapons if you can spare the points.
- A Shaggoth... The pure awesomeness of its sculpt hardly reflects its combat ability (compared to the pts ratio). Consider a unit of GW-armed Dragon Ogres for greater effect (if you can bear the ugly models, or convert your own with Ironguts), or a Giant. Although a Shaggoth is by all means *not* bad, compared to other large beasties, I find our storm-raging friend at a loss.
- Are you running your lone caddy in a bunker unit, or making him footslog? Consider giving him MoT and a Disk for added safety. You might even get a Flickering Fire off once in awhile :D! This is pure suggestion though, as it's a more costly option to what you're fielding now. And he's just a caddy. Your call.

Perigrine
18-08-2009, 01:20
id suggest a giant over shaggoth simply to get the most out of the shaggoth youll need to invest more points into him which raises his already steep base cost. Also you can have a ton of laughs by giving the giant MoS nothing is funnier then seeing the look on your opponents face.

Dogres are great but as mentioned expensive and ugly

on a side note what would you use along with the iron guts to convent Dragon Ogres?

boardbox
18-08-2009, 03:50
My group tends to play with a tolerable amount of magic, so we can usually get away with just a scroll caddy. The DE player gets a little dangerous but I figure I'm not beating that magic anyway.

The high elf player had a pretty standard take all comers list but I think he modded it expecting me to invest more into characters but I've lost enough games with character heavy WoC lists to know a bit better. (I hate bolt throwers btw)

I've never considered the throwing axes but that's something I'll have to try.

Going to try the Juggernaut Exalted, I like my demon mounts and now I have an excuse :D

I take the shaggoth for his seeming magnetic attraction for nasty missiles. However looking at my book, it seems giants are just as resilient and with MoS have the same cost, that's worth trying if only for the amusement of having a giant on field.

I like to hide my caddy in some far off place of the field where he's "unlikely" to come to harm. I would bunker him if I expected a trick of some form (in the warriors), but I really only count on him having a limited useful lifespan.

(list edit coming later)

mr_vespa
19-08-2009, 22:56
on a side note what would you use along with the iron guts to convent Dragon Ogres?

Simple really. Take Ironguts (GW-wielding) or Bulls (2x HW) for the body base (e.g. cut off the base of the gut) and use Lizardmen Cold Ones for their dragon-ish legs. It gives fairly good results, google 'Dragon Ogre conversions' for pictures!