PDA

View Full Version : First Time WHFB - 1000 Pts Warriors of Chaos

Ork
17-08-2009, 06:37
So I've never had a fantasy army, but I know the rules and have the book. I'm going to be building a WoC after my CSM, so here's my first try:

HERO
Chaos Sorcerer, Level 2, Mark of Nurgle, Book of Secrets, Power Familiar
190 pts

CORE
12 Chaos Warriors , Shields, Halbreds, Musc + SB, Mark of Slaanesh
232 pts

18 Chaos Marauders , Mark of Khorne, Great Weapons, Full Command
140 pts

7 Marauder Horsemen, Mark of Khorne, Light Armor, Full Command, Flails
172 pts

SPECIAL
5 Chaos Knights, Full Command, Mark of Slaanesh
260 pts

I would put the sorcerer with the chaos warriors, is that allowed due to different marks?

Killboss
17-08-2009, 07:01
Yeah, you can put the Sorcerer in with the chaos warriors, and this list looks quite good. Although (this is just personal preferance) i wouldn't give the WoC Mark of Slaanesh, seeing as they already re-roll panic tests and have an impressive LD value. They're also not that easy to kill. Same with the Chaos Knights, they can re roll panic and cause fear (IIRC, that also means they're immune to it.)

Good first time list. Hopethat helps.

Ximinez
18-08-2009, 09:17
I don't have my book with me, so I can't give as precise advice as I'd like, but here goes:

I think this looks really good for a first list, you have all your bases covered (magic, light and heavy cav, etc.), but I think you have some points that could be better invested. First of all, the Marauder Horsemen has a few unneeded extravagances- such as 2 extra members, a standard, and a champ. Also, your marauder foot unit probably doesn't need to be that big, nor have any command options besides a musician, and to continue the trend of dropping command components, the knight champ is essentially an expensive extra attack (no character to protect in there). However, a champ in warriors would really help out since he can challenge over the mage (remember that all Chaos characters have to either issue or receive challenges), which, since he isn't built for fighting, can really help.

What I would do is add a champ to the warriors, make the marauders 12 strong with the only command being a musician, drop the extra command pieces and members off the horsemen, drop the knight champ, and switch the marks on the horsemen and the knights. With the extra points, I would A) put the mage on a barded steed for a sweet 2+ save, attacks from the mount, and the option to charge out of the unit and B) Either beef up the warriors and/or knights, or grab another small block of marauders so the warriors can have both their flanks covered.

I hope any of that helps you out, and, of course, I'm glad to hear of another devotee of Chaos.:cool:

Killboss
19-08-2009, 08:09
well, the only critisism on your critisism i would add are: Why musition above Standard bearers? The permanent +1 CR is IMO better. I'd also disagree with your comment on the Marauders, for a game this small, they are kinda big, but in general, i find units of 20 are best, with MoS if you can (shields and light armour if i think they'll need it.)
These are great (as they cost next to nothing) are immune to fear, panic and terror. I use there guys to stop my warriors being mauled by shooting, and if the enemy has no shooting? Well, what do you think the staying power of 20, fear, panic, and terror ignoring Marauders will do? Tie up or (if you're lucky) destroy. +3 CR from ranks, +1 from Standard... i like those odds. At the lest they stall a unit, set up a flank charge OR if you are lucky, kill the unit.

Ximinez
19-08-2009, 10:31
I am glad that you asked!

I say drop down to the musician instead of the standard because it is A) Cheaper, B) Doesn't give out 100VP if you whiff on a combat and break, and C) Actually helps you recover from the aforementioned whiff. In more specific terms, I think the standard is unneeded on either of the marauder units (both footslogging and mounted) because they are kitted out to swoop in and do a lot of kills. If you hit something with them that requires the +1 CR from the banner, you probably didn't combo charge with the other unit of that kind (warriors or knights) that is carrying a banner, or you probably should have used a different unit.

If one wants staying power out of marauders, they should have a defensive mark, and light armor and shields (as you mentioned), which that particular unit had none of. I surmised that they were being used to chop up soft targets and protect the warriors' flank, which a smaller, more expendable unit (or even better: two!) does admirably and more cheaply.

I thank you for giving me the opportunity to explain my thought process more fully, though I apologize if it is structured poorly- I'm nearly falling over from lack of sleep.

Death Korp
19-08-2009, 21:32
You could use Festus instead of the Sorcerer, as if he joins the Warriors he gives regeneration to them, and poisioned attacks. Great Character, and makes the unit nigh unkillable in 1000pts. This is what I would make instead:

*Festus: 185pts

*15 Chaos Warriors: 335pts
-Full Command
-MoS
-Shields
-Halberds
-Blasted Standard

*5 Marauder Horsemen
-MoS
-Flails
-Musician
-Light Armour

*5 Chaos Hounds: 30pts

*5 Chaos Knights: 295pts
-Standard, Musician
-MoN
-Banner of Rage

*Chaos Spawn: 55pts

996pts

I'll split up the units to tell you what they do:

*Festus will go in the Warriors. With him, this unit is HARD. They are 3+ Armour save with a 5+ Ward Save against shooting, AND then a 5+ Regeneration save. Not much in 1000pts can deal with that. In combat, they can give S5 poisioned attacks back and if Festus gets challenged, then the Champ can step up in his place to stop him from dying.

Festus can also cast Curse of the Leper and can really hurt a unit before his unit chops them to bits. :D You don't need to worry about Magic as much in this points level, as not even Vamps or other Magic Heavy armies can afford that much if they also want an army.

*The Marauder Horsemen I have listed are a nice, cheapy unit that can cause massive damage with the flails. MoS is better in small points games, as MOK is expensive, and stops the unit from getting redirected.

*Chaos Hounds: THE compulsory unit in every Chaos army. They are there to provide a shield for the knights, and stop them from chasing other units you don't want them to charge. You'll need a unit of these.

*The Chaos Knights I have chosen are HARD. When they hit, they hit like a freight train into a a person at 100mph. ;) Once they are in combat, not alot will hurt them in 1000pts. What else can I say?

*A chaos spawn will be good to keep your flanks safe from skirmishers, or charge them towards a unit you want to tie up for a bit whilst the rest of your army kills the oppoments army.

The army I have shown is a little more forgivable if you make mistakes as most of the units are hard enough to withstand most things in 1000pts.

Hope that helps!

DK

lcfr
20-08-2009, 05:26
HERO
190 pts

One sorceror at 1k will not achieve very much, even w/6PD. I would opt for a disc-riding Exalted Champion w/bloodcurdling roar instead; the reason for this is greater manueverability and the ability to take out warmachines and missile troops that your small army is vulnerable to

172 pts

You shouldn't have a standard bearer on this unit imo; they'll work as decent shock troops but they're still very fragile. Personally, I think an unfrenzied unit of 5 w/musician and flails would work better; you can still add some punch but now you can actually bait and redirect opponents.

SPECIAL
260 pts

These guys represent the only unit in your list that really deserves to have the Mark of Khorne. Also, not sure if having a champ is worthwhile.

Jind_Singh
20-08-2009, 06:29
HERO
190 pts

One sorceror at 1k will not achieve very much, even w/6PD. I would opt for a disc-riding Exalted Champion w/bloodcurdling roar instead; the reason for this is greater manueverability and the ability to take out warmachines and missile troops that your small army is vulnerable to
I agree, I quite like the options stated above, the only downside is going into battle naked - no magic! And dont forget a chaos sorceror is as good as most army hero choices.
172 pts

You shouldn't have a standard bearer on this unit imo; they'll work as decent shock troops but they're still very fragile. Personally, I think an unfrenzied unit of 5 w/musician and flails would work better; you can still add some punch but now you can actually bait and redirect opponents.
please drop the standard and champion! This unit was raised for 1 reason, and 1 reason alone....to die in the service of the dark gods! Marauders of any sort are shields, bait to keep the warriors alive. Please dont give them the command I mentioned! Keep musician though. Since they are fast cav the best combo is to actually give them throwing axes, this way they gallop forwards, throw their axes (dont forget those damn fanatics will be shot on a 5+, and then die on a 4+!!!) Drop the mark - the only mark worth giving on them is mark of slaanesh!! You NEVER want to charge them unless you are ready for it. The enemy ideally is to be baited by your units, they shouldnt have chance to bait you!!
SPECIAL
260 pts

These guys represent the only unit in your list that really deserves to have the Mark of Khorne. Also, not sure if having a champ is worthwhile.

champ is fine, he will act as sheild for any characters who join unit but NEVER standard!!! Trust me, knights marked with khorne kill so many models the standard does NOTHING!! All it does is cost you lots of points, just incase a unit does beat them in combat (WHICH can happen latter in games as their numbers reduce via attrition) you just lost 100 VP

And why save all these points? to allow you to buy units of warhounds, the ultimate unit in the entire game to act as meat shields! And you will love these to death, 100%

Killboss
20-08-2009, 08:07
I am glad that you asked!

I say drop down to the musician instead of the standard because it is A) Cheaper, B) Doesn't give out 100VP if you whiff on a combat and break, and C) Actually helps you recover from the aforementioned whiff. In more specific terms, I think the standard is unneeded on either of the marauder units (both footslogging and mounted) because they are kitted out to swoop in and do a lot of kills. If you hit something with them that requires the +1 CR from the banner, you probably didn't combo charge with the other unit of that kind (warriors or knights) that is carrying a banner, or you probably should have used a different unit.

If one wants staying power out of marauders, they should have a defensive mark, and light armor and shields (as you mentioned), which that particular unit had none of. I surmised that they were being used to chop up soft targets and protect the warriors' flank, which a smaller, more expendable unit (or even better: two!) does admirably and more cheaply.

I thank you for giving me the opportunity to explain my thought process more fully, though I apologize if it is structured poorly- I'm nearly falling over from lack of sleep.

Well, i'm awe-struck, very nice summary.

PS: The structure looks fine to me ;)