PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Homegrown Army

Brother Alexos
17-08-2009, 07:12
I thought that opening a thread about this will help with some of the problems that alot of people face with homegrown Chapters, Warbands, Hives, Gangs, Etc. and I thought that this could help alot of beginners with their problems. I would like for people to post their problems and for more Veteran gamers to help them out. Here are some obvious problems I found and some solutions.

Fluff
I found that making my semi-homegrown chapter of space marines, the Crimson Paladins, I needed to explain why they weren't around until now. To solve this, I looked at the other codex chapters to find inspiration. My inspiration was found in the Brazen Claws, and that because of the destruction of their homeworld led to them going into The Eye of Terror; I used this to create two chapters, The Crimson Paladins wearing Red power armor and the Brazen Knights wearing Blue power armor.

The solution I used is to take an existing Chapter that was destroyed, and made two chapters out of it.
The same can be said about Orks; In example, the Ork WAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHH!! Facesmasha and WAAAAAAAAAGGGHH!! Dethdeela are both broken, find each other, and create WAAAAAAAGGGH!! Dethsmasha.

I will update as I see fit to adress other problems.

Nakor
17-08-2009, 10:43
the Ork WAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHH!! Facesmasha and WAAAAAAAAAGGGHH!! Dethdeela are both broken, find each other, and create WAAAAAAAGGGH!! Dethsmasha.

I will update as I see fit to adress other problems.

personally i would have chosen WAHHGH! Facedeela.

first question for you:

is it legitimate for a rogue trader to be floating around in a modern 40k cruiser class ship? if not then what kind of ship? would imperial/alien hybrids be tolerated? im thinking more along the lines of the appearacne of a regular imperial ship but with more advanced internal systems gathered from here and there i.e. not caring if its alien tech, just caring how well it works. id prefer a lower crew count 1 or 2 thousand which would be justified by the advanced tech.

for a bit of background: sucessful, xenos/psyker tolerant, mercenary, generally deals with chaos and orks

he has a complement of
~200 SM +~20 SM vehicles + dreads (my renegade-ish chapter),

plus

~1200 IG equivalents + 100+ IG vehicles inc 3 superheavys (my IG merc army) these guys also act as the ships internal security and police force. plenty of feral auxiliary units in here too - barbarians favoring big twohanded melee weapons, raptor riders (think dark elf cold one knights), ogryns, feral psykers (counts as ratlings using bows charged with mind juice powers:eek:)

plus

15 battlesuits, 12 stealth suits, 48 firewarriors and 4 devilfish, (my Tau merc army)

Brother Alexos
17-08-2009, 17:44
Okay, to answer your question is that yes, rogue traders CAN get a hold of cruisers and that they probably use xenos tech. In i think the Let the Galaxy Burn book, it talks about a Hivegang that buys stolen Eldar shuriken catapults and the such, so having alien technology from say the Tau, Eldar, or even some of the lesser talked about creatures such as the Hrud. Also, I would have to say that your superheavies are a little over the line, but only for the fact that the Mechanicus would probably send out small armies to recover them, to go around this, you should use the fluff from the Ultramarines book The Killing Ground where a Guard regiment that was retired had conquered a world and still had three Leviathan class control centers that were used as a medicae due to lack of Enginseers. Also, even though they fight Orks doesn't mean that they couldn't have Orks on board, as many of the smaller clans of Orks tend to sell out as Mercenaries and will gladly fight their kinsmen. I have one problem with the Tau force that you're using because it uses alot of units that wouldn't normally be sold off as mercenaries, but is still conventional considering that the Tau could be used to find more planets to conquer for the Greater Good.

Other than that, you should probably put all of these mercenaries in different ships because 1) usually good Mercs have their own ships and 2) they would all probably start fighting each other if they spent too long in a cramped ship together for more than a week.

I hope that this helps your army grow into a functioning Rogue Trader Army, and that you can post some pics, it sounds cool.

wavynavy
18-08-2009, 00:22
i di my imperial guard army up as old glory 25mm british victorian highlanders with bits i got here and there.my regular infantry squads & comand squads are in the red colonial uniforms and my veteran squads are early war ww1 highlanders in glengarries or are victorian era british sailors in straw hats.the stormtroopers are late war highlanders in helmets.my rough riders are napoleonic royal scots greys with hunting lances and plasma guns.my psyker battle squad is the pipers in khaki.i even made up a master of ordenence.though i had to use the regular GW techpriest and commisars and a commisar yarrik.i also use the GW vehicles my chimeras,hellhounds,& leman russ are done in british army of the rine black and green with names on them.on one chimera i pained eyes and on the dozer blade i have teeth and the word OUCH TIME with a chaos space marine head just belo and in between both eyes.on one of the leman russ i have a carnifax head just behind the commander.so far i have fought the nids 2 times the 1st i was sloughterd,the 2nd was fighting the chaos space marines & lost on objectives,3rd was the same but a different player,4th was also chaos sm but was a draw,the 4th was regular space marines and i won,the next i was defeated by space marines but it took 6 turns,next was the battle of " Orks drift "this time it was a victory.so that is the battle fluff of B company 1st bn 79th victorian guards (cameron hgihlanders)

Grand Master Raziel
18-08-2009, 07:28
Fluff
I found that making my semi-homegrown chapter of space marines, the Crimson Paladins, I needed to explain why they weren't around until now.

So, who's to say your chapter wasn't around? Depending on where they get their geneseed from, your chapter could trace its lineage all the way back to the Second Founding. Their not being in any of the official GW canon doesn't mean a thing. Even official fluff states that the Imperium can barely keep track of what's going on in the present day, much less events that happened thousands of years ago.

is it legitimate for a rogue trader to be floating around in a modern 40k cruiser class ship?

Sure.

if not then what kind of ship? would imperial/alien hybrids be tolerated? im thinking more along the lines of the appearacne of a regular imperial ship but with more advanced internal systems gathered from here and there i.e. not caring if its alien tech, just caring how well it works. id prefer a lower crew count 1 or 2 thousand which would be justified by the advanced tech.

Screwing with alien tech probably would not be tolerated anywhere within the Imperium, but you might be able to say that your Rogue Trader stays around the fringes of the Imperium. On the other hand, you could state instead that your RT's ship significantly pre-dates current Imperial designs and harkens back to the Dark Age of Technology. That, at least, would be human tech. The Adeptus Mechanicus may drool all over themselves at the prospect of getting their hands on it, but at least your RT wouldn't be considered a heretic.

for a bit of background: sucessful, xenos/psyker tolerant, mercenary, generally deals with chaos and orks

By "deals with", do you mean "accepts employment from" or "fights against"? Anyhow, being xenos-tolerant is problematic, especially with a Space Marine compliment onboard. There's a dang good reason the Imperium is so anti-alien - because every single major alien race that Man has ever encountered have either been barbaric savages (Orks) or vicious racists (Eldar). The Tau may come off like goody two-shoes at first glance, but any even half-sophisticated Imperial can see through their "Greater Good" rhetoric in a heartbeat. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the Tau Empire uses its non-Tau as expendable shock troops. Space Marines in particular are conditioned to hate aliens. Even Chaos Marines hate aliens. So, Marines and Tau making nice-nice is highly improbable. Regular human mercenaries and Tau mercenaries, sure, but a SM chapter (or even part of one) would be far more likely to fall to Chaos than to willingly suffer aliens to live in their presence.

Other than that, you should probably put all of these mercenaries in different ships because 1) usually good Mercs have their own ships and 2) they would all probably start fighting each other if they spent too long in a cramped ship together for more than a week.

Space on a ship the size of an Imperial cruiser is not a problem. Those ships are *******' enormous. Tau and Space Marines coexisting on the same ship is a problem, but that has nothing to do with the space issue.