PDA

View Full Version : UKGT missions tactics

oCoYoRoAoKo
17-08-2009, 10:56
Hey All,

so GT time has rolled around once more but this time i dont think that the general top-tier armylists will be able to dominate as much as in previous years. The reason for this is the inclusion of new missions in this years tourney. In short they are promoting less reliance on large monsters/powerful characters.

I propose we discuss the tactics involved in the missions as well as collate your thoughts for how they can effect individual armies.

the Tourney Pack can be found here:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m240027a_Throne_of_Skulls_-_Warhammer_Pack.pdf

Cy.

Atrahasis
17-08-2009, 12:14
They make very little difference - the "top-tier" armies as you put it will still wipe anything non-equivalent off the board, and 400vps makes no difference in that circumstance even if you can keep something alive to complete the objective.

Where it will make a difference is in the close games between equally matched armies where one player manages to pull it off and the other doesn't.

oCoYoRoAoKo
17-08-2009, 13:27
i only somewhat agree with you there. it is true that for the battle for the pass, fog or war and pitched battle scenario, there is little difference as VPs are calculated as normal. Even Dawn attack may be ok given that rolls for unit placement are solid (though you could easily for example roll all of your units into a corner for a slow army, or have units stranded on the other side of the table.

However, In the breakthrough mission, where single models, characters and monsters dont count towards the total amount of points in your opponents deployment zone, and similarly for Trial of Battle where they cant capture table quarters, problems may arise. Wiping out a canny opponent completely isnt easy, and when your 600pt+ GD or 400pt+ stegadons doesnt count his points for capturing and cant even get table quarters, that is a big chunk of points at the end of the game unavailiable.

Cy.

Witchblade
17-08-2009, 14:45
I'm not convinced it will make a difference. I am convinced gunlines are proper fooked by these rules, which is good considering I hate gunlines. On the other hand, gunlines tend to balance out the usage of big nasties, like Thirsters and Star Dragons.

I think the standard Daemon build with flamers, hounds, a thirster and some horrors will thrive as normal.

kais_fateweaver
17-08-2009, 16:10
Hi

Have played a couple of games with new missions

I use daemons
against empire and dwarves

in a competitive game 400-800 margins are huge
and caused victories to become draws both times

once because i just didnt have enough scoring units 5+ non monster non flyers (so my furies dont count) to complete

the other because i worked out too late summoned nurglings are special choices so shouldn't be rear charging greatswords

anyway aside from people wetting themselves about bloodthirsters when they should be far more scared of Great unclean ones what have we learned

1. GT players should prepare themselves for the new missions before dismissing them as irrelevent

2. the missions are going to affect the small choices in the game

3. two games do not prove anything so more feedback would be appreciated

Ben