PDA

View Full Version : orc heroes mounts or chariot

ivrg
17-08-2009, 11:03
I have been thinking of trying to put my great shaman on a wyvern. The main reason is the get a flying terror causer and something that is moving fast and can hit war machines and skirmishers. Planning to equip him with the horn ugrok. I also hav a giant in my army so when not facing ItP armies then my terror causers will be more effective. Any views on this?

Next thing is either a savage warboss or savage big boss in a chariot.
Optimal gear for this? The nice thing is that the chariot waagh, giving it 1D6 + 14 inches charge. And ofc giving the crew and steeds frenzy. If you add in an extra crewmember, you get 2 S4 attacks for 3 points. Last game i had, the chariot was torn to pieces by a tseentchis magic missile and then the big boss just walked into a nearby unit. I guess the best way of using him is as support for infantery. So his ld can be used.

DA_WarM
17-08-2009, 13:49
You have more than one option.

My favorite one is a black orc warboss in a unit of 20 black orcs. Add a battle standard bearer with a warbanner and this unit will pack a punch and have a +3 resolution before combat.

An orc hero on a boar is also quite effective for support. Since you want your boar boys in combat, I suggest putting a big boss here. You can flank with this one for increased effectiveness.

For the wyvern mount, I usually chose a black orc warboss in 3000 points games since you need a general near your troops (for his Ld). Boost his strength and you can target large monsters with him too.

I personally don't use chariots for my characters because being alone is not a good idea.

The orc shaman is probably best on foot with a unit of boys. He will be hard to remove from the board but subject to animosity.

rtunian
17-08-2009, 14:36
You have more than one option.

My favorite one is a black orc warboss in a unit of 20 black orcs. Add a battle standard bearer with a warbanner and this unit will pack a punch and have a +3 resolution before combat.

An orc hero on a boar is also quite effective for support. Since you want your boar boys in combat, I suggest putting a big boss here. You can flank with this one for increased effectiveness.

For the wyvern mount, I usually chose a black orc warboss in 3000 points games since you need a general near your troops (for his Ld). Boost his strength and you can target large monsters with him too.

I personally don't use chariots for my characters because being alone is not a good idea.

The orc shaman is probably best on foot with a unit of boys. He will be hard to remove from the board but subject to animosity.

some bad advice in this post, imo...

a big blorc block with a blorc warboss? this is horrible advice. not only are big blorc blocks very inefficient, but putting a blorc boss in the unit wastes the blorc's most useful rule: quell animosity. yes you can do it if you love blorcs, or if you love fluffy armies, but it is not a good use of points by any stretch of the imagination.

orc shaman is best on a boar. 16 points is a pittance for +2 armor save and an extra attack.

in answer to the OP, wyvern boss with a giant is a good pair. insofar as mounting a great shaman on there, it works alright. if you are thinking about using it just for warmachine hunting, you should think about how many points you are spending for this... 500 points for taking out 50-100 points? also, when you are closing in on their war machines, what do you think they will be firing at? you are risking your 500 point squishy lord for what? use fast cav and squig hoppers to war machine hunt.

about the chariots...
you cannot make any upgrades to character chariots. see o&g faq which explicitly says you cannot add extra crew or steeds to character mounts.

regarding optimal gear, for warboss i really get alot out of ironclaw's waaagh! cleava. a savage warboss will have 5 ws 6 attacks that auto-wound with no armor save, which makes this chariot able to take out anything. it has poor d, though, so you need to use it wisely.

a big boss is considerably more limited, but when i take 2 big bosses on chariots, i give one the best basha and effigy of gork, and the other the akrit axe and enchanted shield. this way both get some bonus to offense and some bonus to defense.

ivrg
18-08-2009, 06:54
I was thinking of giving the shammmy horn of ugrok and 5+ ward. Ofc he will not just go hunting warmachines but also try to hunt smaller units of fast cav or skirmishers. But its not 500 pts for just that. There is a lvl 4 shammy on that wyverns that is casting spells as well. And i guess in most cases he will be in range for those nice suporting spellls that do not require line of sight.

Deglosh
18-08-2009, 07:55
well what do you do if the opponent manages to whipe that squishy lvl4 shammy of that wyverns back? i think thats what he means.
By putting him in the rear of an enemy its easy to kill that shammy off with the right units, like magics, any ranged really.

ivrg
20-08-2009, 07:09
Not that easy. Regular shotting that is S3-4 will not only wound on 5+, both on the shaman and the wyvern. A real danger is a flying vampire with great weapon. Although its not certain he will win that struggle. Another danger is cannons or bolt throwers, something all armies dont have. And even if they do have it. Its not certain they will take either the shammy or wyvern down before he gets too them or is involved in a fight somewhere else. But ofc 500 points on flyers means risks. I will try it out and see. TY for advice.