PDA

View Full Version : chaos dread Q's

arch_inquisitor
17-08-2009, 12:33
I'm doing a conversion for a friend of mine he wants me to make a chaos dread out of his AoBR SM dread, this is not the problem. The problem is I don't have the chaos codex and have no idea what weapon options chaos dreads can have. He wants to keep the DCCW and doesn't care what the other one is so all I need to know is what shooty weapons they can have and maybe the best one to take.

Any help would be appreciated.

Vaktathi
17-08-2009, 12:44
everything that loyalists can except the right arm Twin Linked Heavy Flamer and the Assault Cannon.

Shatter
17-08-2009, 15:38
If you're looking for something different, you can also always get Forgeworld weaponry, if he's Legion specific, or try converting it from scratch, but Vaktathi is right.

Also, be sure that he's aware of Fire Frenzy and the Rage results, they can make a huge difference as to what you outfit it with/how he positions the 'naught on the table.

Dreachon
17-08-2009, 16:02
The AoBR dred is just fine, the combo of DCCW and multimelta is legal by the chaos codex.

Shatter
17-08-2009, 17:07
The AoBR dred is just fine, the combo of DCCW and multimelta is legal by the chaos codex.

He's not just looking for what's legal, he's looking for what's effective. I'd personally recommend against the Multi-melta from past experience playing Loyalist Dreads, as you're tooling yourself out for vehicle hunting off the start, with an easily cracked walker. I think DCCWs tearing open a vehicle can be fairly effective when the time is right, but you've got much better, more reliable options in Havoc squads, Lascannons, and Obliterators.

Vedar
17-08-2009, 17:37
I run either 2 DCCW or DCCW and ML. That way when you roll to shoot at yourself you stay next to another Dread or Rhino so you can't really hurt anything (use frag missle). The 2 DCCW option I like as 5 attacks on the charge is nothing to sneeze at and for the most part it is pretty cheap. Dread are not the "best" units to use but I like them and they look cool. I hope 5th Ed rules are better then the 4th ed codex.

FunkyRatDemon
17-08-2009, 18:14
2 CCW's are best for the Chaos Dread, less chance of it going Fire Frenzy ob your own guys. Baring that Plasma Cannon is always appreciated.

Mega Nutz
17-08-2009, 20:19
2 CCW's are best for the Chaos Dread, less chance of it going Fire Frenzy ob your own guys. Baring that Plasma Cannon is always appreciated.

Very true, converted mine to have two of the iron clad chainsaws, and underslung bolter and flamer.

Check out the blog for pics...may give you some inspiration!

PapaDoc
18-08-2009, 00:25
Another effective shooting combo is the missile launcher/close combat weapon. Well it really is not very effective but it doesn't kill the **** out of your own vechicles like the multimelta armed dreadnaughts can do.

SharpSilver
18-08-2009, 00:29
Another effective shooting combo is the missile launcher/close combat weapon. Well it really is not very effective but it doesn't kill the **** out of your own vechicles like the multimelta armed dreadnaughts can do.

1/6 chance of that happening. Plus if your board is large enough. Putting a dread armed with a MM on the flank, far away from vehicles is a effective way of minimizing self-inflicted causalities, or even using the ol' noggin' and putting the enemy closer to you than your own troops.

Like they say. Keep your friends close. But keep your enemy even closer.

Fire Harte
18-08-2009, 00:38
One of the younger kids at my store (I'm 16 I am a kid!) has converted his black reach dread into a chaos one using spikes and one of those chaos marine rhino icon plates, looks cool.

Also I'm currently making a chaos dread and dunno if that'll be inspiration for you. (PLUG!!! :rolleyes:

arch_inquisitor
18-08-2009, 02:55
So 2 DCCW are the most efficient, ML/DCCW are the safest and PC/DCCW can be useful.

Thanks for the input guys.

Is the autocannon any good on a chaos dread? I have an extra TLLC that I'm never gonna use and I've turned them into
autocannons before.

Lord Humongous
18-08-2009, 03:42
Statistically its just as good as the lascannon vs 11 or less, so I suppose it has its place if you gun down light armor a lot. Sadly, that place probably comes with a crosshairs on it and is better filled by something with a lower profile or better punch. And hey, if you teamed up with a landraider or paluge marines, you'd have very little risk from friendly fire frenzy.
I've run a TLAC dread before (probably the same conversion too), and didn't care for it. I think I'd rather go for a bigger gun, fire frenzy be damned, or maybe the ML.

PapaDoc
19-08-2009, 13:45
1/6 chance of that happening. Plus if your board is large enough. Putting a dread armed with a MM on the flank, far away from vehicles is a effective way of minimizing self-inflicted causalities, or even using the ol' noggin' and putting the enemy closer to you than your own troops.

I see your point but when playing with a mech'd army (like I do) it is a bit more difficult than that I think. I want walking multimeltas in the centre not in the flanks because of their short range (unless the opponent deploys in the flanks).

It is also 1/6 per turn. That means I'm rolling for it about 5-6 times. Not good odds with my luck.

Necromancer2
19-08-2009, 13:58
Hvy Bolter on my dred.. no need for him to hunt tanks... he just brings up the rear.