PDA

View Full Version : Hellbron in competative Lists?

Arguleon-veq
17-08-2009, 17:52
It seems to me that she just doesn't crop up that often. Why is that?

Sure, she is VERY fragile but when you put her in a unit that can ASF she gets about 9 S10 ASF Attacks. There are very few things in the game that can deal with that.

A unit of Execs with Hellbron, Hag BSB with ASF Banner, backed up by a Couldran is a pretty nasty combo. The Hag BSB although nowhere near as good as a Master BSB can still get a 5+ Ward and -1 Attack on Her.

Shooting this unit down is an issue but fairly easily solved with some Corsairs with the Couldrans 5+ Ward put on them for a 4+/5++ Save, makes a decent enough screen.

A 3x6 unit like that will set you back about 750 but that still leaves plenty of room in the list for Hydra support, Shades, Ring of Hotek Master etc.

sulla
17-08-2009, 22:45
Tried her in a unit of execs once with the ASF BSB. My opponent raised zombies, I charged, wiped them out, overran and was flanked by Black knights with the regen banner and another character. I duly failed my fear test and killed 0, losing the entire unit.

I'll never use her in a unit that isn't immune to psyche again.:evilgrin: Besides, putting her in BG means I don't need the BSB either, so I get better utility elsewhere in the army.

PARTYCHICORITA
18-08-2009, 05:09
Probably the best unit for her is the black guard and a cauldron somewhere in the vicinity is of course welcome since a 5+ ward save is always better than no save.

BloodHawk
18-08-2009, 19:38
The biggest problem you run into is that she is Frenzied, and any if you put her in Executioners they are not. If you fight a savvy enemy, he will use fast cav or fliers to bait the frenzied character out of the unit. This makes her easy kill for even the skimpiest of magic or shooting.

I thought about using her in this way, but then I realized the downside is too great against a skilled opponent. However, if the enemy does not pull her out of the the unit you will be golden. Just make sure the unit is ITP with the pearl of infinite bleakness, or take the upgrade character for the unit so they cause fear, and thus are immune to it as well.

sulla
18-08-2009, 20:05
The biggest problem you run into is that she is Frenzied, and any if you put her in Executioners they are not. If you fight a savvy enemy, he will use fast cav or fliers to bait the frenzied character out of the unit. This makes her easy kill for even the skimpiest of magic or shooting.

Harpies can go in front of her unit to block her LoS. Or just charge with the whole unit if you think she might be in charge range. It's really not that big a problem. Plus you have one of the best armies in the game for dealing with fast cav/fliers.

yashamaru38
18-08-2009, 21:57
Crone Hellebron is my personal favorite character. the whole fragile part doesnt really matter if you put her in a unit (why you wouldnt i dont know) and in combat if she strikes first she will almost always kill anyone that can strike back i mean even pitting her up against a dragon an she'll most definately kill it. im actually thinking of using her and Morathi for my 3,000 point tourny thats coming up.

BloodHawk
19-08-2009, 03:00
Harpies can go in front of her unit to block her LoS. Or just charge with the whole unit if you think she might be in charge range. It's really not that big a problem. Plus you have one of the best armies in the game for dealing with fast cav/fliers.

True, however, harpies are extremely fragile.

As I see it, you could charge with the whole unit...but, a smart player can easily pull your unit out of position allowing a flank charge. They put you in a bad spot if you go, either let Chrone Hellbron charge his flyers and possibly die, or get charged in the flank by Chaos Knights or a Stegadon and possibly lose the entire unit.

I am not saying that Hellbron in ASF Executioners is a bad tactic by any means. I am just kind of playing devils advocate with problems I can see. It is a great tactic, but I can see ways around it that keep it from being the best possible Dark Elf build. ALthough, I must say it is my favorite Dark Elf build ;)

sulla
19-08-2009, 04:45
I am not saying that Hellbron in ASF Executioners is a bad tactic by any means. I am just kind of playing devils advocate with problems I can see. It is a great tactic, but I can see ways around it that keep it from being the best possible Dark Elf build. ALthough, I must say it is my favorite Dark Elf build ;):evilgrin:And I'm certainly not advocating execitioners either. As I said back in post2, I've tried her in exies and it failed miserably. I would only use her in BG as it reduces the investment needed to make the unit reliable.

Also, if you use BG, you can screen with anything (corsairs, crossbows, dark riders, etc)since they are immune to psyche, so when faced by rubbish, her screeners can charge. When charged by anything heavy, they can flee through the BG luring the enemy into your (pretty obvious) trap.

Arguleon-veq
19-08-2009, 10:26
Yeah, BG are a much better place for her, not as fluffy or cool though! :P

As for getting lured into being flanked. Its something that is easy to see even if you arent able to stop it. Just put Hellbron herself on the flank you are getting charged. That will still handle most units.

If you are with Execs, aided by the Couldran you are looking at 4 S6 + 9 S10 ASF Hatred Attacks at those flankers and they dont even get a bonus for flanking you and your still getting your +1 for the BSB and +1 for your normal standard.

Even in BG you are still getting 4 S4 + 9 S10 ASF Hatred Attacks at them although they will get the bonus for flanking you and you wont get the extra +1 for a BSB.

eyescrossed
21-08-2009, 04:25
Executioners with the ASF banner are illegal - they can take a banner that is 25 pts or less; the Standard of Hag Graef is 35.

Draconian77
21-08-2009, 04:41
In all cases a BsB was referenced.

It's still not a good idea in my opinion.