PDA

View Full Version : Has GW ****ed up with Space hulk?

Marsekay
17-08-2009, 19:20
I ordered it today, i couldnt really afford it, but i couldnt afford to miss out.

i really think the official plan of "limited 1 time run" might be a load of genestealer testicles but if it is i feel its a BAD move from the get go.

Its obvious how many people wanted this game to come ut again, its been going on for YEARS why would GW say no to such a cash cow? making it limited run may get you fast initial sales but wouldnt a full run be the wiser option? Getting the game/GW brand back out there into the mainstream via cross store marketing etc? thats how i got into the hobby myself, and for a lot of people i knew at the time.

I just think if GW limit this they are only limiting their own possible revenue.

The tooling/design costs have already been spent so its hardly a case of "its not worth it cos it costs to much to develop," as thats already been done!

Chaos and Evil
17-08-2009, 19:27
cash cow

Interesting you use that term.

"Cash cow" refers to a product which can make steady, high sales for an extended period. Clearly GW believes that Space Hulk is not a cash cow, and has a much shorter product life cycle, which could benefit from a 'limited run' announcement.

For the record, I think GW are dead on the money with this one.

Lord Malorne
17-08-2009, 19:28
Why the rant in a seperate thread?

We really only have the community to blame for all the hype, not oursleves, the community ;).

yabbadabba
17-08-2009, 19:32
For the record, I think GW are dead on the money with this one. Agreed. They will have a great idea of how this game will run. I have been there for both previous Space Hulk releases (as well as other games of this ilk), both were hugely successful, both were hyped up by the community.

Both were discounted and sold off years later.

Good idea. And they can always make more if they want to.

Marsekay
17-08-2009, 19:32
Interesting you use that term.

"Cash cow" refers to a product which can make steady, high sales for an extended period. Clearly GW believes that Space Hulk is not a cash cow, and has a much shorter product life cycle, which could benefit from a 'limited run' announcement.

For the record, I think GW are dead on the money with this one.

key word there, GW BELIEVES its not a cash cow, whearas 99% of people want this game back.

get it back mainstream and add some nice expansions and its a cash cow.
just keep adding the supplements.

Havock
17-08-2009, 19:33
It's a limited run until they sell enough in a good enough time span.

Them due to 'resounding succes...."

loveless
17-08-2009, 19:42
They're doing it in an acceptable manner. There's little chance that they'll have boxes of Space Hulk sitting around come release day - which is probably something feared when it comes to a "new" product: "What if the public doesn't snatch it up?"

Make it limited and you've done 2 things:
1) Ensured the count of boxes you have to sell with no promise that you're going to make more
2) Enticed the customer base - things like "Limited Edition" get snatched up all the time, often at a quicker pace than their mundane counterparts. It's a way to make the customer feel special, and they tend to enjoy it.

Meanwhile, they could always bring it back - it's not like they're going to destroy the moulds like they say they do for some limited releases.

Brinnyunlimited
17-08-2009, 19:42
I used to sell Fantasy Flight board games in my store and found that even with games that aren't splash release, purchases begin to dwindle incredibly quickly after an initial buyer rush to get the new game.

I imagine the same would have happened with Space Hulk. It would be the flavour of the month for a short while, then quickly forgotten about.

By doing this it builds up extra frenzy for the product. Just take a look at the trading section of this website - Gaming Figures have already sold out of their initial allotment, with Wayland hot on there heels. Would their have been as much hype if the game wasn't so limited? My past experience in selling these kinds of board games, tells me no.

Max Jet
17-08-2009, 19:52
I still doubt we will see it in Toy stores, though that might have been good, but the game will definately be rereleased.. Just look at all the people selling their firstborn to get a copy for themselves.
By screaming "Limited" All over everyone gets mad and buys this though he wouldn't really want to in the first place (original poster). Afterwards they are going to look at excellent sale statistics and will rerelease it. That's it.

Marsekay
17-08-2009, 20:04
heres GW's plan.

Sell out this week.

"find" some extra copies for games day UK. youll buy a ticket then right?

then rerelease properly at christmas.

It will happen.

Oh and if you dont believe me that Space hulks a money spinner, have a look at the most ever users stat for warseer.

thats today.

Brinnyunlimited
17-08-2009, 20:07
What I think is more likely to happen is GW will keep it limited until they are all out of stock and then license out the game to Fantasy Flight Games so that they can produce expansions for it.

A similar thing happened with Talisman, and we all remember the furor over Dark Heresy.

Condottiere
17-08-2009, 20:12
It's not core, and it's better if inventory were sold out ASAP. Keep it limited and you can artificially inflate the price.

Schmapdi
17-08-2009, 20:14
I'm going to say yes, not that they'll ever realize it. At a reasonable price Space Hulk could have been produced and sold in actual stores as an excellent entry point to the core games. It could have been a steady trickle of revenue for years to come, unconnected to the rise and fall of the fortunes of the core games.

Instead - GW decided to release it at $25 more than everyone thought it would be (about $50 more than it should be) and call it a limited edition so a horde of people will try to snap up 3 copies before the end of the year. So it winds up being just a quick cash grab to shore up their bottom line for another fiscal year.

And yes, I know - they can always bring it back. But then Space Hulk just becomes another example of GW lying through their teeth. Plus without being a "limited edition" there's no way you'd get away with it's ridiculous price.

Bregalad
17-08-2009, 20:22
1.) This game is something special and has a history. It has brought a good percentage of people into the hobby, serving as an introductory game to 40k, and the old versions still sell above retail price on ebay. So clearly it is NOT forgotten among people.

2.) GW has a shrinking customer base for several reasons. One reason is that the entry into the hobby is very steep and expensive and there are other plug-and-play alternatives like PC games. GW offers no introductory game at the moment, as the starter boxes for 40k, Fantasy and LOTR all require you to read 100 pages of rules first plus assemble and paint about 50-100 miniatures. Either the full rule book or nothing ATM. Also no ads, commercials and presence in normal toy stores, so outside UK GW is rather unknown. So a widely released and advertised introductory game is needed badly. And GW got one candidate.

3.) GW made huge efforts to reduce sales for the new Space Hulk: Deny its existence until 2 weeks before release, no advertising or PR on its own fan-meetings -> Games Days, limited stock, only available in GW and certain indie stores for a ridiculous short time, restriction to 1 per customer with expectation to be sold out soon. Everyone else would have done a massive marketing campaign and easily sold a multifold of boxes.

So yes, while the new Space Hulk game is superb, GW has done everything to reduce profit and long term perspectives for this game and the hobby.

Dezartfox
17-08-2009, 20:23
I'm going to say yes, not that they'll ever realize it. At a reasonable price Space Hulk could have been produced and sold in actual stores as an excellent entry point to the core games. It could have been a steady trickle of revenue for years to come, unconnected to the rise and fall of the fortunes of the core games.
They bought it back as a special release as it's 20 years since SH was first out, AoBR is the introductory game, not SH.

Instead - GW decided to release it at $25 more than everyone thought it would be (about $50 more than it should be) and call it a limited edition so a horde of people will try to snap up 3 copies before the end of the year. So it winds up being just a quick cash grab to shore up their bottom line for another fiscal year.

60 is a BRILLIANT price, 2 boxes of termies cost 50, excellent value I say. The Original 20 years ago cost 40.. and didn't contain as much awesome as is in this box.

And yes, I know - they can always bring it back. But then Space Hulk just becomes another example of GW lying through their teeth. Plus without being a "limited edition" there's no way you'd get away with it's ridiculous price.

Again the price isn't ridiculous. Is someonr bitter because they can't afford it? We've all known this mystery box has been coming for MONTHS.
I managed to save what little money I had just for this.

Yayale
17-08-2009, 20:29
Considering what you get if you compare it to GW shop prices (yes I know they are obcene) then it's actually value for money.

Limeted addition = large, quick income. To be honest they will probably make the same amount of money from it being limeted addition as they would have if they sold it for 6 months. Also I expect 6 months to a year down the line there will be an expansion, then it's oh just incase you didn't get your hands on the origonal game which you need to play the expansion we are re-releasing it. Que the second mass sales of the same game, closely followed by the mass sales of the expansion.

brotherAkkyshan
17-08-2009, 20:35
heres GW's plan.

Sell out this week.

"find" some extra copies for games day UK. youll buy a ticket then right?

then rerelease properly at christmas.

It will happen.

I agree! Although this is a twentieth anniversery release, I think in the current financial climate GW will grab at anything that turns a profit for them. Come christmas we could well be seeing an 'unlimited' re-release.

The only thing that worries me about all this is that people are shelling out 60 without any real idea of what they're getting. What happens if the miniatures are not compatible with 40k? To be honest I see no reason why they should be. This is being marketed as a boardgame not an introduction to the hobby! The original Space Hulk was never meant to be absorbed into Rogue Trader, that is why the Terminators were/are so small. They are dwarfed by even the plastic beakie marines of the time. The 'Stealers are more in keeping, though if you look at the original artwork they look much larger than Terminators anyway (Now in gaming terms they are smaller! ).

I just hope that GW don't pull a fast one and send out 250,000 'Fantasy Flight' style boardgames instead of the Blood Angel/Tyranid starter armies that everyone is banking on! :(

Marsekay
17-08-2009, 20:48
can we send them back if they are a load of old balls??

brotherAkkyshan
17-08-2009, 20:57
You could try! :D

Though come to think of it where in the promotional material does it state that this is compatible with Warhammer 40k? Buyer beware methinks!

How many kiddies are going to pre-order this? This could be GWs final attempt to **** off everyone over the age of fifthteen and finally be left alone to concentrate on its target demographic in peace!

Condottiere
17-08-2009, 21:02
As long as the termies aren't 25mm heroic scale.

Brimstone
17-08-2009, 21:03
We already have a Space Hulk thread in 40K News & rumours we don't need another at the moment.

Thread Closed

The Warseer Inquisition