PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Tomb Kings list

Bauknefer
17-08-2009, 20:25
The list i have made is based of buying 2 battle forces and 2 pack of liche priests and 2 tomb king models

Tomb King -265
-Destroyer of Eternities
-Collar of Shapesh
Liche Priest -165
-Cloak of Dunes
-Plaques of Mighty Incantations
Liche Priest- 168
-Skeletal Steed
-Staff of Ravening
Tomb Prince- 201
-Great weapon, Light armor, Chariot
-Golden Eye of Rah-nut
-Chariot of Fire

Skeleton Warriors x 24 266
-Light armor, Shields
-Full command
-Banner of the Undying Legion
Skeleton Warriors x 10 80
-bows
-bows
-bows
-bows
Light Horsemen x6 84
Heavy Horsemen x5 115
-Full command
Heavy Horsemen x5 115
-Full command
Chariots x5 300
-Full command
-Banner of the Sacred Eye

Total 1999
money 227 dollars

How does that look. I wont be doing any tournaments and i know i will need some things like Tomb Scorpions and maybe SSC's but i wont be able to get them yet how do you think this will do in a friendly game?

Maoriboy007
17-08-2009, 21:27
The list i have made is based of buying 2 battle forces and 2 pack of liche priests and 2 tomb king models

Tomb King -265
-Destroyer of Eternities
-Collar of Shapesh
Liche Priest -165
-Cloak of Dunes
-Plaques of Mighty Incantations
Liche Priest- 168
-Skeletal Steed
-Staff of Ravening
Tomb Prince- 201
-Great weapon, Light armor, Chariot
-Golden Eye of Rah-nut
-Chariot of Fire

Skeleton Warriors x 24 266
-Light armor, Shields
-Full command
-Banner of the Undying Legion
-bows
-bows
-bows
-bows
Light Horsemen x6 84
Heavy Horsemen x5 115
-Full command
Heavy Horsemen x5 115
-Full command
Chariots x5 300
-Full command
-Banner of the Sacred Eye

Total 1999
money 227 dollars

How does that look. I wont be doing any tournaments and i know i will need some things like Tomb Scorpions and maybe SSC's but i wont be able to get them yet how do you think this will do in a friendly game?

Heavy Horse are pretty awful and a rip off at the moment, Light Horse are better (which isn't saying much).
As you've already said you need at least one catapault and a scorpion.
I'd consider sacrificing the horsemen and some skeletons for them, and/or possibly some tombguard (15 minimum) who are by far the toughest combat infantry you can field.

CaptainAwesome
17-08-2009, 21:55
Its hard to get away with only using two battalions and some heros.

Orges will be a better bet or maybe Lizardmen as there battalions are a tad better also Giftsforgeeks.com have the orc army set for 75 odd which includes characters in the box.

As for this list I think your going to be hard pressed in anything but mega friendly games.

EDIT Just noticed your from newzealand so the website won't be much help. The Orge sets are still very good and my friend has made a nice bret list with two of the battalions an extra peg night and some characters.

Bauknefer
18-08-2009, 06:43
nah im from USA and I want tomb kings I was just wondering what the cheapest way to build one was. Can skeletons be converted to Tomb guard?

lcfr
19-08-2009, 15:35
The cheapest way is to scour every corner of the online world for used Tomb Kings being put up for trade or sale. I spent a little more than I would have on two battaltions but instead my army includes two units of Tomb Guard, two units of chariots, a casket, SSC, carrion, 4 characters, tomb scorpion, skellies, etc. The only things I actually need to buy in store (assuming I can't find it online) are 2 more Carrion and a TG command.

So look on eBay or even here on Warseer, or take the time to accumulate your army slowly. Though TK aren't so grand at 1k, write up a 1k list that has room to grow to 1500, and fromthere to 2000/2250. This way you start small but have goals to work towards, even if it takes some time.

CaptainAwesome
19-08-2009, 20:46
lcfr speaks alot of sense if you wanted to convert Tomb guard though just keep all the armoured heads from the box sets and follow GW's example by painting its elite units in a secondry colour.

Bauknefer
21-08-2009, 00:18
Awesome thanks guys

autosuggest
22-08-2009, 04:39
Bring on the tomb kings Bauknefer, my orks will grind there freaking bones to a fine paste, mix it with there dung and make houses out of the resulting cement-like material.Then they will kick back in there new crib swapping stories about the day you DARED place your army on the same tabletop as my greenskins.:p

Maoriboy007
22-08-2009, 10:34
Tomb Kings benefit from large infantry (bowman) units. Righteous Smiting works better if you can get 20 shots out of one casting. Combine a couple of those bowman units. Also, drop the Heavy Horse and make them Light horse. This type of army needs charge redirectors and fast cavalry are better for this role (HEavy Horse are a joke anyway)

Bauknefer
22-08-2009, 16:08
so 2 units of 20 archers work better then 4 units of 10? and how do you re-direct charges if i cant flee as a reaction? I kno that heavy horsemen suck but if i grab a flank of something thats all ready in combat it would be worth it.

CaptainAwesome
22-08-2009, 19:28
If you have a small crappy unit (ie 5 light horsemen) they lose and crumble in one round of combat leaving the enemy unit facing the wrong way (or over running somewhere they dont want to be) if you place them right just dont upgrade them at all. Your chariots will be alot better if they hit the side and dont have to worry about characters.

Skywave
22-08-2009, 20:25
Drop all the full command from every unit. Undead don't really benefit from musician (only in draw, wich don't matter much), never pay for them, it's a waste. Nearly the same can be said about champion. An extra skeleton attack isn't worth it. The only place you want champion is where your characters are to take challenge. That's only good for infantry though, Chariot shouldn't get them (way too pricy for 1 attack). Standard is the only option you want for most unit (infantry and chariot, not horsemen).

Horsemen are best when naked to keep cost down. Five light horsemen is cheap, core, can free reform, and can pop a few shot at the enemy. This should be your expendable throw away unit to redirect like other said. It's also a great place to hide your Lich on skeletal steed. Heavy Horsemen aren't quite as good, and beside flanking soft unit, can't do much for you, sadly.

Archer unit of 20 can double up as fighting unit when enemy get near, you just reform and have a nice block of fear and unbreakable skeletons. Block of 10 are fine, but from your list, you only have 1 infantry block of 24, so in this situation, at least 1 more at 20 would help you.

Chariot are best in unit of 3, 4 at best. Better to have 2 unit of 3 with a standard, than one of 5 with full command.

While it can be cheap to get 2 battalion and some characters, your army might miss some "flavor" if I can say that. It's of course a great way to start, but you might find it a bit lacking if you keep it like that. If you plan to upgrade it later, then those 2 boxe will give you a great start, and might fill all your core need for your army. All you'll have to add is some special/rare to spice up your list and use the TK to it's fullest. Scorpions and SSC ike you said would be a must as your next purchase.

Maoriboy007
24-08-2009, 01:32
I find chariots work wel in a unit of 5 without an overpriced champion. They can take a casualty or two and still be effective, characters benifit form the Look Out Sir rule and shots aren't randomised onto them. Also the unit has that "scary" factor that distracts your opponant.
Only the softest of units are worried about a flank charge from skeleton heavy horse and they have a lot less maneuverability than throw away lighthorse.
And yes, 2 units of 20 bowmen is better. You have a limit of spells you can cast, so the less you have to spread them out, the better. They also make passable infantry blocks in a pinch.

Bauknefer
24-08-2009, 15:12
ok so it seems like the list will look like this

Tomb king- Destroyer of eternities, Collar of shapesh 265
Liche Priest-Cloak of Dunes, Plaques 165 (I really like the item and I may get a third priest for the jar)
Liche Priest-Skeletal steed, Staff of Ravening 168
Tomb Prince- Flail, Shield, LA, Chariot, Chariot of fire, Eye of Rah-nutt 201
Skeletons x24 shield, LA, standard, Banner of the Undying Legion 251
Skeleton archers x20 160
Skeleton archers x20 160
Light Horsemen x5 70
Chariot x3 standard, Banner of the sacred eye 190
Chariot x3 standard, warbanner 165
Screaming skull catapult x2 180

that puts me at 1975, What should i drop to fit in a Tomb Scorpion. and How does this list sound as Opposed to the other one

Skywave
24-08-2009, 19:15
That list is much better now :)

If you want to fit in a Tomb Scorpion, I would drop the war banner on the chariot and some skeleton from one unit. Or get a skeleton unit to 10 and keep the War Banner. I would also put a standard in the remaining 20-man archer unit.

Bauknefer
25-08-2009, 04:11
Ok I am doing a list overhaul I tried a 1000 point version of that army and I didnt like being so reliant on str3 bows. This is what I came up with for 1500 points

Tomb Prince -GW, Collar of Shapesh, LA -131
Liche priest- Cloak of Dunes, Plaques (saved me when I played) 165
Liche Priest- Skeletal Steed, Staff of Ravening 168
Skeleton Archer x 14 112
Skeleton Archer x 14 112
Light Horsemen x 5 70
Chariot x 4 - Standard, Warbanner 205
Tomb Guard x19 - standard, Banner of the Undying Legion 265
Ushabti x3 - 195
Tomb Scorpion- 85

That comes to 1508 I am shooting for 1500 I guess i can drop the plaques for the jar which doesn't sound bad