PDA

View Full Version : Tough As Hell Nurgle Warriors of Chaos

PrivateLucky
17-08-2009, 22:17
My plan making this list was to make it tough as hell, high toughness, lots of saves, high armor while still having my hard hitting high armor knights. My Lord is a tough guy with 3 saves and toughness 5 and my hero is there for smaller character killings. My sorc has a biting blade just because i had 5 points left over. My sorcerers go in the squads of 13 for a front rank of 7 while my combat heros go with the knights of course.

Chaos Lord 372pts
Flail, Shield, MoN, Armour of Morisleb, Crown of Everlasting Conquest,
Necrotic Phylactery, Favour of the Gods, Chaos Steed

Exalted Hero 201pts
Shield, MoN, Chaos Runesword, Chaos Steed

Chaos Sorcerer 190pts
Lvl 2, MoN, Power Familiar, Dispel Scroll

Chaos Sorcerer 185pts
LvL 2, MoN, Biting Blade, Spell Familiar, Dispel Scroll

13 Chaos Warriors 262pts
MoN, Standard, Champion

13 Chaos Warriors 262pts
MoN, Standard, Champion

14 Chaos Warriors 278pts
MoN, Standard, Champion

5 Chaos Knights 250pts
MoN, Champion

5 Chaos Knights 250pts
MoN, Champion

5 Chaos Knights 250pts
MoN, Champion

2500pts

Sarah S
18-08-2009, 04:06
Chaos Sorcerer 185pts
LvL 2, MoN, Biting Blade, Spell Familiar, Dispel Scroll

This guy, drop him for Festus. The amount of bite and resilience he adds to a unit will more than make up for the loss of a scroll.

PrivateLucky
18-08-2009, 15:15
I really like what Festus brings to the table. I also though about adding a banner of rage to his unit but i decided against it because i want to stick to the defensive tough as hell theme, plus i want to be able to control my units. So here is my revised list.

Chaos Lord 372pts
Flail, Shield, MoN, Armour of Morisleb, Crown of Everlasting Conquest,
Necrotic Phylactery, Favour of the Gods, Chaos Steed

Exalted Hero 201pts
Shield, MoN, Chaos Runesword, Chaos Steed

Chaos Sorcerer 190pts
Lvl 2, MoN, Power Familiar, Dispel Scroll

Festus the Leech Lord 185pts

13 Chaos Warriors 262pts
MoN, Standard, Champion

13 Chaos Warriors 262pts
MoN, Standard, Champion

14 Chaos Warriors 278pts
MoN, Standard, Champion

5 Chaos Knights 250pts
MoN, Champion

5 Chaos Knights 250pts
MoN, Champion

5 Chaos Knights 250pts
MoN, Champion

2500pts

Artemis360
18-08-2009, 19:21
Dude, I realise you're playing a theme and if your theme is the absolute most important thing to you then good on you. But if winning is at all important to you, you should know: mark of nurgle, apart from on characters, is absolute garbage.

dapredator66
18-08-2009, 20:04
Musicians, you need musician everywhere (more important than banner and champion) I can't count the number of time I made a draw or won a combat with it.

I personally tried many Chaos Warriors unit size... My conclusions were, to never take under 15 warriors and try to go for 18 (excluding the characters). It would also add to your Tough Nurgle army since you are adding a lot of resilience. 2 Warriors units instead of 3 might be better.

As for your magic, I also tried hard casting with only 2 Nurgle lvl2 and I did not find it very effective to tell you the truth (even against scroll caddy). But since you have taken Festus, the regen. and poisoned attack should somewhat compensate (but keep in mind to switch for a caddy...).

PrivateLucky
18-08-2009, 21:54
Dude, I realise you're playing a theme and if your theme is the absolute most important thing to you then good on you. But if winning is at all important to you, you should know: mark of nurgle, apart from on characters, is absolute garbage.

Thanks, I'm not to worried about competition, im just going to be playing my friend mostly, usually i beat him in 40k so i was planning on fantasy on being my fun army. I feel the theme as tough as possible would be fun. Whats more demoralizing then all of your shots and hits glancing of the the armor or just missing?

Stuffburger
18-08-2009, 23:47
I wouldn't call MoN on warriors garbage- in fact, I fear it the most of all marks on Warriors and it's good on knights too. They're so insanely hard to kill in CC I don't even try without a flank or impact hits. Then again, I play O&G so I fear most anything.

I would find some room for a couple 30pt throwaway warhound units to march block, annoy and harass- getting rid of one knight unit would pay for 2 units of 5, 5 marauder horsemen and some musicians.

o0-NattyMcFatty-0o
20-08-2009, 21:02
Mark of Nurgle is awsome. The ammount of times this has prevented my knights from being skewered like kebab meat is... hold on...errr...ten times, I think, iplay lots of HE,DE and dwarves. Too bad it does naf all to cannons LOL! 5 dead knights and oneulucky chaos lord who failed his lookout sir! roll dead in first turn.
All in all, your list is fairly rounded, but you really haven't made it so your units are hard.
Festus is the number one choice for atough nurgle list so its great to see that he's up there.
You should look at your list as whole though when you say how tough it is, you core choices are fairly chunky and your sorcerer, while he can do some damage with that extra casting dice, you should think more of magical defence of your army. so, time for a going through. first things first, chaos lord, personally I like to have mine as a combat monster but some people would rather they can take a good kick in the teeth and still stick around relatively unscathed ( except the broken teeth) so, on your hard as nails basis I would strip him of everything hes got excep his mount and his mark, besides which, crown of everlasting conquest and necrotic phylactery are both enchanted items so he could only have one or the other, although I wouldn't ake either. Instead give him a rune shield, a collar of khorne and watever else you want for the other 25 points. Sure you lose a save and your ward save is alot worse, but you have to bare in mind, he's a chaos lord, he's gonna have to fight in challenges, with your prievious build the enemy would get their magic weapons which can be anything from multiple wounds to flaming, minus two to armour and so forth. Equiping your lord with a rune shield makes him way more survivable in the long run. Any way I have to go so I'll comment on the rest of thee list later.

selone
20-08-2009, 22:34
I wouldn't call it MoN garbage but I wouldn't call it great either. It's not bad at all on Knights though who don't need the fear immunity that MoS brings :)

Sarah S
20-08-2009, 23:45
About the Nurgle Mark, here's something I posted in another thread recently:
It is the most expensive.
It doesn't help against magic.
It doesn't help against shooting that automatically hits.

It only helps when the enemy attacks, and only helps by lowering their WS, not their chance to hit.

For Marauders, it only helps to turn WS2 into WS1, or to turn WS5 into WS4. Against WS1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 it does absolutely nothing.

For Chaos Warriors (or Knights) it only helps to turn WS3 into WS2, or to turn WS 6 into WS5. Against WS 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, it does absolutely nothing.

It is the damn dumbest Mark ever. Against BS based shooting it's a -1 to hit penalty. Ooh ahh! Against non-BS based shooting it's completely useless. Against magic it's completely useless. In close combat, against 80% of the WS table it's completely useless.

Huh, that's a lot of the word "useless," perhaps the entire Mark itself is.

I would say Slaanesh is by far the best Mark for most units.

o0-NattyMcFatty-0o
21-08-2009, 09:28
I would disagree that MoN is useless or in fact the worst mark, that, in my opinion truly belongs to MoK, I personally think frenzy is one of the worst rules you can voluntarily give to a unit. Yes, against "80 percent of the chart" MoN is useless, however, against actual models with stat lines it is realistically a lot better (although still crap on marauders).
Lots of empire have WS 3, 5's to hit arriors, no empire character goes beyond ws 6, 4's to hit warriors.
Brettonian characters don't go above ws6, some brettonian units have ws 3 or lower.
Ogre characters don't go above ws 6, almost everything in the ogre book is ws 3.
Tomb king characters don't go above ws 6, the units are at such a low ws that it is otherwise irrelevant, except tomb guard who are ws 3, which is altered by MoN.
vamps, ws 6 heroes need fours to hit, ws 3 units ie the most common core unit, ghouls, need 5's to hit, graveguard, and black knights, two very common units, need 5's to hit, cairn wraiths need 5's to hit...
I could go on like this for some time, however you also have to bare in mind that their are alot more roll to hit weapons for shooting than not, admitedly, cannons are still problem as are organ guns and template weapons, but hand gunners wont be a problem, nor will crossbows (repeater and normal) and the effectiveness of bolt throwers, which are scary for warriors because no armour saves, will be severel reduced.
Any way, while agree MoS is good, it doesn't protect you any better against auto shooting than MoN but MoN has the benefit of surviving other forms of shooting, and happily and safely using great weapons and halberds, even when charged by a the large ammount of WS 3 troops out teir, and being certain that enough warriors will remain to beat the opponent in combat.

o0-NattyMcFatty-0o
21-08-2009, 09:53
Any way, back to the list. Looking at your exalted he seems to have an Ok set up, although I personaly would take away the rune sword, give him armour of damnation, and favour of the gods. I'd leave th shield on but also equip him with a flail, when you charge a chariot or a unit of Knights or other high armour save units, you'll know what I mean. Also upgrade him to a bsb, if you haven't got a spare hand to put the standrd in, try and get hold of the standard in the flaggelant box set and stick it to his back. It looks suitably torn and weathered as well.

On your sorcerer I'd scrap the power familliar and give him another scroll. personally, I wouldn't even give him a mark or increase his level, I'd just leave him as a scroll caddy and give him lore of death so you can still keep in the nurgle theme.

Keep festus.

Take out a unit of warriors and bulk up your others to at least 15 strong, equip them with halberds a musician, and SHIELDS!!! how can you claim a list to be hard as nails i you haven't even given your warriors shields? Make one of your warrior units a bit bigger than the other, and give them great weapons instead of halberds, throw festus in and a rapturous standard fo your magic standard and there you are.

Try and squeeze in at least one unit of marauder horsemen although I reccomend two, give them throwing axes, or flails, or both if you can. Deffinetly give them musicians.

drop a unit of Knights, two is enough to kick the crap out of most lists. Give one of your units full command at least and either a blasted standard or a warbanner, exalted and lord go here, although you should put your lord on the end and the exalted in between him and the unit as he will effect the knights ensorcelled weapons otherwise.

you should have enough points to take warshrines, don't give them MoN, instead just paint them nurgley and convert them so they are nurgley and blame the massive ressilience of four wounds toughness six, four plus armour, four plus ward on nurgle looking after his followers who give him lots of gifts.. Plus, if you put your exalted and lord in the same Knight unit, all of a sudden that unit becomes a very big problem for your enemy.
If th points go a bit over, just snip a warrior or two off until it fits, hope this helps.
Oh, if points allo, try and get a command on the other knight unit, although I would take a muso over a champ, and also try and get your lord Word of Agony if you have enough points to spend hope this helps;)