PDA

View Full Version : 1999 HE Tournie list - thoughts?

King_Pash
17-08-2009, 23:46
Hey guys,

Here's a list i've nettled down for an upcoming tournie. It's a 1999 no characters tournie. Let me know what you guys think.

Heroes [443pts]
Mage - Jewel of Dusk, Dispell scroll
Noble (General)- Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix, Great weapon
Noble - Battle Standard, Armour of Protection, Great weapon, shield

Core [270pts]
15xSpearmen - Full command
10xArchers

Rare [200pts]
2xBolt Throwers

Special [1080pts]
Lion Chariot
12xSwordmasters - Full Command, Lion Standard
20xPhoenix Guard - Full Command, War Banner
20xPhoenix Guard - Full Command, Banner of Arcane Protection

Grand total = 1992

That gives me some shooting ability to take out the crap meatshield/sniping with RBTs. Some very basic magic with High Lore (I know that this is a weakness but apart from the VCs I don't expect to have that much magic-heavy armies to face). Two bunker units with a Noble in each that will take care of most of the opponents. A small (but nasty!) flanking chariot. That pretty much means i'll have 3/4 units that either cause Fear and/or are immune to it.

Thoughts?

Desert Rain
18-08-2009, 10:05
It looks okay to me, but you really need a hammer. You have 2 great anvils and one mediocre one. But neither of those can do much damage. You could drop the swordmasters and use the points to buy some dragon princes instead. I believe that they would be a more valuable choice in the army. Or even two units os silver helms with a musician in one of them. They don't hit as hard as the DP does, but having two units instead of one gives you more flexibility.

wamphyri101
18-08-2009, 11:04
Heya Pash, See you have lots of Phoenix guard now! or do you need to borrow some?

Anyway My view is:

Heroes [443pts]
(is the jewel worth it for a level 1 mage?)

(fine and solid enough)

(Drop the shield as with the great weapon and being in a unit its useless,
you now have 9 points spare for another spearmen if you wish, or mount the bsb to give him a
3+ save/4+ward)

Core [270pts]
10xArchers
PRetty standard core. Remember HE only really need 1 core in 1999pt games, so could always drop
the spearmen for another special, since your only using 4 of the 5 avalible)

Rare [200pts]
2xBolt Throwers
(shooty shooty death death...sorry been reading the grey seer book)

Special [1080pts]
Lion Chariot (are great but if your planning on sending it off alone then will need support)

12xSwordmasters - Full Command, Lion Standard (I personally would dithc the command except the champ, then take an extra 2 swordmasters)

(both units will serve you well and will be a bugger against daemons with your better ward, initative and fear. With the noble for extra killyness
I would'nt look forward to taking 2 of these units at once)

All in all I like your list pash. Alot better this time. Playing it wednesday?

Oh will need to grab that noble back soon as need him for my swordmaster champ

chippyman64
18-08-2009, 11:05
all i can think of is droping a noble and taking a unit of dragon princes

Signius
18-08-2009, 20:02
It looks okay to me, but you really need a hammer. You have 2 great anvils and one mediocre one. But neither of those can do much damage. You could drop the swordmasters and use the points to buy some dragon princes instead. I believe that they would be a more valuable choice in the army. Or even two units os silver helms with a musician in one of them. They don't hit as hard as the DP does, but having two units instead of one gives you more flexibility.

How are swordmasters a poor hammer? They will actually do more damage than dragon princes due to base size and unit cost. They are less maneuverable and have a lower armor save, but killing power is not what they are lacking.

As for the list generally, I think it looks pretty good, although if you are actually planning to cast much with the mage I would up him to level two. Otherwise I would drop the dusk jewel and grab another dispel scroll. As it is you will have 4 dice to cast one spell and drain magic (I'm assuming, otherwise you'll always have 2 dice left over unusable). Drain magic should probably be cast with 3 dice, which your current mage can't do. It is on the border of two and three though, so shield or arrow attraction + drain magic wouldn't be too bad of a magic phase I suppose.

Desert Rain
18-08-2009, 22:07
They deal more damage and are more vulnerable. But they are, as you say, less manouverable and sthey are slower. Since cavalry is faster it's more likely that they will get into a good position for a flank charge.

King_Pash
19-08-2009, 18:49

I find DP very nice and manouverable but unfortunatly not the hammer I need them to be. I would be expecting the SM to do a fair bit more damage as it doesn't really matter if they get a charge or not. Too many times my DPs have charged, not wiped out a unit and struggled with their puny S3 attacks.

Heya Pash, See you have lots of Phoenix guard now! or do you need to borrow some?

Anyway My view is:

Heroes [443pts]
(is the jewel worth it for a level 1 mage?)
(The mage will take HE Lore and only take the Shield. Since I only want to cast two spells - Shield and Drain Magic - it seems little point in paying an extra 20pts for effectively 1PD per magic phase and the ability to cast with an extra dice. For magic defence, this is all I need against an average opponent.)

(fine and solid enough)

(Drop the shield as with the great weapon and being in a unit its useless,
you now have 9 points spare for another spearmen if you wish, or mount the bsb to give him a
3+ save/4+ward)
(I Had considered this but thought that he needed more punch. That GW gives his S6 and with 3 attacks, he can really help out the PG in combat. I think with a 4+ ward he will be quite survivable and still be able to dish out pain. Also the Armour gives him a 6+ save, not a 5+ so the max he could have with mounted is 4+/4+).

Core [270pts]
10xArchers
PRetty standard core. Remember HE only really need 1 core in 1999pt games, so could always drop
the spearmen for another special, since your only using 4 of the 5 avalible)
(That could be an option actually. I just wanted something to get table quaters and protect my RBTs from meat shields like hounds. Might swap this one out for another chariot or something).

Rare [200pts]
2xBolt Throwers
(shooty shooty death death...sorry been reading the grey seer book)

Special [1080pts]
Lion Chariot (are great but if your planning on sending it off alone then will need support)
(Agreed, maybe give it a Tyranok buddy by dropping one of the core choices).

12xSwordmasters - Full Command, Lion Standard (I personally would dithc the command except the champ, then take an extra 2 swordmasters)
(I personally would prefer the extra banner and think they may be more effective than an extra two SMs in combat resolution. These guys aren't meant to take on anything huge, but an effective Chaos Warrior killers me thinks).

(both units will serve you well and will be a bugger against daemons with your better ward, initative and fear. With the noble for extra killyness
I would'nt look forward to taking 2 of these units at once)

All in all I like your list pash. Alot better this time. Playing it wednesday?

Unfortunately not. I will, however, get to test most of this and more on a game against John on Thurs so that'll be fun. We'll see how they do against some Nurgle buggers...

Oh will need to grab that noble back soon as need him for my swordmaster
champ
No probs, i'll bring him in next Weds.

all i can think of is droping a noble and taking a unit of dragon princes
Might actually do that. A unit of DPs for the same cost than a Noble might be just as effective. I'll consider it, cheers.

They deal more damage and are more vulnerable. But they are, as you say, less manouverable and sthey are slower. Since cavalry is faster it's more likely that they will get into a good position for a flank charge.
True, unfortunately, I expect to be outnumbered in almost every game and my opponents will likely have more than plenty meat shields (Skinks, Hounds, Marauders) to redirect my charge to where they would overrun to a useless location for a turn or two so their effectiveness might not be that great.

Thanks for all the advice guys, keep it coming!