PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Giant

Perigrine
17-08-2009, 23:58
ok so here is an interesting question that i cant seem to get anyone i know to agree upon. when you give a Chaos Giant the MoK does it get the strength bonus and frenzy or just the str bonus? as the entry is the army book is not over clear as to which is the correct situation.

Jushak
18-08-2009, 01:16
What's so unspecific about it? MoN and MoT work as usual, MoK and MoS give the effect given in brackets. Hardly unclear IMO.

sulla
18-08-2009, 04:38
I think it's a sensible question.

The mark of khorne gives frenzy.
Chaos giants with the mark of khorne are listed with s7 but it doesn't say that the normal effects of the mark don't apply, so the question is, do they have the abilitiy in brackets and the normal effects of the mark, or instead of it?

(Of course, even if they do have frenzy, you don't get an extra attack, just all the liabilities of frenzy).

Sarah S
18-08-2009, 04:43
I see nothing to indicate that the regular rules for the marks would not apply.
Slaanesh provides no additional benefit.
Khorne provides no benefit but provides drawbacks.

Yrrdead
18-08-2009, 06:59
I have never played it like that but after rereading through the WoC book there is nothing that says that the normal effect of the mark is replaced. Instead it seems more like additional effects. Precedent in the book being MoT, which in addition to the ward save also grants wizards a +1 to casting. I always just assumed that the parentheses indicated replacement.

Interesting question.

Zilverug
18-08-2009, 09:38
I always just assumed that the parentheses indicated replacement.

Same here.
I also have the feeling that was the intention, but one never knows...
Anyway, until I get a definite answer, I continue to assume it's a replacement.

But yes, it's an interesting question!

Witchblade
18-08-2009, 11:01
Heh, if MoK granted frenzy, Giants would actually become weaker when fielded with MoK.

Frenzy and MR 3, that would have been interesting as a MoK...

Perigrine
18-08-2009, 11:48
all of these points are valid so thanks for the input. In friendly games with people i know its not a huge issue as we just use that the str 7 replaces frenzy. But it would be nice to have a definitive answer.

I asked someone i know who works at GW and they were stumped by this to . Ill see if they have had time to look into it themselves, as he was quite surprised when with himself when he said he honestly didnt know.