PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions....

Magos Errant
18-08-2009, 02:15
Hey all,

Recently, since my 40k army is almost finished, I've decided to get into Fantasy. The only problem is, what army should I choose? I've been eying two that I like for fluff, and because the minis look pretty darn cool. The two armies are:

1) Bretonnians

2) Vampire Counts

Which do you guys think are better suited for a newbie? Which do you guys have more fun playing as, or against? Which army is more competitive, and which is less competitive? Do those questions more hinge on what kind of army list I choose, then on the army itself?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: Also, is this the proper place to post this kind of thread?

szlachcic
18-08-2009, 03:52
Both armies are pretty forgiving to new players. I have a Bret army and I personally hate the way it plays. I am used to playing Dark Elves so running forward and charging with knights is extremely boring to me.

As far as fun to play against, I think both can be fun to play against, but certain VC builds may be frowned upon from some people. I say just go with what you think looks cool and make sure you will like their playstyle. If you like heavily armored knights crashing into units go with Brets, but if you like being able to raise your troops back and using a lot of magic go with vamps. VCs are generally seen as more competitive, so make of that what you will.

Condottiere
18-08-2009, 04:46
This choice is a little more difficult.

The VCs have a better magic phase, the Brets can shoot; the Brets have overall more varied units, while the Brets are waiting for their update.

It comes down to your preference in aesthetics and playstyle, and possibly fluff.

The Red Scourge
18-08-2009, 08:42
Go with brets to learn all the basics of the game.

VC plays a quite limited game compared to other armies. No fleeing/baiting, no shooting, immunity to psychology and no break tests. They're still fun and the gothic horror theme is awesome, but I find that the best (most rewarding) armies has a little bit of everything :)

But in the end you should just go with the army that appeals you the most looks and themewise - since you're gonna end up painting 100+ minis, you might as well like the looks of them ;)

Also: by choosing brets you can claim that you stood by them when they were down, while choosing VC you will just be on the powercreep bandwagon :cheese:

Magos Errant
18-08-2009, 15:44
Thanks for the replies, guys! :D

@szlachcic: I see what you're saying about the Brets, how they're best use is with their Knights charging, but I find that pretty interesting, probably since I've never played a game of Fantasy before. :p I'll probably go with the Brets, seeing as how raising hordes of minions back to (un)life seems like something I might want to do later when I'm into the hobby a bit more. Thanks for the reply!

@Condottiere: I like the Brets, partly because it means that I can paint the knights in various schemes, to represent the various Knights' coat of arms. Also, I've already come up with fluff for the Brets, and I'm too lazy to come up with some more for the V&C. :rolleyes: Thanks for the comment!

@The Red Scourge: See my above answers as to why I'm going to be playing as Brets. :)

Also: by choosing brets you can claim that you stood by them when they were down, while choosing VC you will just be on the powercreep bandwagon :cheese: Heheh, I never thought of it that way. :D
Thanks for the reply!

Brother J
18-08-2009, 18:10
Congrats, you've saved yourself buying a 2,000 point army worth of models for a 1250 point Invocation spam force!

No really, it's good to see some people wanting to play Brets. If I could get over the whole "I'm a knight from the Holy Crusades" bit I'd probably play them...But I can't, so I'll settle for Chaos Knights.

Magos Errant
18-08-2009, 19:44
@Brother J: Heheh, Thanks! :D Chaos is cool too, especially Chaos Knights.

Urgat
18-08-2009, 20:08
Also, about brets, while people say they're point and click, boring, etc, it's also usually people who spam knights who say that. Theer's not only knights in the army book, I face pretty balanced armies with men at arms, bowmen etc and they're very fun to play with or against. They're certainly not worse than all those all knight chaos armies you see around.

Magos Errant
18-08-2009, 23:45
Also, about brets, while people say they're point and click, boring, etc, it's also usually people who spam knights who say that. Theer's not only knights in the army book, I face pretty balanced armies with men at arms, bowmen etc and they're very fun to play with or against. They're certainly not worse than all those all knight chaos armies you see around.
I see, thanks for the help, Urgat! Making a peasant heavy Bret army, would actually fit with the fluff I have. I think I'll post it here, tomorrow.

SuperArchMegalon
19-08-2009, 05:30
I see, thanks for the help, Urgat! Making a peasant heavy Bret army, would actually fit with the fluff I have. I think I'll post it here, tomorrow.

Woah there, Knight Errant, I know you're eager to get to battle but if you've never played Fantasy before I warn you, a heavy Peasent force may be a bit over your head... the Knights are the main feature of the army and its real strength. Either way, good luck! I'm starting Brets right now, too.

Condottiere
19-08-2009, 05:35
A fairly large peasant contingent does open up more tactical avenues, but you do need to find out how to handle them. Point and click with the Knight trains is easier.

Magos Errant
19-08-2009, 15:05
I see....Well, I'll just change my fluff a little bit, and create a more Knight Heavy army instead, for the moment. Thanks for helping me, SuperArchMegalon and Condottiere!

The Red Scourge
20-08-2009, 13:34
Get your peasants first, test their shortcomings, its easy to add knights later on :)

Magos Errant
20-08-2009, 14:34
@Scourge: I'll probably buy the or get the Fantasy Rulebook either for Christmas, or I may even buy from some the money I get from selling some stuff. After that, I'll get the Bretonnian Battalion set, and army book, plus some Heroes, and maybe some more peasants and knights.