PDA

View Full Version : A change in point of view.

zeep
18-08-2009, 06:44
With the rerelease of space hulk, a common of fluff has to be brought back into focus.

The most powerfull humans ever engineered, equiped with the most fantastic of weaponary, all while in the greatest set of personal armor known to the imperium of man... all of this means nothing to the genestealer. Your entire squad can die if simply two make it into hand to hand. It is time, my gaming brothers, to fear the nids once more.

The ancients remember.... but the new generation is caught up in the fluff of the indomitable terminator, unstopable and able to survive at the heart of a sun. All of this is true, and yet means nothing. It is the stealer, not the marine that is the pinnacle of engineered hand to hand combat design. This is the truth that you have forgotten.

The fluff is back, once again do stealers peel apart the outer shell to get to the tasty middles...

(And in a real note, it has always amazed me that people in this game will accept demons, sorcery, space mushrooms... yet scream "unrealistic" when a gene stealer rips into a tank using rules of physics that are true in the real world.)

alex03
18-08-2009, 07:02
Which is why I always wondered why the space marines would bother to send their rare (and apparently irreplaceable) terminators onto a hulk in the first place if it didn’t mean any more survivability. Give regular marines stormbolters and send them in, its less of a loss. Hell, you could probably fit two normal marines side by side and get more firepower as well compared to one terminator.

BrotherMoses
18-08-2009, 07:04
I forget why exactly can their claws penetrate the armour? Rulewise they're what? Rending or power weapons? Rending I could see. Power weapons would be a tad excessive.

Which is why I always wondered why the space marines would bother to send their rare (and apparently irreplaceable) terminators onto a hulk in the first place if it didnít mean any more survivability. Give regular marines stormbolters and send them in, its less of a loss. Hell, you could probably fit two normal marines side by side and get more firepower as well compared to one terminator.

I think a big part of it is that terminator armour is better equipped for ship boarding actions especially in a hostile environment like a space hulk where there may be little to no air, or it could even be open to the void of space in parts. Theres just a lot of hazards.

DuskRaider
18-08-2009, 07:11
Genestealers have rending. With implant attack, it makes it worse.

BrotherMoses
18-08-2009, 07:18
Ok, just cuz they're rending. Doesn't sound that scary, but then there are a LOT of them.

But then I'm notoriously bad at rolling 6's to wound. :mad:

DuskRaider
18-08-2009, 07:25
Oh yeah... it gets scary. Even worse when they are accompanying a Broodlord *shudder*. Yeah, 'Stealers can cause some ruckus, Sunday 12 of them destroyed my Vindicator (which took 3 of them with it when it blew up).

Terminator armour is probably your best bet against them, you're physically larger and stronger, better protected, and have an invulnerable (which is due to the Crux Terminatus, right?).

As was said, with boarding action, Terminator armour is preferred due to the ability to exist in a vacuum, and the fact it has better protection against the "elements" of being in space. Some regular PA will do the same, but for a relatively short time compared to TDA.

That and who doesn't think watching a group of 10 foot tall bad asses walking through a drifting wreckage hunting down some horrifyingly creepy aliens isn't awesome?

ReveredChaplainDrake
18-08-2009, 07:45
Terminator Armor also allows the wearers to teleport onto and off of the Space Hulk with ease. And yes, it's the Crux Terminatus that originally gave the 5+ IV. (Abaddon's Crux Terminatus used to give him a 4+ IV. Only in 40k does "older" mean "significantly tougher".) Now all Terminators, regardless of faction, come with Crux Terminatus built in.

Comparing a Terminator's rules to a Genestealer's rules is hardly fair. Genestealers have always taken the nerfbat to the face every time their rules get redone. In 2nd, they used to be Str6, which back then applied some ridiculous armor save modifiers (2+ became 5+; sound familiar?) and did all sorts of ugly to tanks. No surprise that they were broken, but this was 2nd ed; everything was broken. In 3rd's BGB, they got turned Str4, but all became Power Weapons, which was still too powerful when Genestealers were cleaving through Marine squads like Banshees on crack. The 3rd ed Codex Genestealers traded away their Power Weapons for Rending on the hit roll because all Power Weapons was too broken. Then Rending on the hit roll was whined about and Rending got nerfed, taking the 4th ed Genestealers with them. Now you have Scuttling Genestealers that are only Str4 base, Rend only on the wound, and only do D3 extra to vehicles on the rend. Still people complain. It seems like Tyranid opponents, particularly Marines, won't be happy until Genestealers are no more potent than Gaunts in CC.

Fluff-wise, Terminators and Genestealers match up a little more consistently.

BrotherMoses
18-08-2009, 07:59
As a Blood Angel player, I feel your pain at the nerfing of rending. Especially as I roll 6's fairly consistently to hit, but very rarely to wound. :wtf:

AFnord
18-08-2009, 08:21
But with feeder tendrils, the nerf is not nearly as bad as some people make it sound. Yes, you need a brood lord to make it point efficient, but a genestealer up close and personal is still scary! They strike before almost anything, have a high WS, and combine this with feeder tendrils & rending and you have something that people really don't want to get close to.

Which is why I always wondered why the space marines would bother to send their rare (and apparently irreplaceable) terminators onto a hulk in the first place if it didn’t mean any more survivability. Give regular marines stormbolters and send them in, its less of a loss. Hell, you could probably fit two normal marines side by side and get more firepower as well compared to one terminator.
People have already mentioned that terminators are far better suited to survive in an hostile environment (remember, only parts of the hulk will actually have air). Also, while genestealers are common on board space hulks, they are far from the only threat. What if there are orks on board? Terminators can (fluff wise) take on hordes and hordes of orks. What if a nest of ambulls? Or simply a group of horrible mutants? Or something yet unheard of? Terminators are really the best ones for the job. Remember, the terminator armour was designed for boarding actions and in fighting in confined spaces.

AndrewGPaul
18-08-2009, 09:11
Which is why I always wondered why the space marines would bother to send their rare (and apparently irreplaceable) terminators onto a hulk in the first place if it didnít mean any more survivability. Give regular marines stormbolters and send them in, its less of a loss. Hell, you could probably fit two normal marines side by side and get more firepower as well compared to one terminator.

It does mean more survivability - Terminator armour still provides more protection from a 'stealer attack than standard Power Armour, as well as mounting more firepower - a storm bolter rather than a standard bolter. Marines do use power armoured troops on larger Space Hulks, as it's easier for them to get around.

Netfreakk
18-08-2009, 09:11
Quick question,

Was the original Space hulk still Blood angels? I sorta remember the old PC game and I thought they were bone white terminator armor which would indicate Dark Angels. But it was a long time ago and I could just be having fuzzy memory problems. =P

Vaktathi
18-08-2009, 09:34
the big problem with rending was that they started giving it to *everything*. When it was pretty much just a Genestealer/tyranid rule, it wasn't so bad (even though I'm not a fan of anything that simply relies on rolling 6's and effectively not caring about relative WS or T) but then GW gave Rending to harlies, death company, assault cannons, etc... and it simply became too ridiculous on so many platforms.

Bloodknight
18-08-2009, 09:59
@Netfreakk: the original SH featured Blood Angels. One computer game also featured BA, it was even named "Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels". Deathwing was also featured later in an expansion set for 1st edition SH.

AndrewGPaul
18-08-2009, 12:04
Space Hulk: Blood Angels in their return to The Sin of Damnation

Deathwing expansion: Deathwing, in the campaign which gave the comapny its name and colours.

Genestealer expansion: not sure. There are a couple of missions, but not sure if they're a campaign or not.

Space Hulk computer game: Deathwing, in a new campaign (although it also included the missions from the boardgame)

Space Hulk 2: Vengeance of the Blood Angels computer game: Blood Angels, obviously.

Space Hulk 2nd edition: Blood Angels again, in a new campaign.

There were also published official campaigns for Space Wolves, in the 1st and 2nd edition (although only the 2nd edition campaign, IIRC, included special rules for them being Wolf Guard) and for Ultramarines in power armour. You'd have to consult the Space Hulk Campaigns book to see what chapters took part in the various other campaigns.

Occulto
18-08-2009, 12:26
@Netfreakk: the original SH featured Blood Angels. One computer game also featured BA, it was even named "Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels". Deathwing was also featured later in an expansion set for 1st edition SH.

The version on my mobile phone is Blood Angels. :D

Haven't played it much, but it was worth it just for the expression on my girlfriend's face when I downloaded it. :p

IAMNOTHERE
18-08-2009, 12:40
Against conventional opponents, TDA is the right choice for ship to ship boarding actions.

Against Stealers? Debatable. The only reason to possibly board a Hulk is for it's Technology otherwise they'd just fusion bomb it back into atoms.

Fighting Stealers in a close environment is suicide but someone has to do it. are the l33t of the l33t 1st coy gonna wimp out or step forward?

They're going to be the ones into the breach because that's their job.

DavidSL
18-08-2009, 13:10
I'm glad someone brought this up, as I haven't been involved with the hobby for the last 8 or so years, but got Space Hulk for my Birthday many moons ago, and absolutely loved it. If someone came round to play now, I'd happily drop what I was doing and set it up, if I can remember how to play!

When I was collecting Tyranids (I can't remember how I started, I think it was simply that they were the most 'radical' race in the game at the time) I couldn't believe how powerful an army they were. This all went along with the stories that appeared in the Codex and history of 40k at the time, Tyranids were to be feared! Setting up a game against Tyranids was always a little unnerving, I remember my friend seeing the Carnifex rules and nearly wetting himself.

Genestealers were the backbone of the Tyranid army, and it's sad to hear that GW has weakened them in the game, as I always felt their rules were fair and a good reflection of the Tyranid race as a whole. Yes, they were powerful - but they had to get close to be so. They moved fast, so most armies would try shooting them all down before they could get into hand-to-hand combat. I loved this! From what I hear, 40k has changed a lot since I played.

Anyway, I just thought I'd contribute - I'm new to the board but I absolutely eat-up all this GW discussion, good to be back into the hobby!

EVIL INC
18-08-2009, 14:27
You have to remember that the game has evolved since the first time Space Hulk was relased. The nids have a lot more stuff now. I'm waiting to see if the new space hulk takes any of that into consideration. I'm assuming it does at least in part as it has a broodlord.

Yes, the invulnerable save comes from the crux. It has been YEARS since I read the exact reason but isnt it because it is made from the melted down armor of the primarch or emporor or something. Been too long for me to remember exactly.

Yes, termies are more suited for those actions.
1. Ability to teleport in and out
2. Better for working in space. Reguler armor can operate in space too but not for as long or as safely.
3. Can operate more independantly for longer periods of time.
4. Power fists are much more handy when it comes to "making doors". They are much less restricted in movement.
5. Remember at that time, the nids were new so the imperium "didnt know" near as much about them as they do now so were not fully aware of just how "sharp" stealer claws were.

It has also been a while but didnt they also make rules for having reguler guys added to the game as well as other races? Seems that it wouldnt be hard to add in rules for that in the starter box. If not there, at least in white dwarf articles.

It is stupid to only make a few copies of it.
1. As populer as it is, they dont have to worry about popularity wearing off. It will stay a big seller. More then big enough to justify keeping it running.
2. Even though it allows them to jack up the price on the original run, over time, they could make much much more even if the price was lower. Just in the 2nd run alone, they could double the profits after production costs ect.
3. It would boost sales of thier reguler models. This is especially so if they were to release aditional rules and scenarios. examples of this could be adding in reguler marines, other races, vehicles, dreads and such, larger scale ship encounters.
4. Easily have other reasons but those alone suffice.

IAMNOTHERE
18-08-2009, 14:38
Yep the Crux contains parts of the Emperors Melted down armour but I think the original reason TDA was used was because it could stand the "colossal high speed impact of micro orbital debris" or somthing pretty similar.

Marshal Sinclair
18-08-2009, 15:46
People are of course aware that Space Hulk uses a rules system completely unrelated to 40k, and therefore rules such as rending and invulnerable saves do not apply. There are no saves in Space Hulk!

BrotherMoses
18-08-2009, 16:28
Yeah I have to admit that I think its dumb to do a limited release. I would probably get one myself, but money is tight right now. I would love to have those Blood Angel terminators.

Charistoph
18-08-2009, 18:10
Curiosity question, for those armies outside of the Imperium, what units would you use to invade a Space Hulk potentially filled with Genestealers and Orks?

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
18-08-2009, 18:14
Curiosity question, for those armies outside of the Imperium, what units would you use to invade a Space Hulk potentially filled with Genestealers and Orks?

Why would they invade a space hulk? The Imperial does it to retrieve important tech that they cannot recreate themselves. Chaos may want that tech, but they also have Terminators.

AFnord
18-08-2009, 18:20
I could imagine harlequins (to prevent any daemon/chaos threat) & striking scorpions to be good candidates for eldar.

It's questionable if Tau would have much of an interest in exploring space hulks, but if they were to do that, then Stealth suits, or (if they become more common) the suit type that shadowsun uses should fit the bill (burst cannons would be quite useful in such confined spaces).

ReveredChaplainDrake
18-08-2009, 18:23
Tau Crisis Suits come to mind.

AFnord
18-08-2009, 18:26
Are not crisis suits a bit too big? Most of those corridors are roughly human sized.

zeep
18-08-2009, 18:46
there were no saves in the first one simply because at the time all genestealer attacks counted as power weapons, and the terminator close combat attacks didnt allow saves due to the strength mod on the power fist.

Putting in a save mechanic just to void it out would have been kinda redundant. ;)

I have to think that the tau would use lots of drones and kroot. It just seems their way.

Marshal Sinclair
18-08-2009, 18:48
They were not power weapon attacks at that time, they became such in 3rd Ed. There are no saves to make the system more simple. Back in 2nd Ed (when Space Hulk came out) Terminators got saves against power weapons anyway, since they had a 3+ save on 2D6, and a power weapon was a simple -4 (?) modifer to that save.

wilycoyote
18-08-2009, 22:44
Of course the whole point and balance of Space Hulk was the termies firepower (usually via overwatch) to keep the stealers at bay, if they got to close combat you could kiss your armoured butt goodbye. Simple dice off mechanic, with the only fluff being that the claws could, nothing more nothing less.

Of course the exception for CC termies was lightning claws, these beauties and a bit of luck and you could hold off the horde - till they hit you from both sides.

Space Hulk was and promises to be a very balanced boardgame, that rewards skillful play on both sides.

Captain Micha
19-08-2009, 00:27
I forget why exactly can their claws penetrate the armour? Rulewise they're what? Rending or power weapons? Rending I could see. Power weapons would be a tad excessive.

I think a big part of it is that terminator armour is better equipped for ship boarding actions especially in a hostile environment like a space hulk where there may be little to no air, or it could even be open to the void of space in parts. Theres just a lot of hazards.

Space Marine suits are sealed.

hell guardsmen suits are sealed, depending on the regiment in question.

As for other races, I like to think tau would use Stealth Suits to do the job. In theory the burst cannon is a perfect close in weapon capable of laying down a devastating level of firepower. And the stealth field of the suits would probably aide the Tau in infiltration. Given that they also have a fusion gun upgrade they could also if need be blast through obstacles.

The reason to go in? Stop it from landing on a sept world and infesting it.

Recover Warp Technology

any number of reasons really.

Necrons, .... I'd hazard a guess here, but I'd say Wraith would probably be what they'd send. They can fly through walls, need I say more?

lequaye
19-08-2009, 00:50
I may be well off but was there not a expansion release that contained scouts and Tyranid warriors and even genteel hybrids?
Or was that a separate board game based in a Tyranid hive ship?

As for Tau going into a spacehulk, I think they would send in some drones, see some scary bugs and then destroy the whole thing just to be safe. It's just their way.

Captain Micha
19-08-2009, 01:07
Actually there is a very strong reason as to why you wouldn't simply just shoot it externally or "blow it up".

You'd create many large falling pieces instead of one falling piece, or you could cause it to fall towards a given planet. Which would be very bad indeed.

It would be better for the Tau to infiltrate a Space Hulk and try to restart it's engines and point it away from the planet.

Occulto
19-08-2009, 01:10
Actually there is a very strong reason as to why you wouldn't simply just shoot it externally or "blow it up".

You'd create many large falling pieces instead of one falling piece, or you could cause it to fall towards a given planet. Which would be very bad indeed.

It would be better for the Tau to infiltrate a Space Hulk and try to restart it's engines and point it away from the planet.

It'd make for a really boring board game.

Fixed that for you. :p

Captain Micha
19-08-2009, 01:12
Of course there is that very important point as well.

*tips hat to Occulto*

I mean really are we going to start arguing what makes sense in 40k? :p

Charistoph
19-08-2009, 01:20
Of course there is that very important point as well.

*tips hat to Occulto*

I mean really are we going to start arguing what makes sense in 40k? :p

To true, that's why I didn't bother with "Why?" but rather looked at "What?". It would create opportunities to use something other than the basic set and use the models you already have.

I could see the Tau using a Jump-less XV8 for the heavy work, but Stealths for more lighter work.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
19-08-2009, 01:33
I may be well off but was there not a expansion release that contained scouts and Tyranid warriors and even genteel hybrids?
Or was that a separate board game based in a Tyranid hive ship?

To true, that's why I didn't bother with "Why?" but rather looked at "What?". It would create opportunities to use something other than the basic set and use the models you already have.

I could see the Tau using a Jump-less XV8 for the heavy work, but Stealths for more lighter work.

I'd love to create rules for the other races. I already created some new characters for Heroquest (Wood Elf, Empire Warrior Priest, Chameleon Skink), this is pretty much the same thing.

Cane
19-08-2009, 01:45
In a corridor environment like a space hulk; genestealers are undoubtedly much more deadly than their 40k skirmish-battle counterparts. We've all seen the movie franchise called 'Alien' so we know how deadly xenos can be in similar conditions and I can't wait to exercise my nerdiness and exclaim, "GAME OVER MAN" during a SH game :chrome:

Captain Micha
19-08-2009, 01:49
Do the units follow the same rules they do in 40k statwise and ability wise?

blackroyal
19-08-2009, 02:05
...I mean really are we going to start arguing what makes sense in 40k?
Yes, all the time. Welcome to Warseer.

OT: I'm excited to see what they do in terms of modernizing the rules.

Marshal Sinclair
19-08-2009, 02:13
Do the units follow the same rules they do in 40k statwise and ability wise?

Space Hulk is not 40k. It's nothing like 40k. It shares no rules with 40k. The only similarities is that there are Terminators and Genestealers. To see if you hit anything you roll a special dice. 4 (5?) sides have a miss icon, 2(1?) has a hit icon. If you roll a hit, you killed a Genestealer. SH is all about managing your tokans, managing which direction your guys are facing, and hoping you don't run out of heavy flamer shots before the stealers reach you. The Heavy Flamer is perhaps the best weapon in the game. It not only kills something (normally) in the tile you aim at, it completely blocks off that tile until the next turn.

SH is not 40k.

Captain Micha
19-08-2009, 02:19
Is that true for the new set as well?

canucklhead
19-08-2009, 02:32
I might comment on the potential for a Tau exploration force on a SH. The Tau would most certainly send FW's, as they never leave home without them. Either backed up by drones, or pathfinders. All armed with Carbines, which are excellent corridor combat weapons.

Stealth teams with burst cannons would be my next guess, but all starting with the absolutely mandatory, big trouble if they aren't there, ubiquitous group of fire warriors.

EVIL INC
19-08-2009, 03:53
Remember, orks would "invade it" just to clear it out so THEY could ride in it.

zeep
19-08-2009, 03:59
Is that true for the new set as well?

Nope. There are no icon dice in the new version. Standard D6's. While there was a lot of license in the second version of SH, The original was not as extreme of a simplification.

BrotherMoses
19-08-2009, 05:39
I might comment on the potential for a Tau exploration force on a SH. The Tau would most certainly send FW's, as they never leave home without them. Either backed up by drones, or pathfinders. All armed with Carbines, which are excellent corridor combat weapons.

Stealth teams with burst cannons would be my next guess, but all starting with the absolutely mandatory, big trouble if they aren't there, ubiquitous group of fire warriors.

lol Tau and genestealers reminds me of the events in a certain Ciaphas Cain novel... Ahhh those stupid stupid kroot.

HereticLosMorte
19-08-2009, 14:45
just throwing this out there, if it hasn't already been.

saying termi armor is used for survivability in space and no air, you're forgetting regular marine armor also can be used in space and low/no air environments. regular marine armor has the built in air system, can be sealed completely shut, and for a low/no gravity environment, their boots can become magnetized, to stick to the hull/bulkheads/"floor".
marines use regular armor when attacking airless moons, or meteors w/ enemies on them.

they also can be teleported onto a hulk.

it is simply better for the terminators to go in as they have the invulnerable save that regular armored marines do not, as well as being the more experienced fighters, to better deal with any complications.

ZenPaladin
19-08-2009, 15:46
Hmm I'd agree with Drones to start with on the Tau.

They would be perfect for the initial investigation. Once they have colected data about the foes and or maped the thing as completely and safely as possible. Then they would pobibly compose some strike teams.

Pathfinders in special (never before seen) battle/space suits would probibly be next in. Backed up by squads of Firewarriors and Stealth Teams.

I can't immagine them moving in XV8's or any other heavy suits. Tough you might see some of the higher ranking firewarriors outside their suits to lead.

Probibly a contingent of Fio scientists as well.

Lord-Caerolion
19-08-2009, 16:05
just throwing this out there, if it hasn't already been.

saying termi armor is used for survivability in space and no air, you're forgetting regular marine armor also can be used in space and low/no air environments. regular marine armor has the built in air system, can be sealed completely shut, and for a low/no gravity environment, their boots can become magnetized, to stick to the hull/bulkheads/"floor".
marines use regular armor when attacking airless moons, or meteors w/ enemies on them.

they also can be teleported onto a hulk.

it is simply better for the terminators to go in as they have the invulnerable save that regular armored marines do not, as well as being the more experienced fighters, to better deal with any complications.

Yes, but Terminators are better at surviving in hostile environments. Remember, the suit the prototype was based on was designed to withstand microdebris impacts and work inside ship generators (or something, alls I can remember is it was something like that, and damned dangerous).

The other upsides to Terminator armour are that it's a much more stable firing platform, which is great when every shot needs to count, and they can wield chainfists, for when that door won't open, and you need it open now.

Plus, I think power armour needs to be modified a fair bit before it can readily teleport. Sure, you can teleport from the ship, but Guardsmen could be teleported like that, to my knowledge. What Terminator Armour gives you is a trip back. With the sheer size of most Hulks, Marines can't afford to have to fight back to the exterior, and hope to find an area for a Thunderhawk to dock.

Tarquinn
19-08-2009, 16:07
Yep the Crux contains parts of the Emperors Melted down armour but I think the original reason TDA was used was because it could stand the "colossal high speed impact of micro orbital debris" or somthing pretty similar.

Nah. The real reason Terminator Armour got it's invlunerable save was that GW realized a couple of months after the release of the third edtion of 40k, that a 2+ save alone simply wasn't cutting it. Like, at all.

The Terminator Armour was pretty established and well documented in the previous editions and never had (and needed) an invulnerable save. That changed when GW came up with the new armour system and shortly after that, the magical Crux came around.

Narf
19-08-2009, 16:08
terminator armour was, according to the fluff, originally designed for close quarters boarding and tunnel fighting etc

in the original space hulk there are no armour or invulnerable saves, i'm hoping they're keeping to this in the new version aswell.

As to other races, when compared to terminators

tau should have higher numbers, say 3 to every terminator, but no combat ability, equal shooting

orks should have less shooting, a better combat ability, and about the same amount of numbers as tau

eldar aspect warriors would be about the same as terminators, but with more action points

chaos - same as loyalists, maybe different weapons

Guard - weaker all round then tau, but 4 for every terminator normally

alas as this game wont be supported by GW after release, then its up to everyone else to sort rules, this does mean if you dont like them, then make some yourself!

AndrewGPaul
19-08-2009, 16:26
Terminator armour had (possibly as an option) a built-in refractor field - a 5+ unmodifiable save - right from the beginning.

Also, most people* need the extra shielding provided by Terminator armour to survive a teleport - otherwise the beam does horrible things to youre central nervous system.

*other than Orks - they can walk in and out of teleport beams to their hearts' content.

Souleater
19-08-2009, 17:01
I myself am looking forward to teaching the new generation why their Terminators should fear genestealers with gloating anticpation.

Ekranoplan
19-08-2009, 17:10
There must be some chapters that have specialized units of tactical marines for fighting on a genestealer infested hulk, but they are the exception and not the rule.

Space Hulks also come in all shapes and sizes. Some may be small enough to blow up, but most are as big as an asteroid. They will have their own gravity to keep it together. It would require some pretty instense firepower to destroy it. Also, a cleansed space hulk would make a great base and contains many technological secrets of ages past. There is potentially something for every race on a space hulk. The Imperium only destroyes hulks as a last resort. If there are no marines or other specialized forces to cleanse the hulk, or if these forces fail, the hulk must be destroyed to prevent it from threatening any nearby planets. Space Hulks can potentially have nothing on them, but there is a fair chance that it will be infested with orks, genestealers, possessed by some chaos demon, or contain entire armies of traitors.

Marshal Sinclair
19-08-2009, 21:28
GW released rules for Marines on board Space Hulks. I don't remember all the specifics, but they had 6 action points, 2 more than Terminators, which made them as fast as Genestealers.

Abaddonshand
19-08-2009, 21:38
Having played the new version yesterday, I can confirm that it's pretty much as Master Sinclair described ruleswise. The symbol dice have been replaced with normal D6s, but they do exactly the same job anyway, just substitute numbers for symbols. I posted a review of the set (although didn't go into rules detail for fear of an IP breach) in the B&C news forum post regarding space hulk. Check it out if your interested.

onidemon
19-08-2009, 22:32
I did in fact read the tactical marine rules for 1st edition Space Hulk in an old White Dwarf not too long ago, so even back then you didn't have to take strictly terminators

Performance wise, the tactical marines moved faster and had access to heavy weapons. In turn, their basic bolters were less effective, and they stood even less of a chance in close combat than the terminator.

Raalyk Saaris
20-08-2009, 02:47
I like it how terminator suits are supposed to be the epitome of atmosphere-lacking environments, yet there is a model with no helmet... *facepalm*

Condottiere
20-08-2009, 09:03
Faith is my armour and oxygen.

sonsoftherock
20-08-2009, 19:48
I could imagine harlequins (to prevent any daemon/chaos threat) & striking scorpions to be good candidates for eldar.

I seem to remember an old citadel journal with rules for harlequins in space hulk and even a couple of missions?

There were counters allowing the harlequins to "death dance" and they could take some of the different characters.

I'm not sure it was especially balanced but it was fun for a change of pace. (I really don't want to think about how long ago this was!)

Cheers

Richard