PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so I've inherited some Orcs...

Escaflowne_Z
18-08-2009, 10:46
...from my brother who never did anything with them. He split the cost of two of the old (6th edition?) starter boxes with another person and took the Orc half. I'm going to do one more trial game of Fantasy at 1,000 points to see if I really want to get involved in another plastic/pewter addiction (40k and Battletech aren't enough? :cries:).

So, assuming I start actually spending real money on this game, I'm interested in some general ideas for collecting O&G. I've been poking about here for a week or so getting ideas, but more input is always welcome from the people in the know.

What I've got already is:

Codex and some movement trays.
32 boyz with 2x choppas, with two sets of full command.

24 Arrer boyz (I've read that they are best treated as regular boyz that can shoot occasionally)

Big Boss on boar with choppa and shield.

2x Boar Chariot.

1x metal Giant (pinning him will be a pain, and I have a bad track record dropping my own models)

I have ready access to goblin shamans, goblins and squig hoppers thanks to extra models from the roommate's pure NG force. Going forward, these are the models I'm interested in getting:

Two of the Black Orc boxes (new to plastic, I hear). Plastic Warboss kit. Orc warrior block with hw+s. Orc Shaman. Rock Lobba. Two Pump wagons. And that gorgeous new Azhag model coming out soon. As you can see, the goblin regiments and Night Goblins don't really interest me.

One thing I very much like about this codex is its very randomness. I prefer to play for fun, so sheer bloodthirstiness isn't that important. My regular opponents would be Lizardmen, pure Night Goblins, high elves, Empire, and wood elves. Pretty much all armies would be 1,500-2,500 points. If you've made it this far, thanks for reading my 3AM ramble, and thanks for any words of wisdom!

Avian
18-08-2009, 11:47
I would definitely consider getting some fast cavalry (wolf riders are usually slightly better than spider riders, but that depends on the terrain) and a couple of spear chukkas.

I also have a greenskin tactics page (link in my signature), which might be useful for you.

Good luck!

Mercules
18-08-2009, 18:23
I highly recommend Avian's page.

I play Ogre Kingdoms(he also has an Ogre Tactics section) and I ended up playing an all Night Goblin army in a campaign(having a BLAST although I haven't won a game in the campaign yet). Avian's page helped me a bit with building that Night Goblin army. He has a lot of other very good advice that other armies could use.

Wolf Riders could be very handy, especially if you use them in tandem with your Chariots. For example, move the Wolf Riders to a point where they can get a flank charge on a unit, then charge the flank with them and front rank with the Chariot. The combo of them negating ranks and the Chariot's impact and other hits should allow you to win combats easily.

Boar Chariots are nice, hard enough to hurt things and not subject to animosity.

Black Orcs... well... everyone likes Black Orcs. :)

Escaflowne_Z
18-08-2009, 19:54
Thanks to both of you, I'm checking that out now.

Grimgormx
18-08-2009, 22:27
I Agree, You need wolf riders, spear chukas, Savage boar boyz.

Tarian
18-08-2009, 23:32
It seems for O&G, quantity is the key. At least that's what I've seen personally. The "small" "elite" O&G seem to get eaten by the real small elite armies. (HE, WoC, etc.)

The SkaerKrow
19-08-2009, 18:25
You may want to pick up Battle for Skull Pass in order to net some cheap Night Goblin units and Spider Riders, as well as the handy pocket rulebook.

Escaflowne_Z
19-08-2009, 20:30
Alright, for now, I'm going to hold off on thinking about any boar boyz, since there is a rumor of them going to plastic soon.

As for spear chukkas, I understand that they are dirt cheap, but realistically speaking, won't they generally need very high to-hit numbers? 5+ at best unless a large target has parked right in front of them within 24", right? My one friend just got an Engine of the Gods, but that's the only large target I know of in this gaming group other than my own giant.

@Avian: That is a very nice O&G guide you've got there.

Avian
19-08-2009, 20:32
Thanks.

A Spear Chukka is BS3, so within 24" it will hit on 4+, and you can expect most shots to be within that range.

Tarian
19-08-2009, 20:37
That being said, you do need *something* to deal with big critters. Most large monsters won't want to be in front of that many Chukkas even if they have a bad to hit ratio on the chance that they all roll spectacularly well.

(That, and 4s long and 3s short isn't too bad shooting against, say, a dragon or giant.)

Nuada
19-08-2009, 20:47
Two Pump wagons. And that gorgeous new Azhag model coming out soon.

Pump wagons are great, i'd go for at least 2 and see how you feel about them :D ..and that new Azhag is in next months WD.

kardar233
20-08-2009, 01:50
Codex

This is what I have to say to you, petty 40K convert! :p

BTW, what faction in CBT do you play?

Escaflowne_Z
20-08-2009, 10:41
@Avian: Oh, lookie there, BS3 sure enough. Ok, my estimation of them just went up some. Now I have to decide whether I need a rock lobba or two spear chukkas more...

@kardar233: Northwind Highlanders/House Liao for me. Only been playing a year, but I've been a huge fan of the BT novels for many years. And I'm still looking for the killa kan entry in the O&G codex and I think I might be missing a page! :P

kardar233
21-08-2009, 01:37
I'd say 2 Spear Chukkas, they're generally more useful and more reliable.

Trolls are the Killa Kans of Fantasy O&G. Not all that much damage, pretty resilient, not very reliable and hilarious.

BTW, if you've played DoW:SS, I've got an Amaris Behemoth joke that I've been sitting on for a week...

Escaflowne_Z
21-08-2009, 10:53
Ok, so in celebration of finally getting my new competition grade rifle (us silly gun-toting Alaskans!), I decided to also jump right into ordering stuff. Here's what's coming in a couple weeks:

Warboss plastic kit, Orc warriors regiment (hw+s planned), Orc Shaman, 1 box of Black Orcs, two pump wagons, and two spear chukkas. With what I already have, this can push me up to 1,500+ points pretty easily (Army Builder is a beautiful thing).

@kardar: Nah, skipped that DoW, but go ahead, I might get it anyway. :D

Fobster
21-08-2009, 11:20
I was going to suggest you save yourself the hassle until the O&G get a new book. But since you've already jumped in, I'd suggest you convert some of the two handed boys into hw and shield.

The shields can be bought via the website and all you then have to do is cut off the left hand weapon. I'd make one unit of 25. Then you can use the spare ones as savage orcs, with a the addition of a few tattoos, escpecially as they work best with 2 hand weaps and in a relatively small unit.

I'd also look into buying the goblins from the current boxed set off of ebay. Then convert the spears to handweapons. Depending on how fussy you want to be you can just cut off the spear and reglue the tip so it's like a dagger/knife type weapon. The spider riders also go for cheaply and they can make a cost effective light cav unit, rather buying the wolf rider unit.

To be honest orcs are not a hell of a lot of fun these days so i'd resist spending too much money.

Harwammer
21-08-2009, 16:48
I always enjoy playing my orcs.

The best way to play them is against other greenskin players and have an 'orcfest'!

kardar233
22-08-2009, 03:59
Well, first watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO3MttgvHUY

Then:
"Look. Stone Rhinos. STONE RHINOS! Our enemies hide in Clan technology, the cowards, THE FOOLS! We will.... take away.... their.... Clan Technology.
VICTOR!"

Escaflowne_Z
22-08-2009, 04:23
Heh heh, nice. Although, I think the Chaos champion might have been a little more reluctant to take on a pair of Stone Rhinos. :D

Blood for the Blood God! *looks up and wets power armor*

kardar233
22-08-2009, 20:55
Especially my... custom variant. Four TC'd Headcappers and a bundle of Medium pulses will put a dent in anyone's day.

Back on topic, well.... um.... maybe get another Shaman? Big Waaagh spells are generally quite effective, so having another Wizard should help get stuff like Bash 'Em Ladz off.