PDA

View Full Version : Unit Affecting Abilities + Characters / Look out sir!+ rank and file

Horus0001
18-08-2009, 12:57
Probably a fairly simple question but i was wondering if unit buffing affects (notably warshrines and cauldrons) affect any characters in the unit as well.

Its only came up a few times in the countless months of using my warshrine but i usually play it without affecting the characters but recently noticing people using banners in units to buff characters it got me thinking.

While im making a thread i was looking closer into the look out sir rules. It states that if the unit has 5 or more "rank and file" troops then the characters get to use the rule, else they dont. I came up against an oponent who convinced me that it was 5 rank and file, in the front rank, but looking at the early pages of the rulebooks "rank and file" definition it may seem that they just have to be in the unit, irrelevant of where they actually sit. Im wondering how its played elsewhere.

nosferatu1001
18-08-2009, 12:59
1) It affects the characters while they are in the unit
2) RnF come from anywhere in the unit - you can be 1 wide and 20 deep and still have 5 RnF. Champions however do not count to this, normally an issue only when you get small cavalry units or have really shot down an infantry unit.

Necromancy Black
18-08-2009, 13:41
It's 5 RnF models anywhere in the unit. Your right, and the rules have no mention at all that they must be 5 of them in the front.

If they did it would be ridiculous, because as nosferatu1001 said, Champions don't count as RnF when shooting.

"Rank and File" are non characters, and the rules clearly state that Champions count as characters for all purposes of shooting. An FAQ even confirmed this. So if you need 5 RnF models in the front who would either have to form them 6 wide without a unit champion or field them 7 wide.

Arnizipal
18-08-2009, 14:16
1) It affects the characters while they are in the unit
Indeed. When characters join a unit they effectively become part of it, so anything that affects the unit affects the character as well.

Mercules
18-08-2009, 14:26
Indeed. When characters join a unit they effectively become part of it, so anything that affects the unit affects the character as well.

And the more difficult question is what happens to the Buffs when the character leaves? In most cases they stick with the Unit.

Arnizipal
18-08-2009, 14:39
I don't have the book with me here, but IIRC you're allowed to choose if it affects the character or the unit he just left.
At least that's how it workls for Remains In Play spells.

Horus0001
18-08-2009, 18:11
Thanks for the replies so far thats certainly cleared that one up (and will stop me getting quite so paranoid about bolt throwers) but one further questions came up while reading about characters leaving a unit.

If a character was to join a buffed up unit at a later stage, would the buff be transfered accross to him since he is now a part of that unit?

Arnizipal
18-08-2009, 18:30
It would affect him as well. See rulebook page 110.