PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of Krunky Boomboom

Malorian
18-08-2009, 17:49
The Tale of Krunky Boomboom!

When Krunky was born he didn't seem like anything special... in fact since he seemed to be mentally retarded (even for an ogre) many of his kin expected him to end up chewing on the wrong side of a handgun...

Fast forward thirty years and Krunky Boomboom is now the co-leader of a good sized tribe and leads many raids on... well on whatever he wants...

How did this happen? Well his brother, Biggy Boomboom, quickly came to power and with him he brought his larger brother for protection. It all works out fairly well really, Biggy gives the orders, Krunky follows them, Krunky brings back food and riches from his raids, Biggy eats and spends them. Just one big happy circle of slaughter and brotherly love...

We join Krunky now as he leads another one of his raids in what is to become "The Tale of Krunky Boomboom!"

So I thought I'd bust out the ogres for a tale seeing as how they have been collecting dust as I've been playing with my other armies.

I increased the list to 2250 and this is the list I'll be using (at least at first):

(Krunky Boomboon) Tyrant w/ tenderiser, heavy armor, wyrdstone necklace, sword gnoblar, mawseeker
Butcher w/ bangstick
Butcher w/ 2 scrolls

20 gnoblars
20 gnoblars
20 gnoblars
20 gnoblars
20 gnoblars
20 gnoblars
3 bulls
3 bulls
3 bulls w/ extra hand weapons
3 bulls w/ iron fists
3 ironguts
3 ironguts
3 ironguts

Gorger
Gorger

Total: 2246

Some notes on the list:
-I run a gnoblar screen where each unit of gnoblars screens an ogre unit behind. Gnoblars 6 wide are the same width as 3 ogres.
-The iron fists are there because of model limitations

How the tale will run:

Basically Krunky will keep on raiding for his brother until his brother tires of his failures, and that will be defined as two losses in a row.

Feel free to bet how long that will take :D

First game wil be next week.

all_seeing_eye
18-08-2009, 20:33
Malorian, you and your crazy Battle threads. Do you think any one will be "willing" or "up to playing" agianst you this week in the Fort Mac group now that your using ogers?

Malorian
18-08-2009, 21:57
This week is still the 3k dwarf vs high elves I had planned. Ogres will start next week.

As for if people will play me... I'll make them! :evilgrin:

Kerill
19-08-2009, 06:07
I think you need more core ;)

Will be nice to see the ogres coming out to play. Surprised by the lack of fistful of laurels, I think your tyrany may gone overboard on the personal protection and is more likely to simply be broken.

selone
19-08-2009, 07:54
Thats a very err varied list you have there Mal ;)

YTY
19-08-2009, 12:02
Nice, another batrep thread! (I don't like ogres but however)

Your list seems a bit one-dimensional. What about maneaters, trappers or leadbelchers?

All_seeing_eye: Refusing to play against ogres seems to be very bad sport. Why wouldn't they play against him?

Malorian
19-08-2009, 13:43
Kerill, Normally I would just go with a bruiser but when I went to 2250 I went with the tyrant for the leadership and then gave him the 5+ ward and the T6 to keep him alive (hard to keep fluff going when the general dies...)

YTY, in a way it is very one dimensional, it's all about ogre MSU using a gnoblar screen, but it really allows you to control the movement phase and overwhelm your opponent.

I'm know already that without pictures it will be impossible to explain what is happeneing... so I'll have to steal the camera from the wife ;)

Tutore
19-08-2009, 13:45
Too few gnoblars perhaps :) looking forward to.

all_seeing_eye
19-08-2009, 16:30
All_seeing_eye: Refusing to play against ogres seems to be very bad sport. Why wouldn't they play against him?

I really don't know, I've always found my games against Mal to be quite enjoying. But the line was just a quip as no one at that Fort Mac group wanted a game against Mal's dwarfs last week.

lcfr
20-08-2009, 04:33
Krunky Boomboom and the Quest for Dragoneater's Doomsday Device?

Malorian
20-08-2009, 17:51
Oh boy, looks like this might start off with a bang :)

The local TK player (all_seeing_eye) is leaving for university next week so if we get a game on wednesday it's going to be a 5K game! I say if because there is a question if he'll be able to pull it off after partying the night before.

So I'll have to put a list together and see what crazy stuff I can try and pull ;)

RaZeR
21-08-2009, 11:33
:D
Looking forward to it!

SabaLoth
21-08-2009, 14:42
hmm, maybe including his brother?

though that would mean another tyrant, which is illegal :(

Malorian
21-08-2009, 16:29
hmm, maybe including his brother?

though that would mean another tyrant, which is illegal :(

*Checks books* Awww crud... just saw the 0-1 :cries:

Luckily in the past when I played big games like this I only used 1 tyrant due to wanting to save points (I only took a tyrant when it got to 5K)... guess I'll have to change my list...

(Thanks for the catch)

kormas
22-08-2009, 05:21
watching this with anticipation
:D

tho i have NEVER seen a 5K battle...you better take lots of pics :p

SevenSins
22-08-2009, 08:14
Went for a moderate vote 6-8, and really looking forward to some ogre battles, like you said yourself (and considering your list) pictures is a must

Atzcapotzalco
22-08-2009, 12:01
I look at so many ogres, in so many units, and I am somewhat scared.
I believe they will do well.

Feefait
24-08-2009, 20:18
I went for 9- 11 as Mal losing 2 in a row seems... far fetched to say the least. loll but it is a very basic ogres list, so it's possible.

Malorian
24-08-2009, 21:50
I went for 9- 11 as Mal losing 2 in a row seems... far fetched to say the least. loll but it is a very basic ogres list, so it's possible.

I don't know... it seems my days of glory are behind me... where I used to win 90+% of the time it's more like 60+% now...

Malorian
27-08-2009, 04:41
Game 1: The Tribe Goes To War...

Krunky was just about to head out on another raid when an ogre grabbed him by the arm and told him his brother wished to see him. Not wanting to keep his brother, the leader of their tribe waiting, the large ogre grabbed his hammer and rushed to Biggy Boomboom's tent.

"Ah Krunky, how good of you to come. We've got some trouble on our hands brother."

Biggy alway had a way with words that really put Krunky to ease. Many said he spoke as well as a human diplomat. Krunky didn't have such a gift, "Wat is der trouble brotha?"

"Our raids have drawn the attention of the Tomb Kings and they are gathering an army that would not only crush any raiding party but could also used to assault this very camp. I will not allow this. We march as soon as we are ready."

"Wat'eva ya say Biggy."

"I've also used up some of our gold hiring the services of Skrag and his gorgers..."

"Dem monsters? Who need em!"

Biggy smiled, "We need them, that is we need them if we want to defeat the tomb kings with as little losses as possible. No need to wipe out half our tribe now is there."

Kunky looked in awe at his brother brilliant plan.

"Now go assemble the men."

"Will do!" With that Krunky left the tent, quickly barking orders and getting the tribe ready. Biggy may be the boss, but no one dared cross the massive half-retarded ogre that was Krunky Boomboom...

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009037.jpg
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009038.jpg

The board was 6X4 and there was a hill in his left flank and in his center, and woods on either flank. The in my deployment zone I had woods on either side.

My list:

(Krunky Boomboon) Tyrant w/ tenderiser, heavy armor, wyrdstone necklace, mawseeker, fistful of laurels
(Biggy Boomboom) Slaughtermaster w/ seigebreaker, 2 scrolls
Skragg
BSB bruiser w/ heavy armor, kineater
Butcher w/ 2 scrolls
Butcher w/ 2 scrolls
Hunter w/ 2 sabretusks

20 gnoblars X6
8 trappers X2
3 bulls X2
3 bulls w/ extra handweapon X4
3 bulls w/ iron fist X3
3 ironguts X3

2 Gorgers X5
3 yhetees

Slave giant X3

His list:

Tomb king (general) w/ destroyer of eternities, collar of shapesh
Khalida
Liche high priest (hierophant) w/ cloak of dune, hieratic jar
Liche high priest w/ Enkhil’s kanopi, scroll
Tomb prince w/ scorpion armor, great weapon
Tomb prince w/ flail of skulls, chariot
Liche priest w/ steed, staff of ravening
Liche priest w/ 2 scrolls, casket of souls

22 skeleton archers w/ blessing of the asp
22 skeleton archers w/ blessing of the asp
19 skeleton warriors w/ light armor, shield
23 skeleton warriors w/ light armor, shield, champ, banner, banner of the undying legion
3 chariots w/ icon of the sacred eye, blessing of the asp
3 chariots w/ blessing of the asp
3 chariots w/ blessing of the asp

Tomb scorpion
Tomb scorpion
4 Ushabti
24 tomb guard w/ full command, icon of rakaph
20 tomb guard w/ full command
4 carrion

Bone giant
Skullapult w/ skulls of the foe
Skullapult w/ skulls of the foe

He deployed from left to right: chariots behind the trees, archers on the hill, bone giant, ushabti, large tomb guard w/ khalida, kanopi high priest, and carrion behind, on the hill: catapult, scorpion, casket of souls, scorpion, catapult, archers, in front of the hill: large skeletons w/ king and hierophant, chariots, skeletons w/ scorpion prince, right of the hill: tomb guard w/ mounted liche, banner chariots w/ prince.

I deployed all of my gnoblars across in a long line in the center and put a few units of ogre behind them with Skragg and the BSB. Almost all of the ogres were piled on the left flank with Krunky, Biggy, and a butcher. The hunter was in my left woods and the yhetees were behind the right woods. Then on the right flank I had the giants and two units of ogres w/ a butcher.

Trappers scouted into the woods on either flank and he won first turn.

Pre-game thoughts: A khalida list is nasty against ogres but I didn’t blame him because we were both using 99% of what we owned, so I’m sure for the same reason he didn’t mind me taking Skragg.

The battle plan was to bog down his center with the gnoblars (with the general and kineater BSB keeping them in line) while I closed in on the flanks. The gorgers would come on some time during that and hopefully take out those catapults and casket and help out where needed.

My worries were that those catapults would hit all those ogres on the left flank, make one unit run, and start a domino panic effect. Also on the left side he had most of his tough units so it wouldn’t be an easy ride, but I was sure I could break through.

Pre-game event: Krunky takes a wound from the wyrdstone necklace.

Turn 1 TK:

He moves up only slightly with his main line and the chariots on the flanks swing up to face the center. The carrion fly up but are still just in front of his line. In the magic phase I do really well at shutting down his weaker incantations and then use a couple scrolls to make sure the catapults can’t shoot. I eventually give up as the high priests are sure to over power me and they magically shoot the catapults which both scatter to do no damage. In the shooting phase the catapults (which are aiming are Skragg and my BSB) scatter into the gnoblars and kill some but they hold. Archers are out of range.

Turn 1 Ogres:

Two of the gnoblar units bicker and Krunky passed his stupidity test. The ogres rush up on the left flank, the gnoblar screen moves up making sure to stratify, the giants move up the right flank (one heading to go between the woods and the board edge, and the trappers move up and besides the chariots on either flank. In the magic phase I make some of my units stubborn and +1 toughness although when Skragg attempts to do the same to him self he miscasts and takes 3 wounds. Hunter shoots at the bone giant and does a wound.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009039.jpg
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009040.jpg

Turn 2 TK:

The main line moves slightly forward but they are in no rush, and the carrion fly further up so he can charge them into anything he wants. In the magic phase I burn the rest of my scrolls making sure those catapults can’t shoot and that the carrion don’t charge, but with two dice I fail to stop Khalida’s bound staff which does a few wounds to an ogre unit on the left which will bog the whole attack down. The catapults kill more skeletons and they hold and between magical shooting and regular shooting the archers kill a few ogres on the left side and all yhetees (with some help from the staff of ravening).

Turn 2 Ogres:

5 gorgers come in and I spread them out to be ready to charge: the left archers, both catapults, and double up on the casket. 1 unit of gnoblars bickers and Krunky passes his stupidity test. A single naked ogre and the sabretusks charge the carrion. On the left side I’m pretty bogged down so all I can do is run up a couple of ogres to block/redirect the chariots while an irongut unit moves up with Krunky so start the fighting if needed. Gnoblar line edges up a bit (since my flanks were slowing down I didn’t want to commit them yet), and on the right flank the one giant runs around the woods to face the flank of the right archers while another runs infront of his right chariots to block/redirect them and the rest setup to counter charge. In the magic phase he stops Skragg from healing himself and I pretty much anything else of use. In the shooting phase the hunter takes 3 wounds off of the bone giant. In combat I do some wounds to the bird, he kills the ogre and it ends up with 2 carrion vs the two sabretusks.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009041.jpg
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009042.jpg

Turn 3 TK:

The right chariots charge into the slave giant. Archers, scorpions, ushabti turn around and face the gorgers. The bone giant moves to the flank of the ogres blocking him on the left and the main line moves up slightly. In the magic phase, with all my scrolls gone, I really get worked over. Bone giant charges the bulls which flee and are caught but this put him in the middle of the woods. Ushabti and a scorpion are magically charged into gorgers, the staff of ravening kills a gorger, and the casket goes off but the worst it does is kill a bunch of the trappers on the right and they flee off the board. He also stops all my remain in play spells with the kanopi. Catapults scatter and kill more gnoblars that hold, the right archers kill a gorger, and the ones on the left leave that one with 1 wound. In combat the sabretusks finish off the carrion, the ushabti kill their gorger, the scorpion and his gorger are both down to 1 wound, and the chariots kill the slavegiant which falls harmlessly away.

Turn 3 Ogres:

4 gorgers come on and I put two on the right side by side, 1 behind the left archers, and 1 to the left of the ushabti (sacrifice to keep them away from the battle). The left trappers amazingly pass their terror test, 1 unit of gnoblars bicker and Krunky passes his stupidity test. The left gorger with 1 wound charges his left chartiots, the sabretusks charge his center chariots, a giant and a unit of bulls with extra hand weapons charge his right chariots, and the other giant charges the flank of his left archers. The ogres on the left setup to charge or get charged next turn with a super unit of ironguts with Krunky, Biggy, and the butcher, and the gnoblar line moves up along with some of the ogre units to counter the right tomb guard. Magic phase is a bust. In combat the giant kills some archers but it goes downhill quickly from there… the scorpion kills the gorger, even though the other giant and ogres do well against right chariots he does even better and kills my giant (last wound being done by a horse) who falls onto my ogres and kills one. I break and he hold leaving the ogres to flee. The sabretusks wiff their attacks and he kills 1, but luckily I hold, but the worst part… the part I REALLY needed to go my way… the gorger on the right flank kills a chariots but then gets killed… so now those chariots can charge my mega unit’s flank…

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009043.jpg
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009044.jpg

Turn 4 TK: The fall of it all…

Chariots charge the flank of the super unit, the scorpion charges the two gorgers on the right, and the right temple guard charge a unit of gnoblars that flee (but are caught), he redirects into the bulls that were fleeing the chariots, who must flee, they get away but they panic a unit of iron guts (grrr). But that’s ok because I have a big unit on their flank still. Bone giant moves out of the woods (ignoring the trappers who were throwing rocks at it to no effect), the ushabti turn to phase a gorger, the other scorpion moves over to help it’s buddy, the right chariots turn around to face the giant, and the temple guard turn to phase the ogres (with butcher) on their flank. In the magic phase the catapults kill both Skragg and the BSB, the staff of ravening claims another gorger, the ushabti and scorpion are charged into combat, and the right tomb guard try to charge with a 4… I roll two dice to stop it… and fail… I decide to flee and get away. Casket kills some ogres. Other shooting kills the gorgers that aren’t in combat.

Now the combat phase was REALLY critical. Sure the gorgers were doomed but I had a trick up my sleeve... the seigebreaker on the slaughter master made him str 7 so if he could just survive some wimpy attacks I would crush the chariots and charge into his Khalida unit on my following turn. Well you know how it goes… the slaughter master is crushed, I fail my break test (even with the reroll from the fist of laurels), roll a 3 for my flee distance and get run down…

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009049.jpg

At this point I called the game…

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009045.jpg
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009046.jpg
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009047.jpg
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009048.jpg
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009050.jpg

Victory to the Tomb kings!!!

Krunky didn’t understand what had gone wrong… the plan had sounded so brilliant, and now all around him his tribe was being slaughtered…

When chariots slammed into his brother and killed him Krunky almost went mad with rage and depression. If it weren’t for four ogres grabbing him and holding him back he would have charged into any foe in a fenzy.

“Kunky stop!!! Your brother is dead… the tribe is defeated… we must run or else the tribe will die with us.”

The butcher was right… bellowing out with a fury that would even scare a deamon, Krunky and a hand full of ogres turned their backs on the slaughter and ran…

Post-game thoughts: (Warning: this will be longer than usual)

First thing I have to say, this game was REALLY frustrating… It seemed like the dice were out to get me and it really didn’t matter what I did because they would betray me in the end (either by cursing me or blessing him). I’m usually a very calm and jovial player but I was really surprising the people around me but how angry I was getting. The worst part of this is that this game was suppose to be a last big fun game between me and a long time opponent that I ruined because of my anger. I said I was sorry to my opponent and he told me he understood.

Ok, so lets look at the reasons why I lost this game:

1. My opponent played a perfect game. Tomb kings are his only army and he has been playing them for four years… he doesn’t make mistakes any more. We were talking about this and one of the main changes in his play over the years is that he doesn’t engage until he has to any more. In our first games he would march up and I would use my gnoblars to completely control the movement phase, but now he knows there isn’t any reason to rush in and he can pick away at me and just deal with what ever makes it to him. Kinda like running an undead magical dwarf castle.

I really wish he would start a string of battle reports and/or post a tactica because every time I hear that tomb kings suck I just want to ask them, “Have you played a good TK player? Have you played All_seeing_eye? Do you have any idea how dangerous and good the army can be in the hands of a veteran player?

2. Lady luck was married to my opponent. I should have seen it coming when I took that wound from the wyrdstone necklace, or even when Skragg lost half his wounds to a miscast right away, but it wasn’t unit I started failing those critical rolls and he rolled so well a person that didn’t know him would question his dice that I realized the gods were against me. I mean really… not being able to stop a bound 5 with 2 dice bogging down my entire left flank, the giant and ogres bouncing off of his chariots and thus loosing me the right flank, my one charge of a come back on the right then being squashed by failing to stop a bound 4 with 2 dice, his sniper staff of ravening that acted like a laser guided missile launcher, and finally the failure of dealing with the chariots on the left flank… it was ridiculous and so frustrating that eventually you just have to stop yourself and say, “Hey it’s one of those games…”.

In the end we decided to finish the scorpion vs goger fight. He killed 1 and then I killed his wounded one. Then in the 1 on 1 I didn't even hit him over three rounds of combat as he slowly picked the gorger apart... kinda summed up the game right there...

3. I could have played my gorgers better. I had spread them out knowing that he would magically charge into them but he would be able to get all of them… well I underestimated his abilities and that’s just what he did. Had I instead pooled them all in one area (best place would be the right flank) enough would have gotten through that I could punch a hole. But then again I don’t know if that would have saved me as with my flank attacks failing he could have just turned his center blocks around to deal with them.

The one good thing I can say about this game is that it gave the campaign a kick start. Krunky now has a goal (rebuilding his tribe) rather than pointless continual raids for his brother’s benefit. Plus it's good to leave my opponent with the final win.

The bad news is that I’ve now lost my first game so if I lose the next one the campaign is over… This Friday I’ll be going for a game at the bunker in Edmonton so all will be decided there.

On a side note I found it ironic that even though I just recently stopped recording my wins and losses to take the ultra-competitive edge out of my games and make them more relaxed, but then at the same time I feel equally pressured to win games in order so my campaign stories to continue.

Anyway thanks for reading and you can expect the second game to come this weekend.

Malorian
27-08-2009, 15:06
I swear I won't let Ogreman, Sirroelivan, and stonetroll be right...

GuyLeCheval
27-08-2009, 15:27

Huh?

Tough luck Malorian. Could have been a very fun game, but, c'est la vie...

selone
27-08-2009, 16:26
Good luck, Ive got you down for more than 2 games so you cant lose again. No more immune to breaking armies for you next game!

Dungeon_Lawyer
27-08-2009, 17:47
On a side note I found it ironic that even though I just recently stopped recording my wins and losses to take the ultra-competitive edge out of my games and make them more relaxed, but then at the same time I feel equally pressured to win games in order so my campaign stories to continue.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing....

and you're secretly still keeping a running tally in yer hed...dont worry I wont tell:evilgrin:

Arguleon-veq
27-08-2009, 22:45
Rough game man. As you said, a hard match up for Ogres to deal with.

Just a quick rules clarification, I always thought the Hunters Harpoon thing only did 1 wound [besides the whole S Test wound thing]? but you say he did 3 to the Bone Giant?. I thought that it penetrated ranks like a Bolt Thrower but didnt know it also did D3 wounds like one.

I have always fancied a shooty Ogre army with Belchers, Maneaters with Handguns, Hunters and Scrap Launchers. If those Hunter Guns do D3 wounds I may just collect it.

MrDwhitey
28-08-2009, 00:23
I really wish he would start a string of battle reports and/or post a tactica because every time I hear that tomb kings suck I just want to ask them, “Have you played a good TK player? Have you played All_seeing_eye? Do you have any idea how dangerous and good the army can be in the hands of a veteran player?

That's something I can agree with wholeheartedly, and also often feel.

The harpoon does do d3 wounds with no armour saves, it's in the FAQ for ogres. The hunter can also pivot, which makes up slightly for not being move and shoot.

SevenSins
28-08-2009, 16:13
The harpoon can even give 4 wounds :) If the hunter hits a larger than mansized thingy he can make a strength check to get an aditional wound.

Tough game, with rotten luck, but I'm afraid he was the moral victor as well; BsB bruiser with kineater? Kineater is reserved for tyrants I'm afraid, bruisers can't have big names over 25pts

Oh well better luck next time, and I agree on it giving you a better story, rebuilding the tribe seems like a fitting goal

Malorian
28-08-2009, 18:13
The harpoon can even give 4 wounds :) If the hunter hits a larger than mansized thingy he can make a strength check to get an aditional wound.

Tough game, with rotten luck, but I'm afraid he was the moral victor as well; BsB bruiser with kineater? Kineater is reserved for tyrants I'm afraid, bruisers can't have big names over 25pts

Oh well better luck next time, and I agree on it giving you a better story, rebuilding the tribe seems like a fitting goal

*Checks book and sees paragraph over big names*

Well that's silly... I hyst always read the bruiser entry where it says "May choose big names and or magic items from the common or ogre magic item list to a max. total of 50 points." and never thought there were alther restrictions.

I guess that's what you get for not playing the army in over a year ;) :o

stonetroll
28-08-2009, 19:49
Thanks for the report Mal! Sometimes the dice just don't go your way....

I hop you can prove me wrong! It is nog your playing skills that I question, but the book's weakness!

Looking forward to the next one.

Malorian
29-08-2009, 04:24
Pictures added to first game.

Malorian
29-08-2009, 04:45
Game 2: Krunky tries his hand as leader

Krunky and some of his ogres had survived but luckily their numbers were soon boosted as gnoblars and ogres that respected his strength showed up at his camp ready to fight for him (for their fair share of meat of course).

It wasn't long before there were enough of them to actually go on a raid. Well... since it required the entire tribe if might be more of the entire tribe going to war... but scale wise it was a raid.

Word came in of some warriors of chaos who were passing by. Covered in heavy armor and weapons they would be a perfect target to arm the tribe and the horses would be sold to the human for other supplies.

Krunky gathered his tribe just before they headed out, "Al'ight guys... Dis here is big fer us. So everyone follow that there plan and then we can get back to some eaten..."

The tribe bellowed back in cheer and headed out to kill some warriors of chaos...

My list was:

(Krunky Boomboon) Tyrant w/ tenderiser, heavy armor, wyrdstone necklace, sword gnoblar, mawseeker
Butcher w/ bangstick
Butcher w/ 2 scrolls

20 gnoblars
20 gnoblars
20 gnoblars
20 gnoblars
20 gnoblars
20 gnoblars
3 bulls (known as naked)
3 bulls
3 bulls w/ extra hand weapons (known as XH)
3 bulls w/ iron fists (known as IF)
3 ironguts
3 ironguts
3 ironguts

Gorger
Gorger

Total: 2246

His list was something like:

Lvl 2 deamon prince of slaanesh w/ screaming attack
Exalted of Slaanesh w/ halbred on chariot

10 marauder horsemen w/ light armor, shield, spear. FC, MoS
5 marauder horsemen w/ spears, MoS
5 marauder horsemen w/ throwing axes, MoS

10 knights w/ full command, MoS
5 knights w/ full command, magic missile banner, MoS
Chariot
Chariot

Special character spawn

The board was 6X4 and there was a group of ruins just left of the center of the board, two forests on the rigth flank, and a building on the left flank just in front of my deployment zone.

He deployed from left to right: exalted chariot, ranked horsmen, spear horsemen w/ ranked knights behind, *Ruins*, chariot, chariot, super spawn, axe horsemen w/ magic missile knights behind, deamon prince behind trees.

I deployed from left to right: ironguts behind building, gnoblars w/ XH ogres w/ scroll butcher behind, gnoblars w/ XH ogres behind, gnoblars w/ ironguts behind, naked ogres w/ naked ogres behind (behind ruins), gnoblars w/ XH ogres w/ bangstick butcher behind, gnoblars w/ ironguts behind, gnoblars w/ XH ogres w/ Krunky hehind, *woods*, IF ogres (out of picture). (Gnoblars were deployed 6 wide.)

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009059.jpg

He won roll for first turn but gave it to me. No wound from the wyrdstone necklace.

Pre-game thoughts: I was really looking forward to this game as I felt it was a great one to show off how gnoblars can control the movement phase.

The plan was to bog down the left flank by putting the ironguts in the building and basically just scaring him until gorgers come from behind, and then clear things up on the right flank. Gnoblrs would bait chariots and then I would counter, Krunky would smash the super spawn and then move on to the knights, and then the only other thing I had to do was make sure that deamon prince didn't do too much damage (would charge her with Krunky is given the chance).

You'll notice his army is very converted. The carnifex (that has a deamonettes as a head) was the super spawn, and the deamon prince was made with nid/dark elve, and sister of battle bits.

Turn 1 Ogres:

None of the gnoblars bicker and Krunky passes stupidity. The naked bulls move up and wheel so that one unit is looking either way, far left ironguts enter the building, and other wise the line moves up only slightly. Then things fall apart... on my first spell when I try and make the right ironguts stubborn I miscast, roll a 1, so the bangstick butcher is dead (while doing 2 wounds to his unit) and the other butcher takes 3 wounds (I swear this game has it out for me...). The surviving butcher tries to heal himself but it is stopped.

(The loss of the butcher was a real kick in the nuts, but things still were ok. My plan didn't rely on magic and at least my scroll butcher was still alive.)

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009060.jpg

Turn 1 WoC:

Super spawn moves up with the axe horsemen and knights following behind. Deamon prince flies to beside the ruins, and on the left flank things don't move much other than the spear horsemen tying to tempt my ironguts in th building. In the magic phase I stop the magic banner and he fails to cast anything else.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009061.jpg

Turn 2 Ogres:

Both gorgers turn up and are placed behind the ranked horsemen on the left flank. A unit of gnoblars bicker on each flank and Krunky passes stupidity. Outer left gnoblars move toward the spear horsemen with the butchers unit following behind and the left naked ogres moving up slightly to threaten the horsemen, the right naked horsemen run and wheel to be right in front of his chariots, and centeral ogres reform to make sure the deamon prince can't just fly past my line. The left gnoblars on the rigth flank reform to get full ranks. In the magic phase he stops me from breaking the spear horsemen's bones but I heal a wound. In the shooting phase I throw hamsters at the same horsemen with my gnoblars but they had no effect.

(Everything still looking good. Now I just need him to take the baits...)

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009062.jpg

Turn 2 WoC:

Super spawn charges the gnoblars in front of him and they flee and get away while running through Krunky's unit, the chariots charge the ogres who flee and get caught, and he redirects into the gnoblars who flee through the ogres behind and get away. Ranked horsemen turn to face gorgers, the deamon prince flies up a bit, the axe horsemen move to be in charge range of the ogres, and the knights behind move up a bit. In the magic phase I stop the banner and he fails to cast anything else (each time he is trying to cast spell 4 and 5 with two dice). In the shooting phase the deamon prince screams at my fully ranked gnoblars and kills 2.

(Hurray he fell right into my trap!)

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009063.jpg

Turn 3 Ogres:

The only fully ranked gnoblar unit pass their terror test. The same gnoblar unit that bickered on the left flank last time does so again, and Krunky passes his stupidity. The gorgers charge the ranked horsemen, the once ranked gnoblars charge the flnk of the chariots while a unit of ironguts charges them in the front. They decide to flee and do so right through the axe horsemen killing two (panic passed) and one goes into the woods and takes two wounds (note that the left one fled from the gnoblars while the right one fled from the ironguts since it wasn't actually being charged by the gnoblrs). Krunky and his unit charged the super spawn. Fleeing gnoblars rally. The IF ogres move up now that there isn't much to worry about and get ready to charge or get charged by the three axe horsemen. Otherwise units setup to deal with the deamon prince, in particular I set it up so she can charge a unit of XH ogres but then they can flee, get caufght, and one of the newly rallied gnoblars are ready to charge her in the flank. They most likely won't win but with ranks, outnumber, flank, and the general's leadership maybe they can tie her up for a bit. In the magic phase he stops me from breaking the spear horsemen's bones, annd then the butcher heals another wound. In th shooting phase the gnoblars which to throwing rocks and it does much bette as I kill a spear horsemen. In combat he does a wound to one gorger and I only do one back. Super spawn makes a challnge and Krunky kills him in no time, but then they only overrun 2 inches...

(I was actually very surprised that he fled with the chariots. I was sure that charging over his own units into trees would have been enough to take it. I was now in a spot where Krunky could be flank charged by the deamon prince (stupid 2 inch overrun) but wasn't actually that scared as I had wanted him to kill her anyway.)

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009064.jpg

Turn 3 WoC:

Spear horsmen charge the gnoblars who flee and get ran down as they continue into the butcher's XH ogres (unfortunately 1 is out of combat due to clipping), deamon prince charges the XH ogres I had planned on and they run and are caught and she ends up showing her flank to the gnoblars, and the knights charge Krunky's unit. Both chariots rally, the axe horsemen move back to be out of the IF ogre's charge range, and the ranked knights move up a bit. In the magic phase I scroll the spell that would force me to move. In combat the gorgers kill 2 more horsemen. The butcher takes a wound from a challenge and after the ogre's kill one of the horsemen I actually lose combat by 1 but hold. The knight champ accepts Krunky's challenge and is unable to wound him so I get ready to rack up some overkill... 3 attacks hits, only 1 wounds on a 2+, he fails the armor save, and then when I roll for the amount of wounds I only get 1... *sigh*... anyway knights beat up on the ogres and I kill 1 knight back, I lose combat by 1, fail my test and get ran down. This panics both the nearby ironguts and gnoblars who had been after his chariots, with the gnoblars bouncing over units unit they are in front of my line on the left flank (neither good nor bad).

(Well here we go again... the dice hate me and screw over my plans again. At this point I know my plan to win the right flank is obviously not goign to happen so now my only hope is to do something big on the left flank...)

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009065.jpg

Turn 4 Ogres:

Amazingly the gnoblars on the deamon prince's flank pass their terror, but then fail their fear test to charge (I don't blame them). One unit of gnoblars bicker on the left flank. The IF ogres charge the chariot in the woods and everthing rallies (hurray!). Knowing I now need to bait the ranked knights rather than stall them the naked ogres move up to the ruins in a seemingly idiotic move that shows their flank to the knights. The plan is to flee and depending on how that turns out either counter charge them right away with one of the units of ironguts (hoepfully the ones in the building) or otherwise set up another bait and counter with gnoblars. In the magic phase he stops me making the butcher's ogres +1 str, and then try to heal himself but miscast and fart with no effect. In the shooting phase the gnoblars throw kittens at the knights on the right but this has no effect. In combat the gorgers kill only one horsemen, the butchers unit kills all but 1 horsemen who I let run away forever (was just removed from play), and the IF ogres do two wounds to the chariot while taking two back, the chariots breaks and gets away.

(Maybe... just maybe...)

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009066.jpg

Turn 4 WoC:

The ranked knights charge the naked ogres who flee and get away, and the knights on the right charge the gnoblars in front of them. Chariot rallies wile the other one moves up, the axe horsemen move to the IF ogre's flank, and the deamon prince flies to my left flank. In the magic phase I scroll his attempt to move my ironguts in the building, and in the shooting phase he screams at the butcher's unit to no effect but the axe horsemen do better and kill the wounded IF ogre which makes them panic and flee. In combat the two gorgers finally beat, break, and even catch the horsemen (bad flee roll). To no ones surprise the knights crush the gnoblars and run off the board.

(Ok, time for the moment of fate on the left flank...)

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009067.jpg

Turn 5 Ogres:

A unit of gnoblars fails a terror test and jumps over units until it's in the ruins. A unit of gnoblars on the left bicker. A gorger is forced to charge the exalted chariot and the ironguts in the building charge out towards the flank of the ranked knights... but they flee and get away. The IF ogres fail to rally and run off the board but the naked ogres rally. Butcher unit goes into the building, I set up some ironguts to bait the closer chariot, gnoblars turn to be ready for the returning knights, the other gorger moves to the flank of the exalted chariot, and other units move to be ready for the deamon prince. In the magic phase he fails to stop me from breaking the deamon princes bones but the ward is made on the wound that goes through, and then I heal myself. In combat the gorger causes a wound but it is saved and then the gorger is horribly slaughtered...

(Well that was anti-climatic... didn't think he would flee with the big unit of knights. I mean my chances of winning overall weren't that good anyway (I win the charge but he beats me in following rounds) but at least it would have been a chance, and I guess that's why he didn't give it to me.)

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009068.jpg

Turn 5 WoC:

Chariot charges the ironguts who flee and get away. Knights rally and the other knights come on the board and face my gnoblars. Everything moves up and deamon prince is behind my lines. In the magic phase he miscasts but nothing becomes of it. Then in th shooting phase he yells at some ogres and does a wound. For the first time in a while there is no combat (we actually both double check as it seems odd...).

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009069.jpg

Turn 6 Ogres:

No one bickers. Gorger charges the exalted in the flank while the butcher's ogres charge him in the front (making sure the butcher isn't engaged), and the naked ogres charge the regular chariot in the flank while gnoblars hit the front. Gnoblars in the ruins rally. Other units just reform to be ready to take it from the deamon prince on the chin rather than in the behind. In the shooting phase he stops me from giving the butcher's ogre's + 1 str and then I don't dare cast anything else fearing more harm than good. In the shooting phase the gnoblars switch to throwing pillows at the knights but it still has no effect. In combat I do two wounds to the normal chariot and he kills a bunch of gnoblars. I win but he holds. I direct all my attacks at the character on the chariot, he makes all his saves and kills two ogres, then my butcher runs away.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009070.jpg

Turn 6 WoC:

Deamon prince charge a unit of ironguts, ranked knights try to charge the gorger but are just out, other knights charge the gnoblars, and the other chariot hits the naked ogres in the flank. In the magic phase he makes it to models have to pass a Ld test to attack the first chariot I charged. In combat the gorger is beaten up and fails to wound the hero, the gnoblars are slaughtered, the chariots crush the naked ogres and gnoblars and what's left breaks, and the deamon prince beats and breaks the ironguts which panics a unit of ogres and a unit of gnoblars.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/Malorian/Krunky%20Boomboom/August28th2009071.jpg

Victory to the Warriors of Chaos!

Krunky had failed as leader. What was left of his tribe where being slaughtered all around him and he himself was captured and chained up by a group of knights.

After the battle was over Krunky was given up as an offering to the gods by being tied to a stake and having the deamon prince slit his throat with one of his claws. The ogre's life blood drained out and dripped on to a pile of skulls below.

Not all quests end in victory and even more so when the hero is a half retarded ogre...

The tale of Krunky Boomboom was over...

Post-game thoughts: I think the game was over when Krunky failed to do more than 1 wound to the knight champ. Once again the dice decided it was time for me to lose and right away my right flank fell apart as did any chance of winning.

Personally I think the plan was solid and that I could't have done anything better. I set up all the baits and counter charges needed perfectly, everything was going to plan, and then that happned...

At least this time Lady Luck handed me my failure with a quick punch to the nose rather than the repeated bad luck beating I took in the first game.

Worst of all the tale is over... and in two game no less... the shame is almost too much...

I'm just joking of course, but seriously I am caught between feelings of complete embarrassment :o and feelings of being cheated by my dice :wtf: And I'd like to be clear that I don't think these games in anyway mean ogres are a weak army. I hope people can look at how I used the gnoblars in the second game and see the potential these 2 point models can have in controlling the movement phase.

Anyway... Ogreman, Sirroelivan, and stonetroll, you guys were right so I'm putting it up to you to decide what army I use for my next tale. The options are:

Orcs and goblins
Vampire counts
Bretonnians
Woodelves
Lizardmen
Ogre kingdoms
Dwarfs

I've give you guys a week to put in your vote and then will go with the one with the most votes (or will roll off a tie).

Thanks to my readers and sorry this tale was so short.

stonetroll
29-08-2009, 07:17
Hey Malorian,

Sorry to read it had to end so quick :(

Anyway, I think you made a mistake during your battle:

the ironguts in the building charge out towards the flank of the ranked knights...

Unfortunately you can't charge out of a building (that'd be awesome!) --> p 97 BRB

Thanks for giving us a chance on choosing the next tale! I'm torn between O&G (my first love) and Brets (just started).

I'll go with Brets but in case you'd rather do O&G or it comes to a tie off with either of them you can change my vote accordingly :).

P.S.: This defeat is expecially bad as (imho) it was the best fluff bits so far!

kormas
29-08-2009, 07:30
well that sucks......ah welz, the dice realy dont always go your way.

i know that my vote doesnt count but i hav gotta say that i would like to see the woodelves come out to play, i used to have an army of them by after a while i was forced to shelve and eventualy seel them when my mates started refusing to play my army :cries:, so it would be nice to see them come out and play in the hands a compitent player :D

GuyLeCheval
29-08-2009, 07:55
Psssst, choose wood elves!

Dungeon_Lawyer
29-08-2009, 09:48
Too Bad-

I have been nothing but impressed with the FW rhinox cav when I have faced them....Maybe acquire some of those one of these days.....

I know I dont have a vote but Im sending telepathic hypnotic suggestions for Woodies!

selone
29-08-2009, 10:19
Love the movement trays :D I actually thought you had a chance versus that WoC list as it was err interesting.

P.S wood elves seem to be the least posted battle reps around here.

Arguleon-veq
29-08-2009, 11:35
Sorry to see the thread end so early.

I do think those Knights should actually beat those Ogres by the numbers anyway though.

Krunky should have done 4 wounds in that challenge.
The Knights should do 4-5 wounds on the charge.
You outnumber [so long as you took no wounds before it started].
He has a Banner.
He either wins by 1 or because of the Musician.

I was looking forward to seeing your Tyrant fight the Daemon though.

I would like to see Wood Elves next. I am planning on using mine soon so could do with picking up a few tips. I havent usedthem since last edition.

SevenSins
29-08-2009, 12:18
Aww to bad mate. But you know what they say about unpainted minis ;) the pics really helped by the way, the sheer number of units become boggling without some visual aids.

(quick way to paint gnoblars: foundation paints, don't bother spraying them just paint right on the grey, then devlan mud wash and voila)

I'll add my voice to the wish for wood elves.

Malorian
29-08-2009, 13:59
Aww to bad mate. But you know what they say about unpainted minis ;) the pics really helped by the way, the sheer number of units become boggling without some visual aids.

I'll add my voice to the wish for wood elves.

My wife promiced she would paint my ogres two years ago in return for a bunch of partylite stuff. Now I'm in the weird spot that I'd love to paint them but she has already done some, so either I end up with an army with two very different painting styles or I paint over her stuff...

Well as I'm busy painting dwarfs I just leave the ogres alone with the hope she'll finish them one day.

Wow, a lot of people want wood elves... maybe I'll have to get a few extra games in with them then ;)

MrDwhitey
30-08-2009, 00:27
It does make me sad that this one ended so fast. I really do like ogres, and was really hoping to see them do well.

Another non-voter voting for Wood elves.

lcfr
30-08-2009, 01:44
Guys....do the right thing and let the search for the Doomsday Device begin...

Warhammerrox
30-08-2009, 13:36
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

A premature end to Krunky...

Woodies next Mal, you've done your Vamps and Orcs before, show us something new please!

stonetroll
30-08-2009, 22:23
Woodies woodies woodies... too bad all of ya don't get to vote ;)

Kerill
31-08-2009, 16:05
Shame that was over so quickly. Looking forward to some ogre reports since I've bought an ogre army on ebay although I won't be playing it to next year.

My vote is for lizardmen for the next army btw.

Malorian
31-08-2009, 17:47
Still nothing from the other two voters so it looks like it will be brets.

Due to all the interest in wood elves I will be trying to be getting in some games with them too.

GuyLeCheval
31-08-2009, 17:57
Still nothing from the other two voters so it looks like it will be brets.

Due to all the interest in wood elves I will be trying to be getting in some games with them too.

Ah, that's not fair! I demand Woodies, c'mon Stonetroll, voite Woodies.

kyinpie
05-09-2009, 13:02
That's something I can agree with wholeheartedly, and also often feel.

The harpoon does do d3 wounds with no armour saves, it's in the FAQ for ogres. The hunter can also pivot, which makes up slightly for not being move and shoot.

i take that as a compliment mate! :) ;)