PDA

View Full Version : Warriors of chaos monstrous horde?

Angelust
18-08-2009, 19:53
Trying to make a horde list, what directions do you guys think would be viable?

I'm thinking..

Kholek
throgg

3x3 trolls
2x25 slaanesh marked marauders command and armor shield
4x5 hounds

2x3 dragon ogres
x2 spawn
warshrine

something along those lines..

theme being monsters and Northmen worshippers..

Viable on the field? Viable theme?

Kalec
18-08-2009, 20:16
Kholek is unnecessary.

If you don't want to pair up Throgg with Valkia and make the EoTG table matter for once, then a pair of scroll caddies (or even just one) will suffice. Throgg is better then most lords in combat, and acts as a BSB for a large chunk of your army so all you really want is some magic defense. Having a second leadership bubble also gives you more freedom with your trolls.

Weemo
18-08-2009, 20:27
i agree, kholek suffers fom the fact that he needs nearly all of his attacks to hut, if he had hatred he would be fine, however he doesnt and he is a very expensive liability

throgg in a unit of at least 3 trolls

another two units of 4

valkia

sorcerer of tzeentch on disc with 2 scrolls (or on foot with just scrolls)

id go for i unit of 4 dragon ogres simply because if 1 dies then they are still effetove

4 x 5 hounds

warshrine

(im not a fan of spawn simply because you have a fast army and they will get left behind to do noting

then you have 267 points left for a small unit of knights some marauder horsemen or whatever you want,

i left out marauders because they are quite weak, easily isoltaed and slow in comparsion with your army.

hope this helps ;)

PeG
19-08-2009, 01:30
I agree that Kholek is normally overcosted for what he does but where I play we have lots of skaven player (for some unknown reason) and Kholek really kills them by just being on the board :)

Angelust
20-08-2009, 00:51
I actually like Kholek for the lightning strike ability as much as his fighting prowess. Landing d6 S6 hits on anybody out of 12" just seems extremely good, when it can't be dispelled, and it doesn't need a roll to hit (except the 1 on a d6)....

But after he shoots down some fast cav and what-have-you, he can still make a mess of any character and most elites...

Also, I like the tactical idea of Valkia in the list, as
1) having a flyer can really help out my list
2) Reroll on EotG can be great w/ mutant regen
3) She's another bsb w/ LD 9, which makes my whole army basically able to reroll breaks on LD9/8

However, I'm really unsure if she fits with the theme of the army, or whether I could easily justify her fluff-wise.

I could alternatively use a Lord on Dragon, call him a beast-master or something...

Arguleon-veq
20-08-2009, 10:03
Not really sure why the Warshrine is in the list?

I also think your monster units are too small to ever win any combats from the front on their own. I would make them units of 4.

The Dragon Ogres should take one of the weapon options.

I dont think Kholek is a liability at all, if even a fully ranked up unit has a character or champ with them, you will rack up 6 on combat res because of the overkill thanks to that D3 wound weapon.

Besides, all he has to do to beat a unit is strip a rank off with his Lightning first.

I run a Kholek list that uses;

Kholek;
Sorc; Scrolls
Sorc; Scrolls

24 Marauders; Slaanesh, FC, Shield, LA.
24 Marauders; Slaanesh, FC, Shield, LA.
24 Marauders; Slaanesh, Flails.

5 Slaanesh Horse; Flails.
5 Slaanesh Horse; Thrown Axes.
5 Slaanesh Horse; Thrown Axes.

Hellcannon;
Hellcannon;

You can use a lot of different models to rep the Hellcannon in a monster list. LoTR Mumaks with a Stone Thrower on the Howdah or its trunk spitting fire, Tyranid Biovores.

They make fantastic rank breakers/flankers for your Marauder Anvils.

As has been said you need magic defence but I would seriously consider a Hellcannon in there too, it is one of the biggest monsters in the list.

Leogun_91
20-08-2009, 10:26
Welll when I thought about a simmilar list my choice for lordchoice was Galrauch......he is 100% monster and you get some magic which can help you....his stats are also really good.

Angelust
20-08-2009, 17:53
I threw in the warshrine because it fit the theme of legendary monsters and their tribal worshippers (i.e. marauders and shrine).

And I was planning on giving dragon ogres great weapons of course.

My only concern though is if trolls and ogres 4 wide are hard to maneuver?

As for galrauch...I'm not really sure.
1) If I were to take Galrauch, I'd really need other casters to flesh out my magic phase, so Galrauch doesn't just get dispelled. I'm not really sure how extra sorcerors fits into my theme, unless I bestialize them somehow...
2) I don't have the model, and I don't really think it looks that great
3) I don't like his ultra-stupidity of "I attack myself"...he's too expensive for that!

Leogun_91
20-08-2009, 17:59
As for galrauch...I'm not really sure.
1) If I were to take Galrauch, I'd really need other casters to flesh out my magic phase, so Galrauch doesn't just get dispelled. I'm not really sure how extra sorcerors fits into my theme, unless I bestialize them somehow...
2) I don't have the model, and I don't really think it looks that great
3) I don't like his ultra-stupidity of "I attack myself"...he's too expensive for that!Well he does counter the enemy wizards a little untill you get closeenough to them to kill them off and make him effective.....and he makes one of the miscast results your oponent can get intresting....the one where you get to cast a spell.......he is a big monster in closecombat just as Kholek but Galrauch can fly which is really effective for monsters.....his stupidity is a bummer but itīs not that bad.