PDA

View Full Version : Imperial guard Mercenaries

Brother Alexos
19-08-2009, 03:58
I would like to know, which regiment from the old codex imperial guard would be the most likely to become mercenaries after disbanding based on the descriptions?

warpedpavilion
19-08-2009, 04:12
umm... i doubt any of the "main" regiments (cadians, valhallans, death korps) would go mercenary, mainly because in GW fluff they all fanatically loyal.

if i HAD to pick, i'd say the catachans, but what i see as more likely scenarios are penal legionnaires who have somehow successfully done their time (all 3 of them) and have been released.

if all else fails, choose models you like, claim they're from X planet, and have gone merc

DinoDoc
19-08-2009, 04:29
if all else fails, choose models you like, claim they're from X planet, and have gone mercI never trusted those regiments from Planet X.

ThePrecious
19-08-2009, 05:02
I never trusted those regiments from Planet X.

Never did trust them :rolleyes: .

Explodingboy
19-08-2009, 06:36
I'd wager that pretty much any regiment has members vanish off to become mercenaries,

it's more the method that you have wrong, they guard regiments don't disband, you'd have units given garrison duty, and others essentially just wiped out. Your mercenaries would essentially be coming in small numbers from a number of different sources, the awol garrison troopers or retired vets who get bored with civilian life.

Condottiere
19-08-2009, 06:51
The problem is that IG enlist for the duration, if you can term that enlistment, so that if they wish to become mercenaries, they'd be quite old if they went the legitimate route.

Any mercenaries with military backgrounds are likely to come from PDFs, or private organizations.

Moriarty
19-08-2009, 10:36
Thoughts on Mercenaries:

Mercenaries (Fictional)

The Magnificent Seven

The Dirty Dozen

The Wild Bunch

Dogs of War

The Wild Geese

Falkenburgs Legion

Hammers Slammers

Dorsai

The A Team

Yojimbo

40k races likely to be found as Mercenaries
Kroot
Ork
Freebooterz/Blood Axe Clan (gitz)
Eldar Pirates/Dark Eldar
Squats
Rogue Space Marines
Cut off/abandoned IG
Human pirates
Ogryn

Likely hirers of Mercenaries PDF
Inquisitors
Tau
Orks

Can be categorised as
the lone wolf: Independant Character
the commando elite Scouts, Infiltrate/Deep Strike
training cadre Platoon Command Squads
technological support Heavy Weapons Squads
field forces IG Army

Mercenaries can occupy the second HQ slot of a FOC. They can be:

Lone Wolf - Independant Character, can be General, giving Ld value to the army; Bodyguard, giving one of their wounds up if their 'principle' is wounded; or Hero, giving Shooting or Close Combat support to the army, but not necessarily at the time or place the army would chose.

Commando Elite - 12 figures or less in one squad. may have the Scout, Infiltrate or Deep Strike special rule. While the unit is still in play, it can be replaced with any squad/vehicle they rout/destroy as they are considered to use captured equipment to fulfil their mission.

Training Cadre - Five figure or less squad attached to two or more Troops choices. While the Cadre is still in play, their attached troops choices can use one IG Doctrine. All Troops choices must stay within IG Command Radius to benefit.

Technological Support - Counts as one (basic) Heavy Support choice from any Codex, or is a transport option vehicle which is attached to a unit allowing it the use of one CoD strategy.

Field Forces - IG Platoon without its Support squads, but with the option to substitute Special weapons for Heavy weapons.

All Mercenary races can only be used by those considered as 'compatable' Allies.

Brother Alexos
19-08-2009, 19:46
Moriarty, you forget that in a Hammer's Slammers short story, Faulkenburg's legion becomes Broglie's legion after Broglie kills Faulkenburg.

Otherwise thanks

puppetmaster24
19-08-2009, 19:55
the one regiment that is more lightly to become mercinerys is the savlar chem dogs, it is a whole regiment composed of criminals.

Vepr
19-08-2009, 20:04
Stealer cult IG mercs. What better way to "spread" the word than traveling all over to various battle grounds and seed for future conquest.

Panzerkanzler
19-08-2009, 21:04
Stealer cult IG mercs. What better way to "spread" the word than traveling all over to various battle grounds and seed for future conquest.

I dunno. I travel around and do my share of seeding, when the opportunity arises, but still no conquest in sight :( Maybe I should try using a gun.

Condottiere
19-08-2009, 21:05
Ratlings

Crumpin's Loop Militant Roosters

Commander Zane
19-08-2009, 21:29
i like the idea of merc guard.

im using that for my IG, the story im goin with is that they there still loyal, but the extra profit is to good to turn a blind eye on

Condottiere
19-08-2009, 21:33
What does your Commissar have to say to this sideline?

Kalec
19-08-2009, 21:54
The Dirty Dozen

Already done, called The Last Chancers.

Commander Zane
19-08-2009, 22:43
What does your Commissar have to say to this sideline?

was this question meant for everyone or my very bleak answer? lol

the commissar turns a blind eye, cause the extra income, weapons and tech is good enough.

Its still a WIP lol i dont plan on havin any commissars in my army

but like i said the army and back ground is still a WIP

Mannimarco
19-08-2009, 22:45
idea for mercenaries: salvar chem dogs anybody? buch of drug addict kleptomaniacs seem like the type to me

Brother Alexos
19-08-2009, 23:05
Well, to better phrase the question. I want an imperial guard army that i can use with allies from (almost) every race because sometimes I feel like painting Orks or Eldar, and Tau so thats why I'm using Merc Guard.

Condottiere
20-08-2009, 07:16
was this question meant for everyone or my very bleak answer? lol

the commissar turns a blind eye, cause the extra income, weapons and tech is good enough.

Its still a WIP lol i dont plan on havin any commissars in my army

but like i said the army and back ground is still a WIPIf it's an IG regiment still in communication with the Imperium, it will be assigned a Commissar. If he turns a blind eye to such actions, he's not doing his job, and will have to keep a wary eye out of an IG IG (Imperial Guard Inspector General), so extra curricular activity would have to conducted covertly, with all identfying marks removed.

hummus
20-08-2009, 12:36
eisenhorn catches a merc in the third book in the trilogy
and they seem to be a well known and organised mercenary clan

ashc
20-08-2009, 13:55

In fact, its the whole mercenary company hired by Glaw that completely decimate Eisenhorn's operations...

Anyone from a guard regiment could realistically throw their lot in with a mercenary crowd, if psycho-indoctrinated space marines do, then i'm pretty sure average joe guardsman would.

It's a shame GW don't play up rebel, mercenary, renegade and traitor guardsmen some more in the army books.

Killgore
20-08-2009, 14:52
Id imagine that there would be an increased chance of a Guard regiment going Merc if they are abandoned on a world by the Imperium.

For example the troops left behind during the Damocles crusade, if those soldiers left behind manage to blag their way of planet with a Merchant ship they could effectivly slip through the imperial records as for all intents and purposes higher command would list them as MIA.

Col. Frost
20-08-2009, 15:01
A regiment left on a planet due for whatever reason manages to blag it's passage off and into the merc lifestyle is perfectly plausible.

Commissar's can simply be regarded as the commanders trusted aides that ensure his commands are carried out.

Cynisperer
04-09-2009, 15:18
A regiment left on a planet due for whatever reason manages to blag it's passage off and into the merc lifestyle is perfectly plausible.

Commissar's can simply be regarded as the commanders trusted aides that ensure his commands are carried out.

Well, Commissars are just displinary figures, and even merc groups need disipline, they'd just elect someone to be their "Commissar" so when some one gets out of line, instead of shooting their 'ead off, they give them 40 lashes... yay torture?:evilgrin:

Emperor's Grace
04-09-2009, 18:59
How about those left behind?

IIRC, thousands of IG were left behind in Tau space when the Imperium took off to fry bigger fish. Even if they didn't join the Tau, I imagine they might still feel a bit a bit sore at returning to the Imperium.

If it's an IG regiment still in communication with the Imperium, it will be assigned a Commissar. If he turns a blind eye to such actions, he's not doing his job, and will have to keep a wary eye out of an IG IG (Imperial Guard Inspector General), so extra curricular activity would have to conducted covertly, with all identfying marks removed.

Or the commissar's unaware of what's going on... ala WWII movies/MASH/etc...

Or the commissar's been... uh... replaced with a friendlier (to the unit) fellow.
Didn't we tell you captain? The other commisar just picked up and left one night last week. Weird, huh? Anyway, Dave here is his replacement, straight from Terra, came in on the last shuttle, right Dave?
As long as he acts the part, who would question the hasty patch on the back of his greatcoat? (Assuming remote station)

Torch Akimov
11-11-2010, 14:06
I've always wanted to do an IG Merc army. With the new codex I think I've come up with an OK take on the Merc theme, including fluff. As with the Dogs of War in Fantasy, my army includes a Paymaster (or an agent sent by whoever has hired them) he takes the form of the regimental standard bearer with the Company Command Squad, which has all advisors (the Master of Ordnance represents a kind of saboteur detonating pre-placed bombs) , 2 units of Stormtroopers, 6 units of Veterans and 6 Valkyries and 3 Vendettas. The gunships represent the way the Mercs get on a planet independently from their merchant vessel in orbit as well as acting like hovering tanks, so there is no need for any armour in my force.

Baneboss
11-11-2010, 14:55
As far as i understand the fluff reasoning going rogue for IG regiment wouldnt do any good because they would be most likely stuck on the planet with no ship to go.

Chem-Dog
11-11-2010, 18:40
guard regiments don't disband, you'd have units given garrison duty, and others essentially just wiped out. Your mercenaries would essentially be coming in small numbers from a number of different sources, the awol garrison troopers or retired vets who get bored with civilian life.

The problem is that IG enlist for the duration, if you can term that enlistment, so that if they wish to become mercenaries, they'd be quite old if they went the legitimate route.

IG regiments can be retired and sent back home after having served. It's possible that D-mobbed individuals could then go Merc.

idea for mercenaries: salvar chem dogs anybody? buch of drug addict kleptomaniacs seem like the type to me

I have a number of problems with that. :shifty:

If it's an IG regiment still in communication with the Imperium, it will be assigned a Commissar. If he turns a blind eye to such actions, he's not doing his job

Or Dead.

Vessorine Janissaries. A genuine example of an entirely independant mercenary business. They fight for coin and bear tattoos declaring their impartiality in any conflict and details of financial compensation for the safe return of captured warriors.

In Emperor's Mercy the entire ecconomy of the world of Orphrates relies upon the money earned by it's Purebloods, an elite eugenically bred soldier caste who are available to fight for pay.

As far as i understand the fluff reasoning going rogue for IG regiment wouldnt do any good because they would be most likely stuck on the planet with no ship to go.

Indeed it's stated as the primary intention of seperating the Imperial Guard and the Imperial Navy.

In discussing the 40K universe we're in a continual state of exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis where everything seems to be an exeption to a rule, so it's pretty much down to the individual to decide the background of his forces and make them fit in to 40K's theme.

That said it seems that a Mercenary army is most likely to be a culturally slanted organisation that has, by dint of it's long history, aquired practices and customs that in turn colour the culture. Wether selected by birthright or feat of arms the mercenaries can be expected to outperform their Imperial Guard counterparts in most aspects of warfare with an efficient, well equipped and well drilled force, much closer to Storm Troopers than to a regular guardsmen.

That's not to say an organisation or individual (Say, a Rogue Trader) couldn't conceivably hire individual IG veterans or even small groups, I quite like the idea of a company of hireling soldiers that served together in an IG regement prior to going freelance.

Legion details the Geno Five-Two who, while not a mercenary outfit and being distinctly M31 did practice a genetic reproduction process AND recruit proven warriors from elsewhere to act as new "material" for the reproductive process and to bring some unique battle experience as officers to the unit.

Brother Alexos
12-11-2010, 23:44
*opens thread that has been dead for almost a year*
How did you guys find this?

I thank you for the support, and for reminding me of my past ideas, it is quite refreshing to hear other's input on something this old (to me).

This is actually the weirdest coincedence, I was looking at the old Third Edition Imperial Guard Codex. I have found an Ig regiment I would very much like to create, called the Nordsian Berserkers. I was thinking how cool it would be to field these guys as a sort of Mercenary company fighting Tyranids. Kinda like if the Imperium hired them to fight the nids so that they didn't have to.

The Rogue Trader idea sounds like a feasible one, and I have actually been looking at a list that could potentially give me a base for this army. any other ideas?