PDA

View Full Version : Army for begginer

BRETELF
19-08-2009, 07:30
I am a fantasy player and am looking to get into 40k. Is there any army thats relativly easier than others to use. Maybe you could reccommend a couple.

Thanks

BrotherMoses
19-08-2009, 07:40
space marines are the usual beginner army.

BRETELF
19-08-2009, 07:46
Is there any chapter that might be easier to use?

Gorgoroth
19-08-2009, 07:47
Space marines are a good army to start with. Many people play them so most know the rules and can explain to you easily. They are also tactially well rounded and can be tailored to suit different play styles

BrotherMoses
19-08-2009, 07:48
You can use the Codex: Space Marines book. Its the general space marine codex. From there you can also read about lots of different chapters or making your own chapter. There are also lots of hard as nails special characters in there such as Chapter Master Darnath Lysander of the Imperial Fists.

BRETELF
19-08-2009, 07:53
Interesting, the space marine codex has all the chapters?

Born Again
19-08-2009, 08:10
Dark Angels, Black Templars, Space Wolves and Blood Angels have their own lists. Everyone else is included in the same Space Marines book.

Ilmarinen
19-08-2009, 08:15
Not exactly. The Space Marine Codex covers the codex chapters (the Ultramarines being GW's favourite!) with the option to choose from a few special characters that add a special rule to the basic army if you don't want pure vanilla. For example Kor'sarro Khan gives the army outflank.

Other space marine chapters have their own codexes - Dark Angels, Black Templars, Blood Angels (online PDF), and very shortly the new Space Wolves codex.

If you're thinking about a new army then do you have a preference on playstyle? Assaulty vs shooty?

I'd suggest that you have a look at the models too, as it's easier to maintain interest in an army that you think looks cool.

+Edit+ Gak! Ninja'd!

BrotherMoses
19-08-2009, 08:17
Ehhh it has most chapters. There are 4 chapters that have separate codeces. These chapters were deemed individual enough to warrant their own codex. These chapters are Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Black Templars, and Space Wolves. Their codeces are used to represent themselves and their successor chapters. Feel free to read up on these chapters as well. I suggested the Codex: Space Marines codex because they are the newest codex, covering the most options, and have the most up-to-date rules. Space Wolves have the oldest codex, BUT they have a brand new codex coming very soon. So it might be an excellent time to get into Space Wolves if you find them to your liking. Take your time getting in. Check out your options. There are other armies besides Space Marines as well, but they're the usual beginner army. You may wish to go to the Games Workshop site and read up on the different armies for 40k there. They have a 'Getting Started' page there that can break down the different armies for you.

Metaphorazine
19-08-2009, 10:12
I havn't played marines, but I'd recommend Orks as a beginner army in a heart-beat. There's very few "bad" choices (some would go so far as to say there are no bad choices), the army looks great, and it's a whole lotta fun. From what I hear, Orcs in fantasy are a terrible choice, but in 40k they're brilliant.

Poseidal
19-08-2009, 10:24
Rather than go for a 'beginner' army, go for one that appeals to you. One problem with SM is they ignore some of the rules, so while you learn the basic structure you never feel the 'gravity' of a sweeping advance so much.

If you really like Space Marines though, go for them. The same is true for all armies I would say though. The main problem with some other armies is cost and/or having many metal minis or limited range though, but most of the 'major' races are reasonably well covered.

Read a bit about the playstyles, look and/or background of the armies, if one appeals to you then you can go that way. Go with whichever is most important to you (eg. the way they play, the way they look or the backgroud).

Note that playstyle can be quite modular, as Space Marines can do all bike lists, drop pod list, mechanised lists and others; Eldar have a large variety, as do Orks and Chaos.

guillaume
19-08-2009, 11:34
I agree with Poseidal.

But also, and I believe foremost, you should play an army that you like the looks of the models.

I play lizardmen because of the models, I play ogres (i actually use confrontation wolgres) because i love the models, and finally i play Daemonhunters because I love the grey knights and grey knights termies.

Anything else, rules, fluff....is secondary. If you don't like the models, then they will become a chore to put together and paint.

my 2 cents

Rogue
19-08-2009, 19:24
I am in the same situation as you are in BRETELF. I have heard good reviews of the AoBR boxset and for $60, it looks like a good deal to me (my LGS still has several and is not changing the prices until he sells out). I have the spruce that came with last years WD on the boxset with the lone terminator and Ork Nob, and they dont look like the weird models that the Skull Pass got. These two armies are not my first choice, but they are armies that I have some interest in and they proabably would be easier to learn the rules on than my first choice.

I would recommend reading through this thread:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215513

I havent seen anything specific for Space Marines that I can point you to, but in other threads I have rarely seen anyone state that they cannot stand the SM portion of the box.

As said before if you cannot stand the look of these two armies, then I would recommend finding the rulebook on e-bay dirt cheap and see if the rules are anything that interest you.

BRETELF
19-08-2009, 22:46
I like the look of tyranids,eldar,necrons,Ultramarines and blood angels.

Aesc
19-08-2009, 22:52
I agree that the best thing is to find models you like. Some armies are more forgiving than others, true. But if you can't stand the army you have to build, paint, and play, it won't matter how forgiving it is.

CrownAxe
19-08-2009, 23:02
Instead of looking for an easy army to start, pick the army you like most and learn them.

Look at the models, read some of their background. Do a little research and pick the army you like most

BRETELF
19-08-2009, 23:10
When did eldar get updated? does anyone know? I know space marines got updated recently.

I know that blood angels, tyranids,necrons will be somewhat soon.

ashc
19-08-2009, 23:52
My advice is the same in every one of these threads.

Go for the army that has the most appealing models to you, and don't worry about what anyone else says.

Kelkyen
20-08-2009, 00:06
If you like Space Marines or Orks...

I would suggest Assault on Black Reach. You get a good lot of minis for the price. Later when you want to expand, you just add another Space Marine Tactical squad and another Ork Boys Mob and you have two fully legal armies. Then you have an army to play and an army to let a friend play.

Even if you only want one of the armies, you can trade off the other to get more of the minis you want.

BRETELF
20-08-2009, 00:11
Assult on black breach. Yah i dont like orks, the only thing i like from the ork army are the meganobs.

Drakon
20-08-2009, 00:44
What do you play in fantasy, maybe that will give an insight to what you like.

Out of what you said i say tyranids but thats just my choice. Maybe warseer should start a thread best armies for new beginners to avoid these poping up all over the place ... just a thought...

magnum12
20-08-2009, 01:33
1. Do you prefer close combat (a), shooting (b), or balanced (c)?
2. Horde (d), elite (e), or balanced (f)?
3. Tanks, monsters, or both?

These are the armies you would like based on whatever you chose. These answers
a. Close Combat: Chaos Daemons, Chaos Space Marines (Khorne, Slaanesh), Black Templar, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Orks, Tyranids.
b. Shooting: Imperial Guard, Witch Hunters, Tau, Chaos Space Marines (Tzeentch), Necrons.
c. Balanced: Space Marines, Dark Angels, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Chaos Space Marines (undivided though tend to focus more on assault than shooting compared to space marines), Daemon Hunters.
d. Horde: Imperial Guard, Orks, Tyranids (except Nidzilla).
e. Elite: Space Marines (Black Templar are more horde like relative to other marine like armies), Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Nids (Nidzilla), Necron, Daemon Hunters.
f. Balanced: Tau, Chaos Daemons, Witch Hunters, Dark Eldar.
g. Monsters: If you don't like monsters, then rule out Tyranids and Chaos Daemons.

The army with the most matches based on this questionare is the most likely one you'll have the most fun with. In case of a tie, what models appeal most to you?

Captain Micha
20-08-2009, 02:48
It depends what you like.

Imperial Guard make a great starting army (you'll definitely know how to paint properly by the end of your first list :p).

Do you like the Zerg, Starshiptrooper bugs, aliens? Alot? Ever think it'd be awesome to have a swarm of gribbly carnivorous aliens? *and who hasn't!* Tyranid are for you if so.

Did you like the colonial marines, and the humans of starship troopers? Do you like Republic Troopers from Star Wars? The Guard are for you.

It really depends on your playstyle.

I'd say out of all the armies I've dabbled with, the Ig appear to be the most User Friendly, followed by the Space Marines, and third place being probably the Eldar.

Of course once you start IG really there's no room for any other army in your life. :evilgrin: Plastic Crack the Imperial Guard are.

BaronVonSnakPak
20-08-2009, 03:08
gotta love those kasrkin models.

magnum12
20-08-2009, 04:07
Agreed on the point regarding a beginner FAQ. A good one should have a general synopsis of army strengths and weaknesses. This should include what general sections of unit selections in the codex are good/bad. For example, IG elite choices are weak sauce, but their Heavy Support section is one of the best in the game.

Beginners should stay away from Eldar and Dark Eldar. Some of the most difficult races to learn how to play properly.

Space Marines and Tau are the easiest armies to paint though like mentioned before, IG gives a great painting learning experience.

If you like tanks, Imperial Guard is the way to go.

Umbar
20-08-2009, 04:12
Coming from someone who started with Tau and Tyranids and settled on Chaos Marines, I recommend some sort of Marine Equivalent (Abbreviated MEQ) army.

BRETELF
20-08-2009, 04:22
I play high elves,vampire counts and bretonnians for fantasy. I like a bit of balance, but in fantasy you dont have too much shooting so i would like some shooting obviously, and im a fan for close combat so balance is good. Something simple and not too complex. I like monsters too.

dariakus
20-08-2009, 04:23
Sounds like Marines are right up your alley.

BRETELF
20-08-2009, 04:25
Dariakus, if i was to get marines i would get blood angels. But i dont want to buy a whole bunch of models and then have to buy new ones because of the book update early next year. Im not saying that because i wanna jump on the bandwagon for a new book. I think i like blood angels and tyranids.

polymphus
20-08-2009, 04:41
i would like some shooting obviously, and im a fan for close combat so balance is good. Something simple and not too complex. I like monsters too.

Sounds like Black Legion (Chaos Marines) might be right up your alley here. They're a fairly easy army to get to grips with, they have CC (bezerkers, daemons), shooting (noise marines, normal chaos marine squads) and big monsters (defiler, daemon prince) while still being an easy army for beginners to get the hang of.

The devil on my shoulder whispers 'play Tau...', but that's just me. :p

BRETELF
20-08-2009, 04:50
yah i guess its up in the air, The problem with everyone saying pick an army you like the look of, is that i like the look of alot of them. I like the idea of metal space skelitons, i like big monsters, i like shooting, i like vehicles. The only thing i wouldent get would be imperial guard and sisters of battle.

magnum12
20-08-2009, 05:14
Based on your responses (balance of shooting and assault, easy to learn, and liking monsters) my conclusion is that you'll have the most fun with Chaos Space Marines, more specifically a Chaos Undivided style army. With Chaos, you can get away with painting certain squads to be from different legions (World Eaters Khorne Berserkers, Iron Warriors Oblits, etc) and it would still make sense. From a modeling point of view, CSM can be very fun for conversions. Painting them is harder than loyalist space marines. More moderate difficulty.

Blood Angels and Nids are getting new codices in the next coming year. Both armies are very assault heavy with relatively weak shooting. BA focus their forces on one spot of the board. They get Assault Marines (guys on jet packs) as troop choices instead of fast attack slots.

Drakon
20-08-2009, 11:40
...The problem with everyone saying pick an army you like the look of, is that i like the look of alot of them....

Buy them all thats my plan :evilgrin:

Captain Micha
21-08-2009, 00:55
Hey now, Blood Angels haven't been confirmed yet.

*or did I miss an announcement by The Dude, Brimstone, or Harry?*

Well you like monsters, a mix of shooting and assault. Tyranids sound like the proper way to go. No one does monsters quite like the bugs. (except for Daemons but I have no experience with them or against them at all so I can't comment on them)

Nids can make a pretty damned shooty army (actually I feel they shoot better than they assault right now) and can do very well in assault. And they are all monsters.

I noticed you said you like the Crons *don't blame you at all there... whistles innocently about my sig*, I'd hold off on them for the time being.

Chaos Marines also bring a decent amount of monsters to the table while being decent at shooting. They have Daemons, and Marines. They are pretty easy to learn with, and decent at painting. They really can teach you alot about converting miniatures too though.