PDA

View Full Version : Defensive / Outnumbered Chaos Warriors

AndyGI
19-08-2009, 11:04
Hey guys

We're playing a small map campaign at the moment, the basic premise is that on the map, a banner is 1250 points worth of army, if there is a neighbouring banner on the map, they can lend an extra 250 pts.

I played lizardmen last week and lost, 4 units of skinks with blow pipes eventually cut through my armour.

So this week we fight again, except this time he's got an extra 250pts worth.

So i figured I need to play defensive / points denial.

How to do this with 1250 points?

I'm thinking lots of nurgle warriors, knights of tzeentch with the blasted standard.

Does a chosen bunker work at this level?

Any thoughts / hints?

Arguleon-veq
19-08-2009, 11:20
Knights will run through him, especially skinks. You dont need to play defensive.

If you want to you could probably overwhelm him with magic at this points level. Rod of Torment will make a mess of any skink unit.

PeG
19-08-2009, 11:58
Hit him hard and fast with knights and/or magic. Minimum core as caster bunkers unless you want your casters in combat (which they can be rather good at). Dont take warriors/chosen as combat units since they are to slow and will get shot at a large number of times before getting into combat.

What did you use last time when you lost?

AndyGI
19-08-2009, 12:16
My 1250 point list was

Exhalted Hero on foot

lvl 1 nurgle sorceror on foot (buboes sniping)

11 Warriors (hw/shield)

6 Nurgle Knight w/Festering Shroud

3 Trolls

5 Marauder Horsemen

5 Chaos Hounds

Nurgle Chariot

PeG
19-08-2009, 12:24
A very different list from what I normally see. I would drop the exhalted hero either for more points in for example knights or for another caster. How did your trolls do? Most lists I see at this point level has two units of knights creating two fast targets with high AS.

AndyGI
19-08-2009, 12:40
The trolls were in with my sorceror to keep their leadership up. He fired off a volley of shots on them first turn and they regen'd to get an extra attack (useful) but they got a bit shafted on the combat res against his big block of saurus as it took me 3 turns to wipe out the salamanders unit with my knights (first combat i only won by 1, due to failing 2 3+ armour saves, then second turn he got insane courage)

Havock
19-08-2009, 13:33
bad luck is always a poor indicator of effectiveness.
I say go hard on him: Tzeentch flying circus or go knight heavy (and I mean -heavy-) and storm through his units.

Drachen_Jager
19-08-2009, 16:58
WoC doesn't really do defensive or points denial. Your best bet is to hit him hard, that is the speciality of WoC.

Knights work well as they give your opponent less time to shoot you up.

mikepm07
19-08-2009, 23:26
WoC doesn't really do defensive or points denial. Your best bet is to hit him hard, that is the speciality of WoC.

Knights work well as they give your opponent less time to shoot you up.

Chosen + Warshrine + Sorc Lord is an incredibly effective point denial unit.

Drachen_Jager
20-08-2009, 01:24
mikepm07: Have you tried it out or is this just theoryhammer? I doubt you could make it work in a game I know I'd have a fairly easy time beating anyone trying that (and you can't take a lord at 1250 points anyhow). Also, most people differentiate between "Death Star" and "points denial" because they are really two very different styles of play although I assume you're lumping them together here, "points denial" is normally a quick shooty/magicy army that can spend the entire game avoiding close combat and pick opponents off at the edges.

PeG
20-08-2009, 01:43
Chosen + Warshrine + Sorc Lord is an incredibly effective point denial unit.

I dont see how this would work in reallity. I play a lot against WoC and with a decent magical defence (which is really important where I play) I would probably shoot this unit to pieces. At 1250 points it will eat up a large portion of your points even with a hero instead of a lord and it is an easy target to marchblock and then shoot.

mikepm07
20-08-2009, 02:53
mikepm07: Have you tried it out or is this just theoryhammer? I doubt you could make it work in a game I know I'd have a fairly easy time beating anyone trying that (and you can't take a lord at 1250 points anyhow). Also, most people differentiate between "Death Star" and "points denial" because they are really two very different styles of play although I assume you're lumping them together here, "points denial" is normally a quick shooty/magicy army that can spend the entire game avoiding close combat and pick opponents off at the edges.

I have played with a more mild version of the death star I'm describing below with great success. I only take 11 Chosen instead of the 17+ to really create a points denial unit.

In 1250 I suppose you would use a Sorcerer rather than a Sorcerer Lord.

Ok well with Favor of Gods on the champion, plus a warhsrine, and some clever choosing on the EoTG table, by turn two or three, you are quite likely to have gotten the Stubborn/4+ Ward roll (feel free to search the forums for the math here, I've seen it, but don't recall the exact numbers.) If you're really going crazy add two warshrines and its almost a sure thing by turn two.

No one wants to attack this unit for obvious reasons. Therefore it is a perfect place to bunker a mage. If you wanted to go for a Chosen deathstar, I would do

17 Chosen
+ Mark of Tzeentch
+ Full Command
+ Favor of the Gods
+ Banner of Rage
+ Halberds
+ Shields

and stick a Sorcerer Lord, which will clock in somewhere around 400 points. The typical Chosen soldier in that unit is capable of 3 WS 6 attacks at str 4 or 5, a 2+ (hw/shield)/3++, is stubborn, and has a frenzy it can't lose, therefore is also ITP. Naturally you have to chose Halberds or HW/Shield depending on the opponent.

Naturally, you would include a warshrine or two, hiding behind the unit (if the point is to create points denial.)

As far as point denial death stars go this one ranks up there. You could always add more Chosen but then it gets silly.

The whole thing is going to cost you somewhere around 950 points. More if you decide to add extra ranks of chosen.

Drachen_Jager
20-08-2009, 04:33
I don't know who you play against, but against me and most of my opponents that would get chewed to bits. Then again people are always telling me how my Khorne list is weak so who knows? Maybe you have some awesome technique to pull it off.