PDA

View Full Version : Why a Plasma Gun?

Shadow Marine
19-08-2009, 15:00
Hi,

I run a Witch Hunters army and include a Priest. I have looked back at various entries for Priests and 1 of them can have a Plasma gun. I was wondering what the reason behind this was a Plasma gun hardly seems like a suitable weapon to give to a priest, a flamer would be more common and more cost effective.

Any one got any ideas why Priests would take a plasma gun.

snottlebocket
19-08-2009, 15:05
Hi,

I run a Witch Hunters army and include a Priest. I have looked back at various entries for Priests and 1 of them can have a Plasma gun. I was wondering what the reason behind this was a Plasma gun hardly seems like a suitable weapon to give to a priest, a flamer would be more common and more cost effective.

Any one got any ideas why Priests would take a plasma gun.

Religious lunatics love overkill. Also, there's an awesome priest miniature wielding a plasmagun.

Bob Hunk
19-08-2009, 15:08
As snottlebocket said, it's probably just to accomodate that classic 'Priest with Plasmagun' model. GW have left slightly odd options in to allow the use of classic models in the past, although the only example I can think of right now was giving Khorne Bezerkers the option to take boltguns in the 3.5 Chaos codex.

Shatter
19-08-2009, 15:14
To accommodate certain models--also, I prefer melta weaponry, myself. Even if I'm not in half range, it's one more Str and one less AP without the Gets Hot!

The Clairvoyant
19-08-2009, 16:29
Other classic models getting options include the razorback with lascannon+twin plasma guns and ummm, can't think of any others

Bloodknight
19-08-2009, 16:50
There's a priest with a plasmagun model. Actually the SoB used to have a special character who was armed with one (Cardinal Armandus Hellfire or something like that, I only have the German version of the 2nd ed. codex).

Ekranoplan
19-08-2009, 16:59
I wish IG preists has the option for the plasma gun, then I could use that model. Its not the most cost effective way to get a plasma gun certainly, but it certainly is the coolest.

Then of course, the new IG codex has removed alot of options for the commanders and commissars(shotguns, boltguns) despite some great shotgun wielding lieutenants.

Dangersaurus
19-08-2009, 21:18
Ahh, nice to know. I've got a couple of priests with special weapons (converted Redemptionists, actually.) I've been meaning to pick up one or both of the Inquisition codices, now I've got another reason.

I wish more characters in general could have access to special weapons - I've got a lot of figures that I can't use in the current game from 2nd edition.

Sure, in 2nd you could take ten independent mekboys/techmarines with plasma, melta or (kustom) combiweapons and it hardly dented your points total. However, between the FOC restrictions and the flattening of the statline, I don't think special weapon ICs are that horrible any more.

ashc
19-08-2009, 21:46
It is so you can field the classic priest with plasmagun (an awesome model in my opinion).

Nothing more.

Aesc
19-08-2009, 22:56
Because plasma pistols are fun.

decker_cky
20-08-2009, 00:17
Gun...not pistol. ;)

Edonil
20-08-2009, 00:31
Which, I have to say, is one of the...most questionable outfittings for a Priest in the book. Half the time he'd be able to shoot it, he isn't allowed to.

ashc
20-08-2009, 00:37
Hey, as ever, cool model >> rules for GW! :D

JHZ
20-08-2009, 01:25
I'll also put my money on "because they have a model for that too."

Occulto
20-08-2009, 03:34
It is so you can field the classic priest with plasmagun (an awesome model in my opinion).

Nothing more.

I've always used mine as a Warrior in an Inquisitor's retinue.

player21
20-08-2009, 09:47
Easy one, to purge the hertic. Flamers are good, wow did I really say flamers where goodn but plasma gets those spikey boys real good. Plus there is model for it.

Lothlanathorian
20-08-2009, 10:29
If you want to purge someone and purge them good, would you rather set them on fire or shoot them with the sun? Besides, awesome model is awesome. Not sure if anyone mentioned how cool it is yet.