PDA

View Full Version : Smaller games - 1000 pts

shartmatau
20-08-2009, 13:22
Hey everyone,

I was wondering about how you feel on playing smaller games.

At my store the average game seems to be 2250 for fantasy. I was hoping to start a new army soon but want to actually learn how to use it well. So my plan was to build 1000 pts and see how it plays.

What are your thoughts on small point games? which armies tend to suffer? which ones do well?

I'm leaning towards Empire or Brets.

FictionalCharacter
20-08-2009, 13:57
most of my games are 1000 points vc against empire. it seems like empire leaves you a whole host of options for 1000 points, although empire has a whole bunch of options anyway.

i've found that vc suffer a bit in smaller games in which they can't really get much magic going other than the dull, unfriendly IoN spam. but vampires' base stats are good enough to bring a lot of pain in smaller games. ws6, s5, t4, 3 attacks can catch a lot of armies off guard at 1k. it just seems like smaller games aren't the best for bringing out what makes vc fun, whether that be combat vamps, awesome items like helm of command, or non-necromancy spells.

the only other army i've played recently at 1k is dwarves, which didn't leave too many options because at least two large blocks of warriors are basically mandatory and expensive. i was pretty much left quibbling over balancing how many units of thunderers and war machines i could take. meh.

PeG
20-08-2009, 14:52
I like 1k point games, they are fast, easy to set up but still allows for taking a mixture of units. If you drop the point level to for exmaple 500 points you wont have much more then minumum core which in my opinion doesnt give as fun games. Playing at 1k instead of 2k or 2250 changes the power balance a bit since no Lords are allowed and that it limits the number of large monsters etc that will be on the board.
Currently I would say that empire usually benefits from smaller games. The army I play the most is WE that also benefits from small games. Shooty WE at 500 points can kill almost anything while for example tomb kings are more or les sunable to play games with less then 1k points and suffer also at that point level.

Jushak
20-08-2009, 15:32
I like 1k point games, they are fast, easy to set up but still allows for taking a mixture of units. If you drop the point level to for exmaple 500 points you wont have much more then minumum core which in my opinion doesnt give as fun games. Playing at 1k instead of 2k or 2250 changes the power balance a bit since no Lords are allowed and that it limits the number of large monsters etc that will be on the board.
Currently I would say that empire usually benefits from smaller games. The army I play the most is WE that also benefits from small games. Shooty WE at 500 points can kill almost anything while for example tomb kings are more or les sunable to play games with less then 1k points and suffer also at that point level.

Back when fantasy was more popular at my club - and when I myself played 40K actively - I remember most games being played at 1999 points just to force lords out of the game pretty much. Some of the players thought that lords took a lot of the tactic out of the game, or something like that.

I've only really been able to play smaller games with my WoC thus far and I do feel it leaves me with very limited list, although this is mostly because my aim is to go magic-heavy Nurgle. In 1000 points two Nurgle sorcerers is already ~30% of points with minimal equipment.

shartmatau
20-08-2009, 15:54
I do love playing with a lord, its fun to see the heroic fights they can get into. One of the reasons my store tends to play 2250 is so that you still have a regular 2000 pt army then about 250 to spend on the lord. Of course some Lords are more expensive than others, especially when those dragons show up to fight.

My aim is more to learn how to play better. I feel starting small I can put a force together fairly quickly, not spend a ton of money, and learn how it works. Then after I see whats working and whats not I can always expand it later.

Just from points costs Empire seem to able to play well in smaller games. Their core are cheap enough to still have several units and the character don't cost a ton. Empire also have the disadvantages of being poor leadership and generally poor troops, which will hopefully teach me to play better.

Dungeon_Lawyer
20-08-2009, 16:03
small games can be great fun. I play skink vs goblins all the time at under 1000 points. Just dont try to go elitetroop/herohammer crazy and most armies will do fine.

azindal
20-08-2009, 16:59
My current group have recently got back into Whfb we have all started at 1000pts.
From what i have seen, Chaos are limited quite badly & Vamps can struggle at a low bracket like that.

However as long as you dnt go over the top on heros/special ect any army works quite well and you can have fun tactical games.

N810
21-08-2009, 19:16
My crew has worked it's way up from 250 - 1000 points,
we can still get 2 or 3 games off a night...
and we have had one crazy 3 on 3 match with 1000 points an army. :eek:

Catferret
22-08-2009, 06:34
At some point in the near future I am going to be organising a Mighty Empires campaign for some friends. I decided to set the points limit at 1k as it allows people to start a fresh army based on a theme they would never get round to doing at larger sizes. Also fits the campaign theme of small garrisons or raiding forces. Final reason is you can fit a lot more games into a weekend by playing smaller armies, some folks just can't play during the week.