PDA

View Full Version : When you overrun a unit do you pursue towards where they would've ended up?

Shadowfax
20-08-2009, 21:05
Just wondering how you settle on the pursuit direction. Guesstimate where the fleeing unit would have ended up if they had been able to complete their flight?

What if the unit would have fled into the middle of a friendly unit, and would have had to be placed on the other side of it?

Tarian
20-08-2009, 21:23
I pursue in the direction they're fleeing? (Away from enemy w/ highest US in the fight) and units end up on the other side of any friendly unit.

stripsteak
20-08-2009, 21:56
overrun is a pursuit move done directly forwards pg 43. it follows the rules for pursuit moves also given on the same page.

T10
20-08-2009, 22:04
The OP seems to be under the impression that a broken unit wil normally move directly away from the center of the enemy unit. This is not the case - the broken unit pivots 0, 90 or 180 degrees and flees straight forward. All pursuing units pivot and move parallel with the fleeing unit's path.

This is different from how the unit flees from a charge.

Units that overrun, however, simply move straight forward even if the destroyed unit would typically have fled in a different direction had it broken in close combat.

Shadowfax
21-08-2009, 02:51
I did a poor job of explaining my question. Photoshop to the rescue!

Assume Unit A breaks from the combat. My understanding is that they will flee away from Unit 1 because it is the opponent with the highest unit strength. Both Unit 1 and Unit 2 elect to pursue. The cavalry roll first and do not match the fleer's roll, but do have the distance to pursue into Unit B. However, Unit 1, second to roll, matches the flight distance, and destroys Unit A.

So would Unit 2 end up pursuing towards where the fleer was heading, and therefore pursue into a new combat?

Tarian
21-08-2009, 02:53
Yes, assuming that unit A was fleeing directly away from unit 1. (i.e. straight Right) Unit 2 would pivot to face the direction Unit A is fleeing then move the number of inches they rolled in that direction.

T10
21-08-2009, 07:25
I did a poor job of explaining my question. Photoshop to the rescue!

Assume Unit A breaks from the combat. My understanding is that they will flee away from Unit 1 because it is the opponent with the highest unit strength. Both Unit 1 and Unit 2 elect to pursue. The cavalry roll first and do not match the fleer's roll, but do have the distance to pursue into Unit B. However, Unit 1, second to roll, matches the flight distance, and destroys Unit A.

So would Unit 2 end up pursuing towards where the fleer was heading, and therefore pursue into a new combat?

No.

Assuming Unit A escapes, it will pivot on the spot and move in the direction of the blue arrow and end up in the position indicated.

Unit 1 then moves straight ahead in the same direction (the blue arrow) but stops when it comes into contact with unit 2.

Unit 2 then pivots to face in the same direction as the blue arrow. Unit B is in its path, though, so one of two things can happen:

1. The pursuit move is too short to bring it into contact with unit B. Unit 2 moves straight ahead and stops.

2. The pursuit move is sufficient to bring it into contact with unit B. Unit 2 performs a charge move towards unit B: One wheel to maximise contact, one free wheel to align. Movement is limited by the pursuit move roll.

-T10

Shadowfax
21-08-2009, 07:35
So pursuit direction is always according to the facing of the units, and not their centre-points?

I didn't know about being able to wheel during a pursuit either.

Milgram
21-08-2009, 07:35
unit 1 moves first due to the higher unit strengh. just for clarification.

yes, you pivot in order to face the same direction as the highest unit strenght and move then straight ahead.

you do not wheel during a pursuit unless there is an enemy in the way. then you can wheel in order to charge him. but he has to be in the way before you wheel.

narrativium
21-08-2009, 08:41
You can't wheel during a pursuit. You get the free wheel to align if your pursuit takes you into a new enemy, but you clip rather than maximise as the troops are intent on moving directly after the fleeing unit.

Atrahasis
21-08-2009, 09:32
Page 45 disagrees, narrativium.

narrativium
21-08-2009, 09:47
Dagnabbit and blast. I will revise my rulebook more thoroughly.

EvC
21-08-2009, 12:30
I think the 100th person I have to show that rule to will get a prize. The only annoying thing is that you're knowingly arguing in favour of clipping, whhhhhyyyyyy?

T10
21-08-2009, 12:37
I didn't know about being able to wheel during a pursuit either.

Only if your straight-ahead pursuit would bring you into contact with the target. In that case you don't make the straight-ahead pursuit move, but make a charge move instead.

Edit: which means I'm trying to say something like this:

you do not wheel during a pursuit unless there is an enemy in the way. then you can wheel in order to charge him. but he has to be in the way before you wheel.

-T10