4 Terradons
= 120pts

RARE

Salamander
= 75pts

Salamander
= 75pts

TOTAL POINTS = 1999pts

Anyone like it? The list has 2 main combat blocks supported by the cav and the skinks. The cheap skink units will be throw away units while the salamanders will assist the cav on the flanks.
Time of Madness

Kayosiv
21-08-2009, 03:29
I find your list interesting, and by interesting I mean it has no giant monsters, no stegs, and no Carnosaurs.

I think you've over equipped your Skink Priest. As a single level 2 caster, most armies are going to shut down your magic phase completely, and without a mount, the only place he really has to hang out are in units of skinks. Either consider getting a second priest, mount this one on an engine of the gods, or don't bother. If you really feel like you have to have the skink priest, he'd be just as effective at level 1.

Also not seeing the use of the Oldblood. You're paying 60 points for a minor upgrade in stats and armor. A Scar Vet with a sword of might is nearly as effective. Obviously the Oldblood will be better, but it'll cost over 100 points. If you plan on your Oldblood rushing into combat and killing stuff go for it, but if you just plan on him sitting in a unit of Saurus for most of the game I think you're better off with the Sar-vet.

So I get the Saurus are the anvil, the Cold one Knights are the Hammer, but what are the skinks? Shooting? What do you plan on using the skinks for, because if it's only shooting, I'd lose the ranked ones and just get more skirmishers.

Instead of 2 units of Cold one Calv, I'd go for a unit of 3 Kroxigar. For about the same price, you get nearly as an effective unit. Krox aren't as good a fighters, nor are the as fast, but they are fairly close, not nearly as vulnerable to attacks that ignore armor (with their 3 wounds each) and most important of all, they will never go stupid on you. Of course also, they always attack at strength 6, not strength 5 on the charge and strength 4 otherwise. Having more diversity will be a good thing, because sometimes you just will want to have 1 thing be tied up by high armor units and sometimes you just really need that strength 6. Another possibility would be to combine the 2 units of ranked skinks and place the Kroxigar in there.

Time of Madness
21-08-2009, 09:09
Thanks for the comments. Here's a quick rundown of my responses.

- The level 2 priest with diadem is excellent for magic defense. He allows me to store my casting dice and use them as dispel dice. Alternatively if my opponent didn't bring any magic defense I can play him more offensively casting 2 spells a turn. The extra 35pts is worth the flexibility in my opinion.

- The ranked units of skinks act as re-directors/baiters/flankers etc etc. They play an important role as units that are suppose to die to set up better positions for the rest of my army.

- I agree about the krox. I really like them, but felt the extra Movement/speed of the cav might help me out.

- And yes the oldblood is rather expensive :(

Time of Madness

Kayosiv
21-08-2009, 21:22
Where do you plan to put your priest? The only place I can see that he'd go is maybe inside the unit of Skink skirmishers. He seems awfully vulnerable with no ward save out in the open.

I think you could skim off some Terradons, and perhaps downgrade the oldblood into a scar vet. That'd give you more than enough points to get either another scar vet (who could ride around with the knights) or another skink priest to help out your magic phase. Or, for that matter, a skink chief on a terradon to give them some hitting power, but that really depends what you want to do with your terradons.