PDA

View Full Version : Magic weapons, newb question

eyescrossed
21-08-2009, 02:48
Hi all, can Magic weapons be combined with shields? I ask because I was wondering also if the only DE Magic weapon you could would be the Whip of Agony, as it specifically states it's a hand weapon, so can be combined.

Am I wrong?

Tarian
21-08-2009, 02:51
If you're talking about the hand weapon/shield bonus, then yes only magic weapons that are also hand weapons will give the bonus. If it's just "Can I use a shield and a Magic Weapon", unless stated otherwise, you can.

eyescrossed
21-08-2009, 02:53
Oh, sorry, I was referring to the "parrying" bonus from hw/shield. Thanks for the quick answer.

Tarian
21-08-2009, 02:55
No problem, glad to help.

EDIT: It should be noted that the Magic Weapon itself has to be described as a hand weapon. A "Sword of Might" is not a hand weapon as it does not state "hand weapon" in its effect text. This also applies to other hand weapon bonuses, like 2 hand weapons.

eyescrossed
21-08-2009, 03:06
Yes yes, I realise this :)

Now I'm thinking of giving my Master the Whip of Agony... Hmm... 0+ save when fighting from the front on a Cold One, and 3 Str5 Armour Piercing attacks on the charge? Yes please :D

Shadowfax
21-08-2009, 05:15
Yes yes, I realise this :)

Now I'm thinking of giving my Master the Whip of Agony... Hmm... 0+ save when fighting from the front on a Cold One, and 3 Str5 Armour Piercing attacks on the charge? Yes please :D
You only get the "parry" bonus if you're fighting on foot, iirc.

Unuhexium
21-08-2009, 05:51
BRB p.56 says models on foot only for the HW&S bonus. Furthermore, the same page refers to hand weapons as "any weapon held in one hand and not otherwise covered by the rules". A Whip of Agony has additional rules and as such is not a hand weapon unless is has some rule along the lines of "This weapon counts as a hand weapon..." or "...can be combined with a shield for extra armourbonus..." Otherwise you just get the normal +1 armour that you always get from shields.

WLBjork
21-08-2009, 06:02
Which it does - the text "Hand Weapon" in the rules is accepted as shorthand for stating that is gains all the benefits of being a hand weapon.

eyescrossed
25-08-2009, 05:08
My bad. Now it looks like there's no point taking the Whip of Agony over the Crimson Death while on a Cold One.

jrodrag
25-08-2009, 07:39
the Whip of Agony will work with a shield as stated if on foot but will not work with an xtra handweapon to grant +1 attack. You have to have another rule allowing you to combine a magic weapon with a mundane to be able to use it that way.

nosferatu1001
25-08-2009, 10:12
....to add to the above this is because you cannot use any other weapon while using a magic weapon: you need the rules text to explicitly allow this, otherwise it is just the shield bonus you are able to get, and then only if on foot....

mr_vespa
25-08-2009, 17:34
Either way, you cannot claim a parry bonus with most magical hand weapons, because magical hand weapons are almost never referred to as 'hand weapons'. You would just get the normal +1 bonus for carrying a shield, it would not increase to +2 in melee. The parry bonus, of course, only applies when a model is on foot.

The only advantage the whip would have over the Crimson Death on a Cold One is it can be used along with a shield in melee, improving the rider's save by 1 (whereas the Crimson Death user could not claim a shield bonus to his armour for using a 2-handed weapon).

Malorian
25-08-2009, 17:42
Either way, you cannot claim a parry bonus with most magical hand weapons, because magical hand weapons are almost never referred to as 'hand weapons'.

Three cheers for dwarfs and their runed hand weapons :D

Drachen_Jager
25-08-2009, 19:06
If you want the 0+ save you need to take the Enchanted Shield.

stripsteak
25-08-2009, 20:26
Three cheers for dwarfs and their runed hand weapons :D

dwarfs don't have runed hand weapons once you apply a rune you lose all the mundane bonuses of the weapons

Malorian
25-08-2009, 21:52
dwarfs don't have runed hand weapons once you apply a rune you lose all the mundane bonuses of the weapons

That's fight, so handweapons stay as hand weapons and great weapons lose the +2 str.

nosferatu1001
25-08-2009, 22:46
No, they're not. "hand weapon" is a weapon with no special characteristics. A runic weapon is no longer a hand weapon.