PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Infantry Heavy HE

Lord Dan
21-08-2009, 18:54
First time for HE with the new book. Here's what I came up with (forgive me, it's from memory so I'm bound to misspell something or forget a name):

Prince
Reaver bow, vabrances of defense, heavy armor, shield, great weapon, tiranoc chariot

Noble
BSB, 4+ ward save light armor, great weapon

Mage
Lv. 2, Scroll, seer staff (I think. It's the one that allows him to choose his spells)

Mage
Lv. 2, Scroll, sacred incense

18 Spearmen
Full command

18 Spearmen
Full command

15 Pheonix Guard
Full command

12 White Lions
Musician

5 Shadow Warriors

Tiranoc Chariot

Tiranoc Chariot

Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower

Eagle

I think it goes just over 2250. The idea here is to move at least two of the chariots up a flank. The spearmen should stay centralized with the lions protecting a flank as they move up the middle. The pheonix guard are in the list because they're my favorite models in the game, so any attempt to convince me to drop them will fail (fair warning ;)). I've found shadow warriors are a great investment not because they do any real damage, but because they slow my opponent down just enough for me to move into an advantageous position. I threw my lord on a chariot with the bow so he can take pot shots at whatever unit he plans on charging (with support from another chariot, obviously), though I'm not sold on his build. The BSB also seems kind of lackluster. Finally the mage with the incense will go in whatever unit I feel is going to be exposed to the most firing.

I'll be playing this list against a friend within the next couple of days, so ideas on how to make it more solid would be welcome.

Desert Rain
22-08-2009, 10:55
Prince
Reaver bow, vabrances of defense, heavy armor, shield, great weapon, tiranoc chariot
Looks fine to me, shooty, combaty and speedy at the same time. But if you put him on a barded steed instead he can join a unit of spearmen to give them a much needed boost and it will save you points enough to buy some more white lions and spearmen.

Noble
BSB, 4+ ward save light armor, great weapon
Looks fine a BSB is always important in an infantry line type of army, but how do you get the 4+ ward save?

Mage
Lv. 2, Scroll, seer staff (I think. It's the one that allows him to choose his spells)
This is a solid choice for a hero level mage, and yes the item is called Seerstaff of Saphery.

Mage
Lv. 2, Scroll, sacred incense
Sacred Incense is nice, but I wonder if it wouldn't be better to take Jewel of the Dusk instead to boos you're magic phase instead.

18 Spearmen
Full command

18 Spearmen
Full command

15 Pheonix Guard
Full command

12 White Lions
Musician

All of the above are good, solid choices.

5 Shadow Warriors
Many people will tell you that these are bad choices, but I like them for just the reasons you mention later.

Tiranoc Chariot

Tiranoc Chariot

Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower

Eagle
Once again, the above units are all good choices.

Overall I think it's a good list, I miss some cavalry but I don't see anything that you could remove to make room for some, unless you want to skip the white lions or a spear unit.

Lord Dan
22-08-2009, 18:00
Hey, thanks for the response. I agree about the lord, so I think I'll put him on a horse and keep him with one of the spearmen units. As for the BSB's armor, I have no idea. I made this list on my friend's army builder, and there was an option for a 45 point piece of light armor that conferred a 4+ ward save. If this is wrong, I was thinking about giving him the golden shield and some other fun item to keep him survivable. I agree about the jewel of the dusk, I just want to see if the sacred incense comes in handy in the game enough to justify keeping it on the mage. If not, it's JoTD all the way.

So having dropped the lord's chariot (and assuming the armor on the BSB is legit), putting him on a barded steed, and absorbing the points I was over, I have about 50 points to play with. Would it be worth it to boost the unit of White Lions, or should I keep them as they are (as more of a support unit) and take something else?

Desert Rain
23-08-2009, 10:20
Oh, my mistake, there is a magical armour that gives light armour an 4+ ward save. I have never even thought of it myself so that's probably why I didn't recognise it.

I've tried Sacred Incense on a mage against a shooty army, but it didn't really help. I think that the jewel is a better choice.

Unless you want to drop something to fit in some cavalry I think that the best option for those points is to either increase the size of the White Lions, making them more of a main combat unit instead of a support unit. The other option is to increase the size of the Phoenix Guard to reinforce their position as an anvil unit by making it more survivable.