PDA

View Full Version : Base size - would you have a problem if....

pointyteeth
21-08-2009, 18:10
I'm just curious, I have purchased a non-GW model to use as the WoC special character Throgg for an upcoming tournament. Problem is, he came with a 50x50 base. There is no mention in the army book regarding his base size, and the french chart that always surfaces in these forums makes no mention of throgg. Being a troll, I would think he'd be on a 40x40 base which I can make him fit on but it just looks weird.

Long story short, my question is this: If you were playing me and I had a throgg model on a 50x50 base in a unit of trolls which also had a hero on a juggernaught (50x50 base as well) would you consider this cheesy? (as the two 50x50 bases might cut down on the ability of a 5 wide unit of 20x20 bases to attack trolls).

I don't really see it being a problem, but since this will be in a tournament setting I would like to hear some opinions on the matter.

Lord Inquisitor
21-08-2009, 18:18
The person to ask is the organiser of the tournament, that's the only opinion that matters! We can say what we like, but if the tournie organiser disagrees, you need to abide by his/her ruling. Ask them!

That said, I've no big issue. It would also allow more models potentially to attack you too, so it is of dubious benefit.

I think any unit in combat with the front of that unit is pretty much toast anyway - I certainly woulnd't allow that unit in combat on anything less than my terms (i.e. a flank charge from me!). I don't think it'll crop up at all.

Bac5665
21-08-2009, 18:28
I am a big stickler for things being on the proper bases. But it really varies by opponent and I would play against it in a pickup game, but I would have a big problem in a tourney, and I would prolly say something even in a friendly game.

Staurikosaurus
21-08-2009, 21:48
Most people would not have a problem with it, however I'd suggest Throgg go on a 40mm base as he's a troll. All other trolls are on 40mm bases. In addition, it's reasonable to put your juggernaut on a standard cavalry base now as they are no longer monstrous mounts.

lcfr
21-08-2009, 21:51
Most people would not have a problem with it, however I'd suggest Throgg go on a 40mm base as he's a troll. All other trolls are on 40mm bases. In addition, it's reasonable to put your juggernaut on a standard cavalry base now as they are no longer monstrous mounts.

IIRC the WoC book mentions that all the daemonic mounts except for the Steed of Slaanesh are mounted on 40mm bases.

Staurikosaurus
21-08-2009, 21:59
No, it doesn't. It does however call them all cavalry. Which according to page 71 of the BRB are mounted on 25mm x 50mm bases. The models come with larger bases, but you would not be amiss to mount them on cavalry bases as all of the daemonic mounts are 1 wound models now.

theunwantedbeing
21-08-2009, 22:21
No, it doesn't. It does however call them all cavalry. Which according to page 71 of the BRB are mounted on 25mm x 50mm bases. The models come with larger bases, but you would not be amiss to mount them on cavalry bases as all of the daemonic mounts are 1 wound models now.

It calls them cavalry, despite not being mounted on cavalry bases.
So you use the bigger base they come with.(50x50mm)

I'de certainly try my best to get him to fit a 40x40mm base though.
It's worth posting a blog of it in the modelling thread with a pic of it to see how people think it'll look on the smallest available base and on the bigger one.

That said, the only time I've faced throgg was when he was on a 50x65mm(ish) base that was home made by the guy using it. I had no real issues with it.

Drachen_Jager
21-08-2009, 22:35
If there's no mention anywhere of what size base he's on and GW doesn't even provide a model I don't see how anyone can complain (as long as you don't put him on a 20 or 25mm base!). 50mm makes just as much sense as 40mm to me and I don't think the advantage of a 50mm vs a 40mm base outweighs the disadvantages. Normally if people are trying to cheat base sizes they downsize them.

pointyteeth
21-08-2009, 23:50
Wow, thanks for all the quick responses. I guess the first was the best (no offense to anyone intended). I'll email the organizer for his ruling. I'd prefer to leave him on a 50x50, and if so will likely put two trolls between him and the hero so small bases can get more against trolls (plus it defends my flanks, mwahahaha)

As to putting the jugger on a cavalry base; it came on a 50x50 and its from GW so I take it as official

@ unwantedbeing - I have a pic of him in my warrior blog (link in sig) on a 40mm base

nosferatu1001
22-08-2009, 00:04
The WOC book specifically states that they are cavalry US (2) despite not being 50x25mm, and therefore the base the model comes with is indeed the legal size.

As there is no model for Throgg you can technically put him on any base, within reason. However the "ask the TO" answer is however the best answer in almost every odd situation you can come across or aren't sure, as they are the final arbiters of anything really!

That said, 50x50mm is probabloy too big - nothing indicates Throgg is am onster and should therefore be on a 40mm base "Ogre Class" size.

pointyteeth
02-09-2009, 22:22
Hope this threadomancy isn't too bad. I got a reply from the event organizer and he said that the official GW ruling is that if there is no model or specified base size, you resort to the rulebook (ogre-size on 40x40 etc.) but are allowed to use a larger sized base if you wish (but not smaller).

As to this being "official GW ruling" I'm skeptical, but thats how he's handling it for this tournament.

Cheers

nosferatu1001
02-09-2009, 22:29
I;'ve never seen it as a general GW ruling, possibly some GTs have it, however it is fairly sensible although still prone to some abuse if you put things on much bigger bases.

Nurgling Chieftain
02-09-2009, 22:57
Ooo! Ooo! I should model my changeling as a Stegadon. :evilgrin:

pointyteeth
02-09-2009, 23:20
definately prone to abuse. Especially if its something that has some effect against models in base contact ;)

kyinpie
03-09-2009, 00:07
look at the TK tomb scorpion, its suppose to be on a 40mm base but comes with a 50mm base. i feel that there is more advntages then disadvantages here your more likly to get into base-to-base contact with that hero/lord! but its perfectly legal to put him on that 50mm base!!

also, have you put a tomb scorpion together? it hardly fits on the 50mm base, i dread to think how hard it would be to cram it on a 40mm base!!

but as stated above this could be opened up to abuse tho! look at the tomb king with the destroyer of eternities, imagine that on a 40mm base or 50mm base etc! leathal.

Bac5665
03-09-2009, 00:55
Um...Tomb Scorpions are supposed to be on 50mms. I don't know where you would have gotten 40mm...

Urgat
03-09-2009, 03:30
Um...Tomb Scorpions are supposed to be on 50mms. I don't know where you would have gotten 40mm...

Anyway, considering their design in W:AR (quite different), they're going to be redone anyway, so I wouldn't think too much about it.

Bac5665
03-09-2009, 12:44
Anyway, considering their design in W:AR (quite different), they're going to be redone anyway, so I wouldn't think too much about it.

Really? That's too bad; there are so many TK units that need redone more than the Scorps. :(

T10
03-09-2009, 13:49
I don't really see it being a problem, but since this will be in a tournament setting I would like to hear some opinions on the matter.

I don't see this as being a problem.

-T10

Draconian77
03-09-2009, 13:52
Nor do I, and I saw the model in your blog...you need the 50x50. :D

Nice paint job on the Knights by the way.

Asmodiseus
08-09-2009, 04:38
We had this come up in a game as well. It concerned the Bretonian Royal Pegasus. Pegasus Knights are mounted on a 40mm base, pretty much every monster mount I know of is mounted on a 40 or 50mm base. So common sense says a royal pegasus mount should be at least on a 40mm base, and yet it comes with a cavalry base. The only think I have found on the subject is page 7 or the BRB which states that monsters are normally mounted on a 40mm or larger base, but since it says normally the Bret player argues that this is not a hard and fast rule, which technically he is correct on. Any help on this one?

The Red Scourge
08-09-2009, 07:25
I am a big stickler for things being on the proper bases. But it really varies by opponent and I would play against it in a pickup game, but I would have a big problem in a tourney, and I would prolly say something even in a friendly game.

I really love this stand, here is a few examples why:

Ruleswise the black coach is a chariot, so it should go on 50x100 chariot base. Trouble is it needs a base at least 150 long, and only comes supplied with two 24x50 cavalry bases :p

Or the funny part about having two available HE dragons, one on a standard monster 50x50 base, and one on a chariot base - in a 3K battle they could both call themselves star dragons :D

The list goes on, but you probably know them all :)

Falkman
08-09-2009, 13:48
Pegasus Knights are mounted on a 40mm base, pretty much every monster mount I know of is mounted on a 40 or 50mm base. So common sense says a royal pegasus mount should be at least on a 40mm base, and yet it comes with a cavalry base.
That is an old model, back then it used a cavalry base.

Asmodiseus
08-09-2009, 17:01
That is an old model, back then it used a cavalry base.

In the Games Workshop catalog it only has one Royal Pegasus listed and it is shown modeled on a 25x50mm base you can find it here (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/listProducts.jsp?catId=cat40031)

flameberge
13-09-2009, 14:31
Personally since base size does effect the mechanics of the game I think it should be put on the proper size base. If it didn't affect game mechanics I wouldn't have cared.