PDA

View Full Version : Question for you guys

Philoclass
21-08-2009, 19:50
I am thinking of painting my models pretty quick and selling them. I have mostly space marines my question to you guys is what green color scheme of space marines besides salamanders would sell the best? Do you think dark angels or creating my own chapter. What do you think I could get on ebay for a 1750 space marine army painted at the quality shown here. here is links to some of my stuff

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk205/Philoclass/DSC00768.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk205/Philoclass/DSC00805.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk205/Philoclass/InfinityGroup.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk205/Philoclass/Infmonk.jpg

Lord Malorne
21-08-2009, 19:58
Unpainted would sell better, they just do, unless it is extremely high standard in which case selling as a lot is the way to go.

Bookwrak
21-08-2009, 19:59
Painted models do not sell very well at all, since most people aren't going to want to buy units that do not match the rest of their army.

Philoclass
21-08-2009, 20:12
So your saying that assembled unpainted models would sell better than good painted models? Or is my painting not that great?

isaac
21-08-2009, 20:16
Paint it to a VERY high standard and sell a FULL big army and still expect to take a loss.

Lord Malorne
21-08-2009, 20:21
So your saying that assembled unpainted models would sell better than good painted models? Or is my painting not that great?

Take a look at ebay before making your choice, browse the completed listings and compare yours to the closest thing that resembles them on the list to get a better idea.

isaac
21-08-2009, 20:21

People buy:

1. Diorama or Presentation Pieces (Painted to Golden Demon Standard)

2. Full armies (Painted to great tabletop standard or higher)

3. Armies/units to strip

4. Unpainted models

Only 1 or 2 can get reliably get you a profit, but it will still be hard and take a lot of time/money

3 and 4 will only get you money unless the buyer is an idiot, otherwise expect to take a loss.

If you want to make money, make a deal locally or start a painting service.

Your stuff is nice looking, but nothing amazing. So don't expect profit.

zeep
21-08-2009, 20:27
much like realestate, your profit on ebay (with miniatures) is made when you buy the piece originally. Attempting to make the profit off of the back end usually ends badly.

Before database price bots ebay used to be THE place to go, now, not so much.

t-tauri
21-08-2009, 20:29
Unless you're of Golden Daemon standard the best way to make money as a painter is by commission where people pay you to paint what they want. There you need to build a reputation for quality and reliability.

People won't pay huge amounts for pre-painted armies unless they're well themed or phenomenally painted. Mostly you'll lose money on an army bought at full retail and sold painted. When you look at the hours involved you'd probably make more cash working in a fast food restaurant. :(

Gray Hunter
21-08-2009, 20:58
I would definitely sell them unpainted. If you paint them you will waste your time, make less money and most likely the buyer will strip them anyway.

enygma7
21-08-2009, 22:06
I actually ran a business as a pro painter for some time. I made my money by selling fully painted armies on ebay primarily as "advertising" and then getting commission off the back of it. Fully painted stuff is usually worth less than the cost of the models unless it is to a very high standard with excellent quality professional looking photos and a well laid out ad in which case the price could be anything. A fairly low starting price with no reserve also helps (I used the rough price of the models). I did at least 4 blended stages on all colours and made about 700 off a 200 army. Given this was around a months full time work yes, I actually would have been better off working in a fast food restaurant which is one of the reasons why I no longer do it.

So basically: it will take you ages, be highly risky about whether you'll actually make much money and will be a less efficient use of your time than getting a job. Not wanting to be a kill joy, but its only really worth doing if you want to set yourself up full time as I usually got a few commissions off each ebay sale. The prices are also subject to fluctuations based on the economy, random chance and current exchange rates (every single army I did went abroad) and its impossible to see how well you'll do without actually doing it. Most of the successful pros are based on poland or other countries where the exchange rate really works for them with the main buyers (america, astralia, western europe).

To actually answer the question, I'd choose a marine chapter with a fairly bright colour scheme as bright colours come accross well in photographs. Dark angels are uncompetetive and so your unlikely to have a large player base. Interestingly I did once get a dark angels army for ebay as they had just been released. I then quit shortly after, which is the only reason why I now play dark angels.