PDA

View Full Version : Stegadon Builds

Guardian_A
21-08-2009, 19:49
Since I plan to write a little article on the different Stegadon Builds, I figured I would approach the community to gain the insights of other players. I want to do a short piece on each of the different builds to give a complete overview. All constructive criticism and insights are welcome.

1. Stegadon (Special Choice)
2. Ancient Stegadon (Rare Choice)
3. Skink Priest on Ancient Stegadon w/Engine of the Gods (Hero Choice)
4. Skink Chief on Stegadon (Hero Choice)
5. Skink Chief on Ancient Stegadon (Hero Choice)
6. Lord Mazdamundi on Zlaaq (Lord Choice)
7. Tehenhauin on Ancient Stegadon w/Engine of the Gods (Lord Choice)

mr_vespa
21-08-2009, 20:25
Here goes for my two cents on each of these beasties:

1) Stegadon (Special Choice): The baseline Stegadon, sporting a decent save for the skink crew and a poisoned bolt thrower. Effectiveness is very situational (versus cavalry heavy armies, large blocks of tough troopers); outclassed by other Stegadon choices. Still, fairly priced for an impact-hitting, terror-causing monster. Use according to strategic taste.

2) Ancient Stegadon: Compared to the 'normal' Stegadon, the Ancient trades 1 attack and the bolt thrower for dual giant blowpipes, added Str, a stronger save and a tougher howdah. The blowpipes are the bane of small units and unarmoured baddies. Much more versatile then its Special Choice counterpart, with added surivability and a tougher presence in the CC phase. Excellent unit, but eats up a rare choice.

3) Skink Priest with EotG: What's not to like about this combination? The EotG Ancient swaps the 'normal' Ancient's traditional weapon loadout for the Engine of the Gods, an extremely versatile piece of equipment that not only provides added protection and powers to your Skink Priest (effectively +1 magic level in terms of generating dice), but also allows the use of very handy abilities that greatly affect the battlefield. A definite investment for your magic needs. Can also serve as a support flanking unit, considering the Ancient Stegadon itself loses none of its combat potential, and still causes Terror.

4) Skink Chief on Stegadon: See Skink Chief on Ancient Stegadon for proper usage purposes. See Stegadon (Special Choice) for insight on the Stegadon itself. Also note that the Skink Chief's increased BS cannot benefit the Stegadon's bolt thrower.

5) Skink Chief on Ancient Stegadon: A Skink Chief, if mounted on a Stegadon, should *always* opt for the Ancient. Reasons are very simple: increased howdah save, increased Str (therefore, better impact hits) and more resilient beast, all for the price of a few extra points and losing a single attack compared to the 'normal' Stegadon. Whilst riding this beastie, the Skink Chief does not need to invest in extra armour (the howdah save cannot be modified), and should be carrying the Stegadon Warspear (on average, 8 Str 6 impact hits = a lot of hurt). This build is optimized for aggressive play: setting up charge patterns with decoy units/speed bumps, then charging widely into combat. Also note that in contrast to the EotG, this Ancient retains the usage of its dual giant blowpipes (see Ancient Stegadon Rare Choice for clarifications).

6) Lord Mazdamundi on Zlaaq: Very, very expensive Lord choice, but can also be very effective. Zlaaq acts as a palanquin for Mazdamundi, allowing him to cast spells at his leisure even if he is locked in melee. Mazdamundi is also tooled to be a very annoying toad, being able to seriously hamper an opponent's fighting effectiveness, and for righteous spellcasting (also consider Mazdamundi has access to the Ruination of Cities spell, a VERY potent and destructive form of magic). Mazdamundi and Zlaaq are also stubborn: this combined with Mazdamundi's high leadership and Battle Standard make them nigh unbreakable. All in all, a very potent combination, but more often overlooked and passed because of their very high point cost.

7) Tehenhauin on EotG: A first glance at Tehenhauin's point cost and statistics does not reflect his true potential for destruction. Being mounted on the EotG gives him increased mobility, protection and magical prowess (see Skink Priest on EotG), but also fits well with his more agressive style of spellcasting (Lore of Beasts) and abilties. The Prophet of Sotek boasts a stronger stat line than his Skink Priest cousins, and his equipment is axed towards close combat. The greatest advantage, however, lies in the fact that this combination effectively creates an near unbreakable EotG, capable of locking a hapless unit into combat while thoroughly punishing it with a ruthless barrage of attacks and constant blasting by the Engine itself. Tehenhauin is better suited in an army fielding a large number of Skinks, due to his special rules, but will never disappoint when charging recklessly on the field.

I hope this clears up your questions :).

jmcg1989
21-08-2009, 21:54
two things

where does it mention that the howdah save cannot be modified?
because for the life of me i cannot see it stated anywhere in the army book and i cannot think of any reason why it wouldnt be

secondly,
tenehuan loses his unbreakable ability when he mounts an eotg,
although with his increased leadership and stubborn stegadon this shouldnt really matter

mr_vespa
21-08-2009, 21:58
To specify:
a) if you read the Stegadon section (my book isn't on me atm, please specify!), I'm pretty sure it says the 2+/3+ save provided by the Steg's howdah cannot be modified. Or this might be me rambling about older lizzy rules.
b) Yes, you're right, my bad (I got leadership high :D). In the scenario that the Ancient Steg should die; Big T reverts to his normal self. Whilst riding it, he isn't unbreakable.

jmcg1989
21-08-2009, 22:08
To specify:
a) if you read the Stegadon section (my book isn't on me atm, please specify!), I'm pretty sure it says the 2+/3+ save provided by the Steg's howdah cannot be modified. Or this might be me rambling about older lizzy rules.
b) Yes, you're right, my bad (I got leadership high :D). In the scenario that the Ancient Steg should die; Big T reverts to his normal self. Whilst riding it, he isn't unbreakable.

I see where you are

however, to quote the passage
"Skink crew and characters riding a stegadon have a 3+ armour save, those riding an ancient stegadon have a 2+ armour save. These cannot be improved in any way"

taken simply, any armour a character is wearing soesnt affect the howdah save, but the save can still be modified by the attackers strength

mr_vespa
21-08-2009, 22:09
Thanks for the quote. By 'cannot be modified', I meant 'cannot be improved'. Strength will always lower a save in WHFB.

:D

jmcg1989
21-08-2009, 22:13
Thanks for the quote. By 'cannot be modified', I meant 'cannot be improved'. Strength will always lower a save in WHFB.

:D

ah

my misinterpretation

lol

WGMelchior
21-08-2009, 22:22
Page 55, look under the heading of Skink Crew. Normal stegadon gives unmodifiable 3+ save, Ancient gives unmodifiable 2+.

Desert Rain
22-08-2009, 09:14
I have only used 2 of the various builds. "The Engine-Priest" and the "Spear-Chief" so will give my opinion on those two:

The Engine-Priest is, in one word, amazing. The engine gives him all the benefits of being a L.3 wizard, except the extra spell. That, however, is easily solved by buying the Plaque of Tepok. For 15 points it's a steal. Always buy this item for the priest! The remaining points can be used for a dispel scroll, Blood Statuette, War drums, other things. I have only used the scroll as secondary item because, well it's a scroll and they're always good to have.
The War drums might be useful to have when you have to escape from a tight situation and to enhance speed and manoeuvrability in general, but I have never tried them.
The Engine itself gives the priest several nice abilities except the extra magic level. Burning Alignment is great for hurting several enemy units at once. Remember that it can be used while the engine is in close combat! The Portent of Warding is useful to protect your army from missile attacks while it is marching towards the enemy. The Arcane Configuration is, in my opinion, not as useful as the other two effects. I would suggest only using it when none of the other two effects are viable.

The Spear-Chief is simply a Skink Chief with the stegadon spear mounted on an ancient stegadon. Always take the ancient one because the increased strengh and save is priceless. The Spear-Chief is an excellent aggressive support unit with possibly 13 S6 impact hits on the charge, plus all the other normal attacks of course! Beware though, for the enemy knows how devastating this build is so he will try to take it out as quickly as possible, and being a large target it's pretty hard to shield it from incoming fire.

My 0.02$

artyboy
22-08-2009, 13:49
I do have a regular stegadon w/ warspear model. I just use it when I'm short on points and I still want to run another stegadon. That seems to happen a lot. Ancient stegadons are always better. When you need to cut costs don't hesitate to run a normal one, though. They're still amazing.

Whaagnomore
22-08-2009, 14:12
In the case someone out there already has a skink chief on an ancient with a stegadon warspear, and wants to field another, an interesting build is making the other bsb and giving him the frenzy banner. Frenzy on rider bounces to the steggy, which in turn bounces to the crew, 1 extra steg attack, 1 extra chief attack (prolly with spear) and 4 extra skink crew attacks, and if you put him and the warspear steg in even a small group of skinks you will have a ministegstar.

Guardian_A
22-08-2009, 20:53
Thanks guys, this is some great stuff, especially mr_vespa's original post. Keep the feedback coming! The more feedback I get the better my article will hopefully be.

wingedserpant
22-08-2009, 21:52
Page 55, look under the heading of Skink Crew. Normal stegadon gives unmodifiable 3+ save, Ancient gives unmodifiable 2+.

It means the lizzie player can't use items and armour to improve it.

Of course strength modifies it.

Jetty Smurf
23-08-2009, 05:37
In the case someone out there already has a skink chief on an ancient with a stegadon warspear, and wants to field another, an interesting build is making the other bsb and giving him the frenzy banner. Frenzy on rider bounces to the steggy, which in turn bounces to the crew, 1 extra steg attack, 1 extra chief attack (prolly with spear) and 4 extra skink crew attacks, and if you put him and the warspear steg in even a small group of skinks you will have a ministegstar.

I really like this idea. I have never even thought about skink chief bsb with frenzy banner before. I will definitely have to try this one out sooner rather than later ;)

gaiaterra
23-08-2009, 12:30
I have been running the following 1500 point list recently

Scar Vet with LA,S,GW and Venom of the Firefly Frog

Skink Priest, lvl 2, EotG, Blood Statuette of Spite

Skink Priest, lvl 2, EotG

20 Saurus, Spears, FC

10 Skink Skirmishers Javelin, Shield, Brave

Stegadon

Twin engines of the goods are evil, I use one to give itself its brother and the Saurus a 5+ ward against shooting, the second to lower the cost of Lore of Heavens, then march forwads leaving the skinks behind in cover to hold a table quater.

Once in range charge (flank charges for preference), unleash the smiting ability of both engines and watch your opponents army crumble when the impact hits are dished out.

mossel
23-08-2009, 15:09
How do you like a Skink Chief BSB on Stegadon Ancient with a regular spear, light armour, shield and carrying Huanchi's Blessed Totem?

I guess a Stegadon that charges 12+D6" will be quite a surprise for any opponent!
And this way, the Steg can get behind the enemy line by turn 2 or 3!

mr_vespa
24-08-2009, 18:47
Unless you need to patch up points/are worried that your steg won't last long because you're facing massive pew pew, investing in extra armour for your steg chief is useless. The howdah save cannot be improved (this has been cleared up in the last posts).

However, Huanchi is a sneaky tactic! Nice one! War Drums is another piece of gear that works well for a Steg-heavy/Cavalry-heavy list.

Axis
25-08-2009, 01:59
I don't play lizards, i play against them (my armies are WoC and Skaven). I have found that normal stegadons are more irritating than ancients. The 1 attack loss doesn't sound like much but my own experience has been that it is a big difference. I also feel the giant bow is far more threatening than blow pipes. I really makes me careful with my knights and it can hurt warriors too.

The normal steg is very versatile.

Tuch
25-08-2009, 02:18
I Like the Frenzy banner idea, it's very feasible and it's finally something different from the EOTG/topec/drums and Steg/spear builds.

Grupax
25-08-2009, 09:52
Tehenhauin on EotG:-- tehenhauin (profet of sotec) IS unbreakable, can he even mount an engine of the gods, and if he can (according to his rules he can -despite unbreakable rules), is it entirely unbreakable?

Kayosiv
25-08-2009, 11:53
No. However if the stegadon dies and he continues to fight on foot, he does become unbreakable.

mr_vespa
25-08-2009, 13:24
No. However if the stegadon dies and he continues to fight on foot, he does become unbreakable.

This was cleared up high up in the thread. Thanks to Kayosiv for added precisions :cool:.

Guardian_A
30-08-2009, 08:05
Thanks again guys, this has been some very enjoyable insights and has given me a lot of material to work with when working on my article. If anyone has anything more to add, feel free to do so, I'll be watching this thread closely for a while yet!

Guardian_A
05-09-2009, 00:44
So, I'm almost done writing my article on Stegadons now. I was wondering, does anyone have pictures of their own Stegadons they would like to share? I'd like to find pictures of each of the stegadon builds to place throughout the article, but even a couple would be nice.

PS: Please dont post pics of your Stegadon unless you are ok with me using them! I'll be happy to give you full credit for any pictures you post.

N810
05-09-2009, 03:07
Sure you can use some of mine...
I magnetized mine, so it can be any of them. :D
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3842267&postcount=121
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3842264&postcount=120
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3851696&postcount=123

Guardian_A
05-09-2009, 03:24
Thanks!

And very nicely done! I went ahead and saved a couple of your Stegadon pictures for the article when it comes out (I noted your user name and forum so I can reference where I got them.)